Associated Students | San Diego State University
Monday, August 14, 2017 - 4:00pm
Council Chambers • Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union
I. CALL TO ORDER
A.S. President, Chimezie Ebiriekwe called the meeting to order at 4:03 PM in the Council Chambers at the Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union.
II. ROLL CALL
- Voting Members Present: Chimezie Ebiriekwe, Vanessa Girard (skype), Hayden Willis, Carmel Alon, Chris Thomas, Anya Shutovska, Farris Nabulsi, Brie Hornig (skype), Josh Miller, Michelle Sabin, Victor Uwakwe, Christy Samarkos, Jessica Rentto.
- Voting Members Absent: None.
- Non-Voting Members Present: Aileen Wei, Jennifer Esquivel-Parker.
- Non-Voting Members Absent: Christina Brown.
- Visitors: Linh Phan, Veronica Perondi, Kyla Blaylock.
III. APPROVAL OF AGENDA
It was moved and seconded to approve the agenda for today’s meeting. ALON/SABIN CARRIED
IV. APPROVAL OF PREVIOUS MINUTES
It was moved and seconded to approve the Board of Directors meeting minutes of 07/17/17, as attached. SHUTOVSKA/MILLER CARRIED
V. PUBLIC COMMENT
VI. UNIVERSITY REPORTS AND PRESENTATIONS
- Business and Financial Affairs Designee: None.
- University President’s Designee: Christy Samarkos reported on the following:
- Gave an update on the Chancellor’s Executive Order 110 eliminating the Entry Level Mathematics (ELM)/ English Placement Test (EPT) requirements for students starting at the bachelor level and beginning the Freshman Academic Success Track (FAST).
- The University is working on establishing a Black Resource Center. Students have stated there is a need on campus for a Black Resource Center. The Division of Students Affairs is providing a budget for staff, location, and renovation. They will be coming to the next AS Board of Directors meeting to ask for funding for programming for the center.
- There are five students with chickenpox in the Athletics department.
- Presentation of Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union Board Fall Programs (Time Certain 4:10 pm):
- Kyla Blaylock, Aztec Student Union Board Representative, and Veronica Perondi, Aztec Student Union Board Coordinator, presented the upcoming 2017-2018 events. There will be 49 events held on campus with a budget of $63,000. There will be a new system called “Presence” to collect data at events.
VII. ITEMS FOR CONSIDERATION
- General Consent Agenda (Action): None.
- General Consent Report (Information): None.
- Approval of official A.S. check signers (Action): It was moved and seconded to approve the official A.S. check signers memorandum, as attached. THOMAS/UWAKWE CARRIED
- Travel Request (Action): Hayden Willis, Vice President of Financial Affairs, reviewed the travel requests from:
- Alpha Kappa Psi
- Aztec Dance Marathon - It was moved and seconded to approve the Travel Requests from Alpha Kappa Psi and Aztec Dance Marathon, as attached. SHUTOVSKA/SABIN CARRIED
- Approval of A.S. Elections and Appointments Schedule, Spring 2018 (Action) (handout): It was moved and seconded to approve the A.S. Elections and Appointments Schedule, Spring 2018, as attached. THOMAS/MILLER CARRIED
- BOD members serving on Campus Fee, Advisory Committee, University Council and Campus Life Council (Action): The following placements were made: Josh Miller and Anya Shutovska to serve on the Campus Fee Advisory Committee; Victor Uwakwe, Michelle Sabin, and Farris Nabulsi to serve on University Council; and Josh Miller, Brie Hornig, and Anya Shutovska to serve on Campus Life Council. It was moved and seconded to approve the placements as listed above. GIRARD/MILLER CARRIED
VIII. CLOSED SESSION (Closed to Non-Members)
IX. BOARD OF DIRECTORS COMMITTEE REPORTS
X. EXECUTIVE REPORTS
- President: Chimezie Ebiriekwe reported on the following:
- Met with Todd Summers to discuss the Chancellor’s Executive order, which allows schools to serve alcoholic beverages at on-campus athletic events. Chimezie is working on a presentation with other A.S. Presidents that will cover responsible drinking.
- Aztec Shops lowered used textbook prices by 1-2%.
- Meals Plus plan increased flexibility to allow it to beused at the University Towers Kitchen.
- Introduced the 2017-18 A.S. Vision to transform the student experience by increasing student engagement and outreach, cultivating an environment of collaborative efforts, and creating innovative opportunities.
- Executive Vice President: Vanessa Girard reported on the following:
- Orientation was a success! Thanks to all who volunteered at the A.S. tent.
- Student Disability Services underwent a name change to Student Ability Success Center. Let Vanessa know if you would like to join the focus group regarding marketing this name change.
- One of the recruitment opportunities for Associated Students (A.S.) is on August 25 during move-in day.
- A.S. Expo is on August 30 from 10 am – 2 pm.
- Mandatory Council Orientation will take place from 3:30-6:30 pm on August 30.
- Welcome Back video will be filmed in the afternoon of August 15 from 4:30-6:00pm.
- Bring your reusable water bottle to the retreat on Sunday, August 20 through August 22. Text Vanessa if you have additional questions.
- Vice President of External Relations: Carmel Alon reported on the following:
- Attended CSUnity in Fresno and met with executive officers of other California State University (CSU) campuses. San Diego State University received the award for Excellence in Community Service for its Food Insecurity Initiatives.
- Encouraged the students-at-large to become familiar with the Student Involvement and Representation Fee (SIRF) for the California State Student Association of $2 to help bring awareness to students.
- Vice President of Financial Affairs: Hayden Willis reported on the following:
- Met with stakeholders and leadership team to discuss Aztec Rock Hunger (ARH). This year’s goal is to raise 500,000 lbs of food.
- Partnered with the Student Life and Leadership to create a video regarding A.S. banking/funding for recognized student organizations.
- Vice President of University Affairs: Chris Thomas reported on the following:
- Has been meeting with the Assistant Deans and the College Council Presidents to discuss goals for the year.
- Aztec Blood Drive will be November 8 at Viejas Arena. The committee is planning for 500 donors from the campus.
- Early Registration timeline will be effective Fall 2018. Registration for the Fall semester will begin in April and registration for the Spring semester will begin November.
- University Senate will have a new forum online available August 30.
- Executive Director: None.
XI. REPORTS OF BOARD OF DIRECTORS
- Josh Miller, Student-At-Large reported on the following:
- Excited for the Board of Directors retreat!
- Will set up meetings with the executive officers.
- Brie Hornig, Student-At-Large reported on the following:
- Will meet with Chris and the other executive officers to establish goals.
- Farris Nabulsi, Student-At-Large reported on the following:
- Will set up meetings with the executive officers.
- Excited for the retreat.
- Anya Shutovska, Student-At-Large reported on the following:
- Met up with the executive board during the summer to establish goals.
- Excited to get to know everyone better at retreat!
- Michelle Sabin, Student-At-Large reported on the following:
- Excited to meet and discuss goals with everyone.
- Victor Uwakwe, Student-At-Large reported on the following:
- Excited to move-in for the school year.
- Is ready for retreat!
It was moved and seconded to adjourn the meeting.
The meeting was adjourned at 5:44pm.
APPROVED BY: Chimezie Ebiriekwe, A.S. President
PREPARED BY: Aileen Wei, A.S. Government Secretary