Monday, August 28, 2017 – 3:30 PM
Council Chambers • Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union
I. CALL TO ORDER
A.S. President, Chimezie Ebiriekwe called the meeting to order at 3:31 PM in the Council Chambers at the Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union.
II. ROLL CALL
- Voting Members Present: Chimezie Ebiriekwe, Vanessa Girard, Hayden Willis, Carmel Alon, Chris Thomas, Anya Shutovska, Farris Nabulsi, Brie Hornig, Josh Miller, Michelle Sabin, Victor Uwakwe, Christy Samarkos, Jessica Rentto.
- Voting Members Absent: None.
- Non-Voting Members Present: Christina Brown, Aileen Wei
- Non-Voting Members Absent: None.
- Visitors: Mikayla Leier, Kyle Ziu, Stephanie Dathe, Carlos Careaga, Glen Brandenburg, Charlotte Roberts, Sabrina Laut, Christian Onwuka, Toni Sparrow, Jennifer Esquivel-Parker
III. APPROVAL OF AGENDA
It was moved and seconded to approve the agenda for today’s meeting. SABIN/MILLER CARRIED
IV. APPROVAL OF PREVIOUS MINUTES
It was moved and seconded to approve the Board of Directors meeting minutes of 08/14/17, as attached. SABIN/THOMAS CARRIED
V. PUBLIC COMMENT
VI. UNIVERSITY REPORTS AND PRESENTATIONS
- Business and Financial Affairs Designee: Jessica Rentto reported on the following:
- Campus Residence Hall move-in went smoothly.
- San Diego State University will be hosting Aztec Night events in the beginning of the semester for students to have fun on campus.
- The University will conduct a risk management assessment for the safety of students during events on-campus. Future discussion will occur on which methods to use to track attendance at on-campus events and student organization meetings.
- First Amendment rights are protected at student organization meetings, but the University needs to be informed of event speakers and attendees for security and safety reasons.
- University President’s Designee: Christy Samarkos reported on the following:
- There was successful attendance at SDSU welcome week events and Aztec Nights including New Student and Family Convocation, Red and Black Dance, and Screen on the Green.
- Gave an update on incidents and transports that occurred during the first weekend of school.
VII. ITEMS FOR CONSIDERATION
- General Consent Agenda (Action): None.
- General Consent Report (Information): None.
- Update on the Cal Coast Credit Union student banking initiative (Information): Carlos Careaga, Finance Director, explained the process benefits of student organizations banking with Cal Coast Credit Union.
- LimeBike Bike Bike Sharing (Info) – Glen Brandenburg, Director of Facilities and Sustainability / Green Love: Charlotte Roberts, Sustainability and GreenLove Commission Chair and Sabrina Laut, Sustainability and GreenLove Commission Representative presented on the program, LimeBike, that will allow students to utilize bike sharing on campus and in the community and answered questions about the pilot program.
- Request for program funding support for the SDSU Black Resource Center (Action): It was moved and seconded to approve the request for $40,000 for program funding support for the SDSU Black Resource Center, as attached. THOMAS/NABULSI CARRIED
- Student Union Media Studio (Action) – Stephanie Dathe, Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union Director: It was moved and seconded to approve the request for additional funding for Student Union Media Studio, as attached. SHUTOVSKA/UWAKWE CARRIED
VIII. CLOSED SESSION (Closed to Non-Members)
IX. BOARD OF DIRECTORS COMMITTEE REPORTS
- Marketing and Communications Committee: Reported on Basecamp program used to promote A.S. events.
X. EXECUTIVE REPORTS
- President: Chimezie Ebiriekwe reported on the following:
- Open campus forum will be held September 25 to get feedback for the search for a new University president.
- Survey will be sent out before the end of September to track the success and growth of A.S.
- Encouraged students-at-large to schedule a meeting at the front desk with the executive offices.
- Retreat was a success!
- Orientation will be on Wednesday, August 30.
- Chimezie plans to meet with students to help with proposals for the student success fee.
- Executive Vice President: Vanessa Girard reported on the following:
- Student Life and Leadership launched a campus app, CL@S (Campus Life at State), as a comprehensive source of events on campus.
- The 2017 theme for homecoming is “Clash of the Clan” against Fresno State University. A campus wide marketing launch goes live September 25. Meetings for homecoming will take place every other Wednesday at 2-3 pm starting September 6.
- A.S. Expo will be on Wednesday, August 30, from 10 am-2 pm.
- A mixer with SDSU Ambassadors will take place on Monday, September 18, from 4:30-6:30 pm at Aztec Lanes. RSVP and get to know the Ambassadors!
- Congratulations to ASUB on their successful “Union Block Party”!
- The KGB SkyShow will follow the game against University of California, Davis on Saturday, September 2 at Qualcomm Stadium.
- Vice President of External Relations: Carmel Alon reported on the following:
- A training with the Sexual Violence Taskforce will be available for the University Council and Campus Life Council.
- The External Relations Board meets on Mondays, 10 am in Council Chambers to discuss policies.
- Vice President of Financial Affairs: Hayden Willis reported on the following:
- Aztec Rock Hunger will continue to accept donations through Venmo. $18,000 was raised through Venmo last year!
- Video for Aztec Rock Hunger will be filmed on September 5 and September 7.
- Met with Carlos Careaga to discuss details of the pilot program with Cal Coast Credit Union.
- Vice President of University Affairs: Chris Thomas reported on the following:
- Council Orientation will be on Wednesday, August 30. An opportunity will be given to sign up for the University Senate.
- The A.S. University Affairs Board (UAB) will be re-branding their “Your Voice Matters” campaign. Please contribute ideas to Chris.
- Met with all college council advisors.
- Chris will be meeting individually with UC representatives.
- Excited to move forward after the retreat!
- The SDSU Blood Drive will take place on November 8 at Viejas Arena. Red Cross will be coming to the September 13 and September 20 A.S. meetings to discuss further.
- Executive Director: Christina Brown reported on the following:
- Great ideas at retreat this year!
- Christina will meet with Board of Directors members to help them with their goals.
- The Government Suite is available to be used throughout the year.
XI. REPORTS OF BOARD OF DIRECTORS
- Josh Miller, Student-At-Large reported on the following:
- Associated Students Council Retreat was a success!
- Excited to work for Aztec Rock Hunger.
- Brie Hornig, Student-At-Large reported on the following:
- Met with Gerardo Cabral to discuss CalFresh. This involved issues of accessibility to food resources for the undocumented.
- Farris Nabulsi, Student-At-Large reported on the following:
- Excited for the upcoming school year.
- Anya Shutovska, Student-At-Large reported on the following:
- Had a great time at the Associated Students Retreat!
- Michelle Sabin, Student-At-Large reported on the following:
- Excited for Campus Life Council and University Council meetings.
- Victor Uwakwe, Student-At-Large reported on the following:
- Excited for the school year!
- Working to create a statement on recent events surrounding the responsibility of free speech.
It was moved and seconded to adjourn the meeting. HORNIG/SABIN CARRIED
The meeting was adjourned at 6:23pm.
APPROVED BY: Chimezie Ebiriekwe, A.S. President
PREPARED BY: Aileen Wei, A.S. Government Secretary