Monday, April 10, 2017 – 3:30 PM
Council Chambers, Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union
I. CALL TO ORDER
A.S. President, Jamie Miller called the meeting to order at 3:44 PM in the Presidential Suite at the Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union.
II. ROLL CALL
- Voting Members Present: Jamie Miller, Patty Masengale, Dylan Colliflower, Chimezie Ebiriekwe, Daniel Matlock, Mustafa Alemi, Michael Kagan, Arnelle Sambile, Christy Samarkos.
- Voting Members Absent: Alex Shapiro, Dustin Pina, Chloe Sension, Jessica Rentto.
- Non-Voting Members Present: Christina Brown, Linh Phan.
- Non-Voting Members Absent: None.
- Visitors: Sarah Bentley, Carlos Careaga, Jordan Maharaj, Ozair Purmul, Ana Morino, Erin Gonzalez, Farris Nabulsi, Patty Rea.
III. APPROVAL OF AGENDA
It was moved and seconded to approve the agenda for today’s meeting.
There was a motion to remove item VII. C. Approval of Proposed annual evaluation of Executive Director and response from Executive Director (time certain immediately following closed session). There were no objections.
The agenda was approved as amended. CARRIED
IV. APPROVAL OF PREVIOUS MINUTES
It was moved and seconded to approve the Board of Directors meeting minutes of 03/20/17, as attached.
V. PUBLIC COMMENT
VI. UNIVERSITY REPORTS AND PRESENTATIONS:
- Business and Financial Affairs Designee: None.
- University President’s Designee: Christy Samarkos reported on the following:
- Hoped that heading into finals is good for everyone.
VII. ITEMS FOR CONSIDERATION
- General Consent Agenda (Action): It was moved and seconded to approve the general consent agenda.
- General Consent Report (Information): The general consent report was reviewed.
- S17-04 Board of Directors (Information): Jordan Maharaj, Chief Justice reviewed the proposed bylaw amendments with Board of Directors and received feedback.
- Review of JAC decision to remove Ozair Purmul from University Council (Time Certain 4:00pm): Ozair Purmul, Ana Morino and Jordan Maharaj gave statements regarding Judicial Affairs Council’s recommendation to remove Ozair Purmul as College of Engineering representative from University Council.
It was moved and seconded to reverse the Judicial Affairs Council decision to remove Ozair Purmul from University Council.
ALEMI/MATLOCK CARRIED, (4-2-2)
VIII. CLOSED SESSION (Closed to Non-Members)
- Proposed annual evaluation of Executive Director and response from Executive Director (Time Certain 4:30pm): It was moved and seconded to move into Closed Session.
Patty Rea, Human Resource Director, reviewed the proposed annual evaluation of Executive Director.
It was moved and seconded to move out of Closed Session.
IX. BOARD OF DIRECTORS COMMITTEE REPORTS:
- Financial Affairs Committee: Approved the 2017-18 budget today. Carlos will present the budget at next week’s meeting.
- Marketing and Communications Committee: Is working on a video with Patty for the A.S. Is campaign.
X. EXECUTIVE REPORTS:
- President: Jamie Miller reported on the following:
- Reminded everyone that BOD meetings will be long. Feel free to bring snacks to meetings if you would like!
- Encouraged everyone to do their research regarding the different resolutions coming through A.S. and provide guidance for council members as well.
- Please start thinking about transition.
- Reminded everyone to be on their best behavior as they represent A.S.
- JAC and BOD joint meeting will be this Wednesday at 9am in Visionary Suite.
- Executive Vice President: Patty Masengale reported on the following:
- Please RSVP for the Aztec Achievement Awards (AAA) will be on April 20th.
- Will meet with Steve and videographers to further discuss information regarding the A.S. Is video.
- #NotSilencedBecause for Take Back the Week is at 5:30pm.
- Informed everyone that Steve Fisher has retired.
- Appointments and Review Committee will begin meeting starting this Thursday.
- Vice President of External Relations: Dylan Colliflower reported on the following:
- Is working on transition documents for Carmel, the Vice President of External Relations elect.
- Will be going to Sacramento on May 2 to advocate for fully funded CSUs.
- ERB will be tabling on May 2 for the Choose CSUs campaign.
- ERB took action to support AB 214 today.
- Phone banking will be this Friday.
- Vice President of Financial Affairs: None.
- Vice President of University Affairs:
- Attended the Crossroads event honoring African American staff members on campus.
- Is working with college council presidents to draft bylaw amendments. He will be sending out a reminder email for UC reps to bring it feedback for the resolutions as they will be voting on them this Wednesday.
- Executive Director: Christina Brown reported on the following:
- Saw Jen last night! She is doing well.
- Janice and Brandi will be coming back this Wednesday.
XI. REPORTS OF BOARD OF DIRECTORS:
- Chloe Sension, Student-At-Large reported on the following: None.
- Michael Kagan, Student-At-Large reported on the following:
- April 24 at 1pm is the Walk to Remember event hosted by the Jewish Student Union. Please attend and wear all black.
- Reviewed BOD goals from previous years. He will be in discussion with the execs and Christina to have a possible housing fair for students.
- Dustin Pina, Student-At-Large reported on the following: None.
- Mustafa Alemi, Student-At-Large reported on the following:
- Met with Marissa Torres to talk about High School Conferences.
- Arnelle Sambile, Student-At-Large reported on the following:
- Students of Color Conference is on April 23.
- Is working Farris to have EOP students more involved with FLI and Bridge programs.
- Daniel Matlock, Student-At-Large reported on the following:
- Research and Assessment will meet this Friday.
It was moved and seconded to adjourn the meeting.
The meeting was adjourned at 6:14pm.
APPROVED BY: Jamie Miller, A.S. President
PREPARED BY: Linh Phan, A.S. Government Secretary