Monday, March 6, 2017 – 3:30 PM
Council Chambers, Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union
I. CALL TO ORDER
A.S. President, Jamie Miller called the meeting to order at 3:36 PM in the Council Chambers at the Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union.
II. ROLL CALL
- Voting Members Present: Jamie Miller, Patty Masengale, Dylan Colliflower, Dustin Pina, Daniel Matlock, Mustafa Alemi, Michael Kagan, Arnelle Sambile, Jessica Rentto.
- Voting Members Absent: Alex Shapiro, Chimezie Ebiriekwe, Chloe Sension, Christy Samarkos.
- Non-Voting Members Present: Christina Brown, Linh Phan, Jennifer Esquivel-Parker.
- Non-Voting Members Absent: None.
- Visitors: Sam Emami, Carlos Careaga, Jordan Maharaj, Jenna Beuck, Maneet Deol.
III. APPROVAL OF AGENDA
It was moved and seconded to approve the agenda for today’s meeting.
There was a motion to remove item C. San Diego State University Chief of Police Josh Mays and add a time certain at 4pm for Financial Affairs Committee update. There were no objections.
The agenda was approved as amended. CARRIED
IV. APPROVAL OF PREVIOUS MINUTES
It was moved and seconded to approve the Board of Directors meeting minutes of 02/20/17, as attached.
V. PUBLIC COMMENT
VI. UNIVERSITY REPORTS AND PRESENTATIONS:
- Business and Financial Affairs Designee: None.
- University President’s Designee: None.
- Judicial Affairs Update (Time Certain 4:15pm):
- Jordan reminded everyone that bylaw amendments are due March 10 to Jen and Jordan with track changes.
- Jenna updated everyone on the elections process.
- Candidate debates started today and will continue until Wednesday.
VII. ITEMS FOR CONSIDERATION
- General Consent Agenda (Action): It was moved and seconded to approve the general consent agenda.
- General Consent Report (Information): The general consent report was reviewed.
VIII. CLOSED SESSION (Closed to Non-Members)
IX. BOARD OF DIRECTORS COMMITTEE REPORTS:
- Financial Affairs Committee (Time Certain at 4pm): Carlos Careaga, Finance Director, encouraged everyone to spread the word about available funding for travel requests. Next week, FAC will begin budget hearings.
X. EXECUTIVE REPORTS:
- President: Jamie Miller reported on the following:
- Met with Aztec Shops Dining Services.
- Research and Assessment Committee met last Friday and will move forward with the data collected. They are also looking into charter amendments.
- Please let Jamie know if you are unable to attend your one-on-one meeting with Jamie.
- Black Resource Center will be going through A.S. for feedback soon.
- Executive Vice President: Patty Masengale reported on the following:
- Aztec Achievement Awards (AAA) received 60 nominations! The committee voted on the recipients last week. AAA will be on April 20th.
- Men’s basketball is finished! We got 6th place.
- Football schedule has been released for next year.
- Take Back the Week will be from April 10-14. Patty is looking into revamping the video.
- Reminded Campus Life Council to not wear campaign materials during A.S. meetings.
- Recommended a book called The Defining Decade.
- Vice President of External Relations: Dylan Colliflower reported on the following:
- Is attending California Higher Education Student Summit (CHESS) this weekend.
- External Relations Board took action on the following bills: they supported AB 17 and AB 216, and watched AB 214 and AB 393.
- Vice President of Financial Affairs: None.
- Vice President of University Affairs: None.
- Executive Director: Christina Brown reported on the following:
- Addressed the media attention regarding YG. She informed everyone that he did get paid.
- Campus Community Commission read through “A Resolution to Condemn Anti-Semitism” today. Jeff Carter, A.S. Legal Counsel, recommended the commission and everyone else interested to look at the Campus Freedom of Expression policy from the University. The commission will be doing research on their own regarding the resolution.
XI. REPORTS OF BOARD OF DIRECTORS:
- Chloe Sension, Student-At-Large reported on the following: None.
- Michael Kagan, Student-At-Large reported on the following: None.
- Dustin Pina, Student-At-Large reported on the following:
- Reminded everyone to RSVP to the Business Career Fair on March 16 with Career Services if you would like to attend.
- Congratulated the 10th Annual Student Research Symposium that happened on March 3-4th.
- Mustafa Alemi, Student-At-Large reported on the following: None.
- Arnelle Sambile, Student-At-Large reported on the following:
- Apologized for not being at meetings. She has been traveling.
- Met with Shayla to discuss sustainability on other campuses.
- Black Resource Center is in development. Please contact Edwin or Arnelle if you would like more details.
- Border Patrol will be at the Career Fair on Thursday. She reminded everyone to stay alert in case a protest happens.
- Daniel Matlock, Student-At-Large reported on the following:
- Met with Campus Community Commission about Robert’s Rules.
- Met with Joey Lucero, Student Support Commissioner, about the Career Fair.
- Reminded everyone to please take their A.S. council composite photos with Joey. Deadline is this Wednesday.
It was moved and seconded to adjourn the meeting.
The meeting was adjourned at 5:15pm.
APPROVED BY: Jamie Miller, A.S. President
PREPARED BY: Linh Phan, A.S. Government Secretary