Monday, March 20, 2017 – 3:30 PM
Council Chambers, Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union
I. CALL TO ORDER
A.S. President, Jamie Miller called the meeting to order at 3:33 PM in the Council Chambers at the Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union.
II. ROLL CALL
- Voting Members Present: Jamie Miller, Patty Masengale, Dylan Colliflower, Alex Shapiro (late), Chimezie Ebiriekwe, Dustin Pina, Daniel Matlock, Mustafa Alemi, Michael Kagan, Chloe Sension, Jessica Rentto.
- Voting Members Absent: Arnelle Sambile, Christy Samarkos.
- Non-Voting Members Present: Christina Brown, Linh Phan.
- Non-Voting Members Absent: None.
- Visitors: Sam Emami, Carlos Careaga, Jordan Maharaj, Mohammed Ahmed, Josh Skolnick, Ben Delbick, Hannah Fogg, Cynthia Medina.
III. APPROVAL OF AGENDA
It was moved and seconded to approve the agenda for today’s meeting.
IV. APPROVAL OF PREVIOUS MINUTES
It was moved and seconded to approve the Board of Directors meeting minutes of 03/06/17, as attached.
V. PUBLIC COMMENT
Sarah Bentley, College of Arts and Letters representative informed everyone that the application for CSU Trustee is now open. She encouraged everyone to help spread the word.
VI. UNIVERSITY REPORTS AND PRESENTATIONS:
- Business and Financial Affairs Designee: Jessica Rentto reported on the following:
- President Hirshman will be here until June 30. The Chancellor’s office will be searching for a new interim president.
- Thanked everyone for participating in Explore SDSU. It went very well.
- Addressed the tabling issue today. Some tablers violated the university policy and were asked to leave.
- University President’s Designee: None.
- Civic Engagement Presentation-Mohammed Ahmed, Center for InterCultural Relations (Time Certain 3:35pm):
- Introduced himself and his role as Community Engagement and Special Assistant to the Dean of Students.
- Explained what is civic engagement and why is it important.
VII. ITEMS FOR CONSIDERATION
- General Consent Agenda (Action): It was moved and seconded to approve the general consent agenda.
- General Consent Report (Information): The general consent report was reviewed.
- BA S17-04 Board of Directors (Information): Postponed.
- Selection of Board of Director Members to serve on the Appointment and Review Committee (Action): It was moved and seconded to appoint Dustin Pina and Mustafa Alemi to serve as Board of Directors representatives on the Appointment and Review Committee. SENSION/MATLOCK CARRIED
- Review of JAC decision to remove Josh Skolnick from University Council (Time Certain 5:00pm): Josh Skolnick, Ben Delbick, Hannah Fogg, Cynthia Medina, and Jordan Maharaj gave statements regarding Judicial Affairs Council’s recommendation to remove Josh Skolnick as College of Business representative from University Council.
It was moved and seconded to reverse the Judicial Affairs Council decision to remove Josh Skolnick from University Council.
SENSION/MASENGALE CARRIED, (6-3-1)
VIII. CLOSED SESSION (Closed to Non-Members)
IX. BOARD OF DIRECTORS COMMITTEE REPORTS:
- Financial Affairs Committee: Is working on budget deliberation. After spring break, they will consolidate the budgets. By the last week of April, Carlos hopes to have a full presentation on budget for Chimezie as president-elect to sign.
- Marketing and Communications Committee: 20% voter turnout for A.S. elections! They will debrief A.S. elections at this week’s meeting.
X. EXECUTIVE REPORTS:
- President: Jamie Miller reported on the following:
- The executive officers will be meeting with Chancellor White regarding the search for the interim president. There will be a survey sending out to students asking for feedback on what qualities they would want from the interim president.
- Executive Vice President: Patty Masengale reported on the following:
- Aztec Achievement Awards (AAA) will be on April 20th.
- Reminded everyone to keep attending meetings to lead by example.
- Vice President of External Relations: Dylan Colliflower reported on the following:
- Attended California Higher Education Student Summit (CHESS) last weekend. It went very well.
- Is working on the tuition increase video. Hopefully will be published by May 2nd for the mobilizing event.
- Vice President of Financial Affairs:
- Final rebudget is this Thursday for cultural organizations.
- Approved rebudget for the Daily Aztec.
- Will elect a new Campus Program Funding (CPF) Chair.
- Vice President of University Affairs:
- Is working with college council presidents to ensure that representatives have a good understanding of the resolutions that they are voting on.
- Executive Director: Christina Brown reported on the following:
- Campus Community Commission cancelled their meeting today to vote on “A Resolution to Condemn Anti-Semitism” because the agenda was not posted and they did not want to violate Gloria Romero open meetings rule. They will meet at 9am on Wednesday.
- Will be scheduling one-on-one with everyone in Board of Directors to reflect on the year.
- She appreciates everyone and their hard work.
XI. REPORTS OF BOARD OF DIRECTORS:
- Chloe Sension, Student-At-Large reported on the following: None.
- Michael Kagan, Student-At-Large reported on the following:
- Will be doing one more A.S. Live with the transitioning execs.
- Attended the Student Diversity Commission (SDC) meeting regarding “A Resolution to Retire the San Diego State University Mascot and Moniker”. They will be having their 2nd reading after spring break.
- Dustin Pina, Student-At-Large reported on the following:
- Is working on transition.
- Mustafa Alemi, Student-At-Large reported on the following:
- Is working on streamlining high school conferences. He met with Edwin and Marissa to see if it is possible.
- Will be meeting with presidents of cultural organizations regarding the A.S. election to make sure that they remain engaged with A.S.
- Arnelle Sambile, Student-At-Large reported on the following: None.
- Daniel Matlock, Student-At-Large reported on the following:
- Is helping Tagg and Alexis, the Campus Life Council Students-at-Large, to talk about their roles for transitions.
- Looking forward to meeting on Wednesday with JAC.
It was moved and seconded to adjourn the meeting.
The meeting was adjourned at 5:51pm.
APPROVED BY: Jamie Miller, A.S. President
PREPARED BY: Linh Phan, A.S. Government Secretary