Monday, September 25, 2017 – 3:30 PM
Council Chambers • Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union
I. CALL TO ORDER
A.S. Executive Vice President, Vanessa Girard called the meeting to order at 3:34 PM in the Council Chambers at the Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union.
II. ROLL CALL
- Voting Members Present: Chimezie Ebiriekwe, Vanessa Girard, Hayden Willis, Chris Thomas, Anya Shutovska, Farris Nabulsi, Brie Hornig, Josh Miller, Michelle Sabin, Victor Uwakwe, Jessica Rentto.
- Voting Members Absent: Carmel Alon, Christy Samarkos.
- Non-Voting Members Present: Christina Brown, Aileen Wei
- Non-Voting Members Absent: None.
- Visitors: Mikayla Leier, Raven Tyson, Patty Rea, Rachel Gregg, Dr. Lee Mintz, Omar Baza, Kurt Hoffman, Carlos Careaga, SDSU Police Chief Josh Mays.
III. APPROVAL OF AGENDA
It was moved and seconded to approve the agenda for today’s meeting. SHUTOVSKA/MILLER CARRIED
IV. APPROVAL OF PREVIOUS MINUTES
It was moved and seconded to approve the Board of Directors meeting minutes of 09/18/17, as attached. HORNIG/SABIN CARRIED
V. PUBLIC COMMENT
VI. UNIVERSITY REPORTS AND PRESENTATIONS
- Business and Financial Affairs Designee: Jessica Rentto reported on the following:
- The CSU Board of Trustees approved the West Campus Housing Project. They are going through the Environment Impact Process (EIR) to respond to concerns.
- Chief Josh Mays will give an update on the campus policing update.
- University President’s Designee: None.
- SDSU Police Department Update – Chief Josh Mays (Time Certain 3:45 pm):
- Presented the mission and vison statement of the San Diego State University Police Department.
- Gave an update on the outreach efforts for police engagement on-campus.
- Discussed the administrative citation of $75 for biking, skateboarding, and smoking policy violations.
- The department will be hiring a new captain to manage police department activities.
- A.S. Annual Financial Audit Presentation – Carlos Careaga, AS Finance Director (Time Certain 4:15 pm):
- Explained the process and purpose of the audit committee.
- Presented the financial statements of 2016-2017, as attached.
VII. ITEMS FOR CONSIDERATION
- General Consent Agenda (Action): It was moved and seconded to approve the General Consent Agenda, as attached. SABIN/HORNIG CARRIED
- General Consent Report (Information): The general consent report was reviewed, as attached.
- 2016-2017 Full Year Financial Summary (Information) – Hayden Willis, AS VP of Financial Affairs (Immediately following VI.D)
- Hayden reviewed the full year fiscal ending June 30, 2017.
- A.S. continues to manage the effect of minimum wage across the organization, as its affect will continue to have an impact as minimum wage approaches $15 an hour.
- Approval of official A.S. check signers for Aztecs Rock Hunger and Student Organization Accounts (Action) (Immediately following VII.C)
- It was moved and seconded to approve the official A.S. check signers for Aztecs Rock Hunger and Student Organization Accounts, as attached. MILLER/WILLIS CARRIED
- Selection of BOD member to serve on Appointment and Review Ad-hoc Committee (Action)
- It was moved and seconded to appoint Michelle Sabin to serve on Appointment and Review Ad-hoc Committee. THOMAS/SHUTOVSKA CARRIED
VIII. CLOSED SESSION (Closed to Non-Members)
It was moved and seconded to move into closed session. THOMAS/MILLER CARRIED
A. Annual Evaluation of the Executive Director (Information) – Patty Rea, Human Resources Director
B. Quarterly Claims Review (Information) – Patty Rea, Human Resources Director & Raven Tyson, HR & Risk Management
It was moved and seconded to move out of closed session. THOMAS/SHUTOVSKA CARRIED
IX. BOARD OF DIRECTORS COMMITTEE REPORTS
- Audit Committee: None.
- Facilities Board: None.
- Financial Affairs Committee: None.
- Marketing and Communications Committee:
- The Request Submission form that is required to request the Marketing and Communications Committee’s support in promoting events is finalized.
- A.S. is going live on Friday, September 29 for Aztecs Rock Hunger.
- The Spirit Cart will be November 2 at 1:30-2:30 pm.
X. EXECUTIVE REPORTS
- President: Chimezie Ebiriekwe reported on the following:
- Gave an update on Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA). He intends to reach out to Student Affairs for information on next steps to market methods of support for students with DACA status.
- The applications for the Judicial Affairs Justice, Elections Coordinator, and Student Support Representative will be open until October 2.
- Encouraged members to attend a lecture given by a distinguished speaker September 26 at 2 pm in Montezuma Hall.
- The Presidential Search Committee Open Forum is available online at the CSU website.
- There will be a home football game against the Northern Illinois University Saturday, September 30. Aztecs Rock Hunger will begin!
- Executive Vice President: Vanessa Girard reported on the following:
- Six representatives are needed to attend the Campus Fee Advisory Council (CFAC) on November 2 from 8 am – 2 pm.
- Will work with the students-at-large from all A.S. councils to discuss competition teams for Aztecs Rock Hunger.
- Athletics is in the process of “Student Organization of the Game” for a student organization to be recognized at home games.
- Reminded the Board of Director students-at-large of their responsibilities.
- Vice President of External Relations: None.
- Vice President of Financial Affairs: Hayden Willis reported on the following:
- Aztecs Rock Hunger (ARH) will begin September 30 to October 22! The video for ARH will be finalized.
- Held a stakeholders meeting last Friday with representatives from Athletics, Aztecs Shops, and the Provost Office.
- Vice President of University Affairs: Chris Thomas reported on the following:
- There will be a New Registration Timeline Presentation at the Campus Life Council meeting on October 11.
- A Research Ad-hoc committee will be created to discuss undergraduate research.
- Gave an update on SDSU Police Department captain hiring process.
- The Economic Crisis Response Team (ECRT) met last week. Brie Hornig will be the main student liaison.
- Executive Director: Christina Brown reported on the following:
- Will attend a meeting in Long Beach with California State University (CSU) A.S. Senior staff. It will also include conversations on how to approach the topic of free speech on-campus.
- Christina plans to meet with Chief Josh Mays and Dr. Randy Timm to discuss a security assessment.
- Will discuss the article on the ARC fees in the Daily Aztec during the next BOD meeting.
XI. REPORTS OF BOARD OF DIRECTORS
- Josh Miller, Student-At-Large reported on the following:
- Excited to continue his work with SDSU Alumni on Aztecs Rock Hunger.
- Will meet with Campus Life Council Student-at-Large.
- Collaborated with Campus Community Commission.
- Brie Hornig, Student-At-Large reported on the following:
- Met with Jennifer Esquivel-Parker to discuss the student success fee proposal for cultural organizations.
- Farris Nabulsi, Student-At-Large reported on the following:
- Gave an update on the posters posted by the Horowitz organization.
- Will meet with the Educational Opportunity Program (EOP) to present on Associated Students to freshmen during the Summer Bridge program.
- Anya Shutovska, Student-At-Large reported on the following:
- Aztecs Rock Hunger will begin on Saturday, September 30!
- Encouraged members to be present at tabling events to gather support.
- Worked with GreenLove and Campus Service Commission.
- Attended the previous University Council to present on Aztecs Rock Hunger.
- Michelle Sabin, Student-At-Large reported on the following:
- Worked with the College of Professional Studies and Fine Arts to help with the “Lend a Hand” campaign.
- Attended a meeting on the sexual harassment presentation campaign with Carmel.
- Excited to serve on the Ad-hoc committee for elections!
- Victor Uwakwe, Student-At-Large reported on the following:
- Excited to continue working with the Greek Life Councils on Aztecs Rock Hunger.
It was moved and seconded to adjourn the meeting. HORNIG/SHUTOVSK CARRIED
The meeting was adjourned at 6:25 pm.
APPROVED BY: Chimezie Ebiriekwe, A.S. President
PREPARED BY: Aileen Wei, A.S. Government Secretary