Associated Students | San Diego State University
Monday, February 20, 2017 - 3:30pm
Council Chambers, Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union
I. CALL TO ORDER
A.S. Executive Vice President, Patty Masengale called the meeting to order at 3:33 PM in the Council Chambers at the Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union.
II. ROLL CALL
- Voting Members Present: Jamie Miller, Dylan Colliflower, Chimezie Ebiriekwe, Dustin Pina, Daniel Matlock, Chloe Sension, Mustafa Alemi, Michael Kagan.
- Voting Members Absent: Patty Masengale, Alex Shapiro, Arnelle Sambile, Jessica Rentto, Christy Samarkos.
- Non-Voting Members Present: Hayden Willis for Alex Shapiro, Joey Lucero for Patty Masengale, Christina Brown, Linh Phan.
- Non-Voting Members Absent: None.
- Visitors: Sam Emami, Steve DiPaolo, Todd Summers, Billy Carter.
III. APPROVAL OF AGENDA
It was moved and seconded to approve the agenda for today’s meeting.
IV. APPROVAL OF PREVIOUS MINUTES
It was moved and seconded to approve the Board of Directors meeting minutes of 02/06/17, as attached.
V. PUBLIC COMMENT
VI. UNIVERSITY REPORTS AND PRESENTATIONS
- Business and Financial Affairs Designee: None.
- University President’s Designee: None.
- Introduction of Todd Summers, CEO of Aztec Shops, Ltd. (Time Certain 3:45pm):
- Introduced himself, his background and his role as the new CEO of Aztec Shops.
- He discussed the 3 primary divisions within Aztec Shops: the bookstore, dining services and real estate.
- Answered questions and concerns from the Board of Directors.
- A.S. Website Update-Steve DiPaolo, Associate Director of Programs and Marketing (Time Certain 4:15pm):
- Introduced 2 new proposals for the A.S. website navigation and received feedback on them.
- Informed BOD that MarComm is planning on launching the beta home page in May.
VII. ITEMS FOR CONSIDERATION
- General Consent Agenda (Action): It was moved and seconded to approve the general consent agenda.
- General Consent Report (Information): The general consent report was reviewed.
- ARC Memberships for Student Leaders (Action): It was moved and seconded to approve the ARC Memberships for Student Leaders for effective date of August 2017.
VIII. CLOSED SESSION (Closed to Non-Members)
IX. BOARD OF DIRECTORS COMMITTEE REPORTS
- Financial Affairs Committee: Is having a retreat and orientation for new members this Friday. The committee is also preparing for budget hearings in March. Hayden updated that there is still about $10,000 left for travel requests.
- Marketing and Communications Committee: Please let MarComm know if you have any suggestions for the website revamp.
X. EXECUTIVE REPORTS
- President: Jamie Miller reported on the following:
- Apologized for missing the last BOD meeting, she was at a summit.
- Reminded everyone to attend the joint JAC and BOD meeting this Wednesday at 8am in Council Chambers. Please let Jordan know if you will not be there. She also encouraged everyone to read over the document and come prepared to discuss the material.
- Encouraged everyone to utilize one-on-one meeting with Jamie.
- Had a one-on-one meeting with Todd Summers, the CEO of Aztec Shops, to discuss how dining pricing will be affected from the tuition increase.
- Patty Rea reminded everyone to take Christina’s 360 review or email Patty feedback directly.
- Community Service Commission will be working with the Undergraduate Administration on community service opportunities for students.
- Attended the Panel with past A.S leaders at the Leadership Summit. Jamie encouraged everyone to connect with alumni.
- Executive Vice President: Joey Lucero for Patty Masengale reported on the following:
- There are 60 nominations for Aztecs Achievement Awards!
- Encouraged everyone to attend the last 3 home basketball games.
- Patty apologized for not being here and will see everyone on Thursday.
- Vice President of External Relations: Dylan Colliflower reported on the following:
- Could not attend California State Student Association (CSSA) due to severe weather.
- Is scheduling meetings with local legislators to advocate.
- Is providing training for the California Higher Education Student Summit (CHESS).
- Informed everyone that CSSA approved each CSU campus to implement an event to raise awareness about tuition increase on either May 2nd or 3rd.
- Encouraged everyone to please RSVP to Susan Davis Higher Education Round Table event.
- Vice President of Financial Affairs: None.
- Vice President of University Affairs: Chimezie Ebiriekwe reported on the following:
- He and Jamie attended the CSU Academic Senate and discuss how to improve graduation rate.
- Provided training for various orgnizations for the Mobile Food Pantry.
- Attended Afrikan Student Union’s High School Conference and was very impressed with the turnout!
- A.S. received “A Resolution to Condemn Anti-Semitism” and it will go to the University Council meeting this week as a first reading. Chimezie encouraged BOD to attend.
- Executive Director: Christina Brown reported on the following:
- Elections committee will meet at 6pm today to select ballot order.
- Chief Communications Director, Greg Block’s last day is this Wednesday. Gina will be the new Interim.
- Hayden will present on budgets as they come.
- The University is working on having more summer conferences to generate more revenue.
XI. REPORTS OF BOARD OF DIRECTORS
- Chloe Sension, Student-At-Large reported on the following:
- Research and Assessment Committee met and is waiting on updated council demographics data.
- Is looking at charter to get Research and Assessment as an official committee.
- Highly encouraged everyone to attend Spring Into Diversity events.
- Michael Kagan, Student-At-Large reported on the following:
- Updated everyone on a Daily Aztec’s article how public schools do not have rape kits available.
- A.S. Live is going well!
- Gave a shoutout to Mustafa and the Muslim Student Association for putting on the rally. Kagan is very proud of the SDSU Community to stand together and speak our minds.
- Aztec Dance Marathon is this weekend!
- Dustin Pina, Student-At-Large reported on the following:
- Will not be able to attend University Council meeting due to class. His designee is George Scott.
- Attended the Society of Women Engineer and was very impressed.
- Please let Dustin know if you have any candidate that is interested in replacing Dustin as the new rep for Aztec Shops.
- The SDSU App committee met last week and is researching on what students want the app to have.
- Mustafa Alemi, Student-At-Large reported on the following:
- Will reach out to the Daily Aztec about the approval of the Aztec Recreation Center memberships for student leaders to stay transparent.
- Is working with Rachel and Natalie on getting organizations to endorse A.S. candidates.
- Daniel Matlock, Student-At-Large reported on the following:
- Has started transition documents with his boards and commissions.
It was moved and seconded to adjourn the meeting.
The meeting was adjourned at 5:47pm.
APPROVED BY: Jamie Miller, A.S. President
PREPARED BY: Linh Phan, A.S. Government Secretary