Monday, April 24, 2017 – 3:30 PM
Council Chambers, Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union
I. CALL TO ORDER
A.S. President, Jamie Miller called the meeting to order at 3:42 PM in the Presidential Suite at the Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union.
II. ROLL CALL
- Voting Members Present: Jamie Miller, Patty Masengale, Dylan Colliflower, Chimezie Ebiriekwe, Daniel Matlock, Michael Kagan, Dustin Pina, Jessica Rentto, Christy Samarkos.
- Voting Members Absent: Alex Shapiro.
- Non-Voting Members Present: Christina Brown, Linh Phan, Hayden Willis for Alex Shapiro.
- Non-Voting Members Absent: None.
- Visitors: Carlos Careaga, Jordan Maharaj, Ana Morino, Nicolai Mlodiow, Anya Shutovska, Oday Yousif, Sam Emami.
III. APPROVAL OF AGENDA
It was moved and seconded to approve the agenda for today’s meeting.
IV. APPROVAL OF PREVIOUS MINUTES
It was moved and seconded to approve the Board of Directors meeting minutes of 4/17/17, as attached.
V. PUBLIC COMMENT
VI. UNIVERSITY REPORTS AND PRESENTATIONS:
- Business and Financial Affairs Designee: None.
- University President’s Designee: Christy Samarkos reported on the following: 1. Yielded her time to Ana Morino to speak about the new registration timeline. Ana received feedback from Board of Directors regarding if registration for Fall classes should be early April or late April, and what are some strategies to help promote this change to students.
VII. ITEMS FOR CONSIDERATION
- General Consent Agenda (Action): It was moved and seconded to approve the general consent agenda.
- General Consent Report (Information): The general consent report was reviewed. Patty Masengale made a friendly amendment to amend the Campus Life Council minutes on 4/19/17. There were no objections.
- 2017/18 A.S. Budget (Action) (Time Certain 4pm): Carlos Careaga, Finance Director, presented the 2017/18 A.S. budget to Board of Directors again. It was moved and seconded to approve the 2017/18 A.S. Budget. MATLOCK/COLLIFLOWER CARRIED
- Proposed Bylaws Amedments (Action): Jordan Maharaj, Chief Justice, reviewed the proposed bylaw amendments with Board of Directors again.
It was moved and seconded to approve the proposed bylaw amendments from the Student Diversity Commission, the University Council Representative Duties, the College of Business Council, the A.S. Board of Directors, the Judicial Affairs Council’s Last Chance Alternative and the Proposed Structure Changes.
It was moved and seconded to revert section 32 item E of the Board of Directors bylaw amendments to the original language, while omitting “University Council”.
It was moved and seconded to go into a 5 minute recess.
It was moved and seconded to separate out the proposed structure changes from the proposed bylaws amendments.
It was moved and seconded to call to question.
COLLIFLOWER/MATLOCK FAILED, (2-6-0)
All proposed bylaw amendments were approved as amended.
VIII. CLOSED SESSION (Closed to Non-Members)
- Proposed Annual Evaluation of Executive Director and Response (Action):
It was moved and seconded to move into Closed Session.
Jamie Miller, A.S. President, presented the proposed annual evaluation of Executive Director and Response.
It was moved and seconded to approve the proposed annual evaluation of executive director and response.
It was moved and seconded to move out of Closed Session.
IX. BOARD OF DIRECTORS COMMITTEE REPORTS:
- Facilities Board: Patty will speak with Vanessa to have meetings on a needs-basis.
- Marketing and Communications Committee: Commencement video will be a summer project for MarComm.
X. EXECUTIVE REPORTS:
- President: Jamie Miller reported on the following:
- Is incredibly proud of A.S. She thanked everyone for a great year!
- Executive Vice President: Patty Masengale reported on the following:
- Thanked everyone for attending the Aztec Achievement Awards (AAAs)!
- Transition dinner is canceled. Patty will work with Tagg and Alexis regarding transition binders.
- Last council meeting is this Wednesday.
- Vice President of External Relations: Dylan Colliflower reported on the following:
- Is working with Carmel on a tabling event for “Choose CSUs” on either May 1 or 2.
- Is glad to have the opportunity to serve with everyone despite having challenges throughout the year.
- Vice President of Financial Affairs: None.
- Vice President of University Affairs:
- Thanked Patty for an amazing AAAs!
- Thanked everyone for an incredible year. Excited for what to come next year.
- Thanked Jessica, Christy and Christina for showing shared governance by attending these meetings.
- Executive Director: Christina Brown reported on the following:
- It’s been a fantastic year!
- Wednesday at 3:30pm is the passing the gavel meeting. Incoming leaders will be in the office at 4:30pm to fill out paperwork before starting their first meeting.
XI. REPORTS OF BOARD OF DIRECTORS:
- Michael Kagan, Student-At-Large reported on the following:
- Thanked everyone for attending A Walk to Remember.
- There are only 3 weeks left until graduation!
- Thanked everyone for believing in him this whole year and his entire A.S. career in general.
- Wrote a poem for BOD, “Roses Are Red, Violets Are Blue, A.S. Can Empower, Both for Me and You”
- Dustin Pina, Student-At-Large reported on the following:
- Appreciated all the hard work everyone has done.
- Daniel Matlock, Student-At-Large reported on the following:
- It’s been a pleasure to serve with everyone on Board of Directors with everyone here.
It was moved and seconded to adjourn the meeting.
The meeting was adjourned at 6:02pm.
APPROVED BY: Jamie Miller, A.S. President
PREPARED BY: Linh Phan, A.S. Government Secretary