Monday, July 17, 2017 – 4:00PM
Council Chambers • Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union
I. CALL TO ORDER
A.S. President, Chimezie Ebiriekwe called the meeting to order at 4:10 PM in the Council Chambers at the Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union.
II. ROLL CALL
- Voting Members Present: Chimezie Ebiriekwe, Vanessa Girard, Hayden Willis, Carmel Alon, Chris Thomas, Anya Shutovska, Farris Nabulsi (late), Brie Hornig (skype), Josh Miller, Michelle Sabin (skype), Victor Uwakwe (late), Christy Samarkos.
- Voting Members Absent: Jessica Rentto.
- Non-Voting Members Present: Christina Brown, Linh Phan, Jennifer Esquivel-Parker.
- Non-Voting Members Absent: None.
- Visitors: Steve DiPaolo, Gerardo Cabral, Jeff Carter, Tim Ripke, Lindsay Gunn, Carlos Careaga.
III. APPROVAL OF AGENDA
It was moved and seconded to approve the agenda for today’s meeting. ALON/THOMAS There was a friendly amendment to add item VI. D.Brief Update on the A.S. Website with a Time Certain at 4:13pm. There were no objections. The agenda was approved as amended. CARRIED
IV. APPROVAL OF PREVIOUS MINUTES
It was moved and seconded to approve the Board of Directors meeting minutes of 06/26/17, as attached. GIRARD/WILLIS CARRIED
V. PUBLIC COMMENT
VI. UNIVERSITY REPORTS AND PRESENTATIONS
- Business and Financial Affairs Designee: None.
- University President’s Designee: Christy Samarkos reported on the following:
- Gave some updates regarding orientations. 92% of incoming first-time freshmen are registered for orientation. 84% of out-of-state students are registered to attend orientations. 46/50 states are represented in the population.
- The University is working on increasing student send-offs as outreach effort.
- SDSU had 222 representatives registered for the Pride Parade.
- Introduction and Report of A.S. Legal Counsel (Time Certain 4:15pm):
- Jeff Carter introduced himself and his role as the A.S. Legal Counsel. He discussed his previous experiences and expressed excitement to be working with the A.S. leaders.
- Brief Update on the A.S. Website (Time Certain 4:13pm):
- Steve DiPaolo, Associate Director of Programs and Marketing, and Gerardo Cabral, Government Affairs Coordinator, reviewed the website updates regarding resources fighting food insecurity. They walked through the different resources provided for students and asked for feedback.
VII. ITEMS FOR CONSIDERATION:
- General Consent Agenda (Action): None.
- General Consent Report (Information): None.
- Viejas Arena Reorganization Proposal (Information) - Tim Ripke, Viejas Arena Director (Time Certain: Immedieately following Item Vi.C): Tim Ripke, Viejas Arena Director reviewed the Viejas Arena staff reorganization proposal and answered questions, as attached.
- Kronos Talent Acquisition Software Proposal/Request (Action) (Handout) - Lindsay Gunn, Human Resources Manager (Time Certain Immediately following VII. C): Lindsay Gunn, Human Resources Manager, reviewed the Kronos software and how it will benefit the Human Resources department, as attached. It was moved and seconded to approve the Kronos Talent Acquisition Software Proposal/Request. GIRARD/SHUTOVSKA CARRIED
- CalPERS Contribution Change and Proposal/Request for Compensation Market Survey (Action) (Handout)-Carlos Careaga, Finance Director and Christina Brown, Executive Director (Time Certain immediately following VII. D): Carlos Careaga, Finance Director, informed everyone about the changes in the CalPERS pension plan and explained the purpose of the market survey. It was moved and seconded to approve the CalPERS Contribution Change and Proposal/Request for Compensation Market Survey, as attached. ALON/THOMAS CARRIED
- Travel Request (Action): Hayden Willis, Vice President of Financial Affairs, reviewed the travel requests from:
- Lambda Theta Phi
- Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity
It was moved and seconded to approve the Travel Requests from Lambda Theta Phi and Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity, as attached. SHUTOVSKA/MILLER CARRIED
VIII. CLOSED SESSION (Closed to Non-Members)
IX. BOARD OF DIRECTORS COMMITTEE REPORTS
X. EXECUTIVE REPORTS
- President: Chimezie Ebiriekwe reported on the following:
- Will work with Carmel to increase awareness and transparency regarding the California State Student Association (CSSA)’s Student Involvement & Representation Fee (SIRF).
- Met with the Aztec Student Union Board leadership to discuss collaboration plans.
- He and the executive officers met with Channelle McNutt to work on implementing a diversity and inclusion program.
- Will be bringing the proposals for funding for the Black Resource Center to next Board of Directors meeting.
- The executive officers are finalizing their goals and vision and will have it ready at next meeting
- Executive Vice President: Vanessa Girard reported on the following:
- Student football tickets can now be picked up at the Info Booth in the Student Union. Limited to student tickets only. Guest tickets still have to be picked up at Viejas Box Office.
- Homecoming logo design contest has started! Theme this year is Clash for the Can.
- A.S. Retreat agenda is still being finalized. Vanessa and Jen will be touring campsite this Wednesday.
- Is looking forward to have more collaboration between A.S. and the Residence Halls.
- Orientation continues a success! A.S. has more than 110 sign-ups so far!
- She will be working with Kim Alli, Chief Justice, on how to make council requirements more meaningful.
- Let her know if you have any ideas for Campus Life Council this year.
- Vice President of External Relations: Carmel Alon reported on the following:
- Attended CSSA at Long Beach this past weekend. This year CSSA’s agenda includes affordability, campus climate, mental health, how to achieve professional success.
- Attended the College Area Community Council meeting. The Community voted to approve the apartment building on 63rd street.
- Will meet with Sam, MarComm Commissioner to work on collaboration goals.
- Vice President of Financial Affairs: Hayden Willis reported on the following:
- Gave a few updates regarding Aztec Rock Hunger (ARH). He toured the Food Bank. The student committee is being assembled so please let him know if you are interested in joining.
- Is working on an ARH promotional video.
- Will meet with Dr. Randy Timm, Dean of Students, on how to improve student organization banking process.
- Vice President of University Affairs: Chris Thomas reported on the following:
- Has been doing facilities tours.
- Informed everyone about the new library software called “One Search”.
- University Council members will be reaching out for Board of Directors for guidance and help in the upcoming semester.
- University Senate Committee positions are available. Please let Chris know if you are interested in serving on a committee.
- Your Voice Matters is now a part of University Affairs Board. They will be working on revamping the campaign.
- Executive Director: Christina Brown reported on the following:
- Student Support Commission will be taking on the Food Pantry initiative.
- Pride Parade was amazing!
- She will be working on staff goals once the officers have their vision finalized for this year.
- Financial Affairs Committee tours facilities as well in the Fall semester. If you are interested, please reach out to Carlos or Hayden.
XI. REPORTS OF BOARD OF DIRECTORS
- Josh Miller, Student-At-Large reported on the following:
- Is planning on meeting with the executive officers on how he can help them with their goals.
- Anya Shutovska, Student-At-Large reported on the following:
- Will meet with Carmel and other Student-At-Larges to discuss goals.
- Recruitment at orientation was amazing!
- Brie Hornig, Student-At-Large had no report.
- Michelle Sabin, Student-At-Large reported on the following:
- Apologized for not being able to attend meetings but she will be here for the last summer BOD meeting.
- Farris Nabulsi, Student-At-Large reported on the following:
- Will set up meetings with the executive officers.
- Victor Uwakwe, Student-At-Large reported on the following:
- Will meet with everyone soon.
XII. ADJOURNMENT (Time Certain 5:50PM)
It was moved and seconded to adjourn the meeting. HORNIG/SABIN CARRIED
The meeting was adjourned at 6:00pm.
APPROVED BY: Chimezie Ebiriekwe, A.S. President
PREPARED BY: Linh Phan, A.S. Government Secretary