SAN DIEGO STATE UNIVERSITY
BOARD OF DIRECTORS MEETING MINUTES
Monday, January 23, 2017 – 3:30 PM
Council Chambers, Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union
I. CALL TO ORDER
A.S. President, Jamie Miller called the meeting to order at 3:38 PM in the Council Chambers at the Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union.
II. ROLL CALL
- Voting Members Present: Jamie Miller, Patty Masengale, Dylan Colliflower, Chimezie Ebiriekwe, Daniel Matlock, Arnelle Sambile, Chloe Sension, Mustafa Alemi, Michael Kagan, Christy Samarkos, Jessica Rentto.
- Voting Members Absent: Alex Shapiro, Dustin Pina.
- Non-Voting Members Present: Christina Brown, Linh Phan.
- Non-Voting Members Absent: None.
- Visitors: None.
III. APPROVAL OF AGENDA
It was moved and seconded to approve the agenda for today’s meeting.
There was a friendly amendment to remove Item C. Mid-Year Update Activity under item VI. University Reports and Presentations. There were no objections.
The agenda was approved as amended. CARRIED
IV. APPROVAL OF PREVIOUS MINUTES
It was moved and seconded to approve the Board of Directors meeting minutes of 12/12/16 and 1/17/17, as attached.
V. PUBLIC COMMENT
VI. UNIVERSITY REPORTS AND PRESENTATIONS:
- Business and Financial Affairs Designee: Jessica Rentto reported on the following:
- South Campus Plaza has been certified for occupancy. Retail stores are anticipated to be finished by fall semester.
- Engineering and Interdisciplinary Studies building constructions are still relatively on schedule due to heavy rain recently.
- The Governor’s budget came out and the result was as expected. The CSUs are not receiving as much funding as requested.
- The University has been having conversations with an investment group to bring a major league soccer team to Qualcomm. In the meantime, Aztecs football is welcomed to play at Petco Park.
- Interim SDSU Chief Police, Josh Mays, has been promoted to be the new permanent SDSU Chief Police.
- University President’s Designee: Christy Samarkos reported on the following:
- Had a smooth transition of students from Tenochca to South Campus Plaza. Christy will set up a tour for Board of Directors to see the new building.
- Informed everyone on a new law called AB18-87, which restricts travel to certain states using state funding.
- Updated Board of Directors that because SDSU receives federal funds, marijuana is still illegal under federal law and thus is still illegal on campus.
- The University has had early discussions on a new residence hall by Chapultepec.
VII. ITEMS FOR CONSIDERATION
- General Consent Agenda (Action): None.
- General Consent Report (Information): The general consent report was reviewed.
- Appointments and Review Committee Interview Schedule (Information): Patty asked Board of Directors for inputs on the interview schedule. Board of Directors agreed to have interviews from Friday to Saturday and 3 additional weekdays for deliberation.
VIII. CLOSED SESSION (Closed to Non-Members)
IX. BOARD OF DIRECTORS COMMITTEE REPORTS:
- Facilities Board: 1st meeting is next Monday at 2pm.
- Marketing and Communications Committee: Is working on new graphic content to inspire students to run for the A.S. Election.
X. EXECUTIVE REPORTS:
- President: Jamie Miller reported on the following:
- Please fill out the doodle by tonight or tomorrow so that BOD and JAC can decide on a time to meet up.
- Introduced the new Aztec Shops CEO: Todd Summer.
- Reminded everyone to please keep report succinct.
- Executive Vice President: Patty Masengale reported on the following:
- Thanked everyone for attending retreat.
- Awards Committee meets on Monday at 9:45am.
- She is in the process of revamping Be Beautiful SDSU campaign into something similar to the “Dude Be Nice” campaign.
- Vice President of External Relations: Dylan Colliflower reported on the following:
- He will be attending the CSSA meeting this weekend to discuss tuition increase.
- Updated BOD on Senate Bill 3542, SB 16, SB 58.
- Vice President of Financial Affairs: None.
- Vice President of University Affairs: Chimezie Ebiriekwe reported on the following:
- GE Reform will have the next meeting at the end of January. Chimezie will be attending the GE Reform Conference in Arizona on February 25-27.
- Will serve on the interview panel for the new Imperial Valley Campus’s Dean.
- College of Education College Council has a new president.
- Executive Director: Christina Brown reported on the following:
- Welcomed everyone back!
- The Annual AOA Conference went great! They had over 600 attendees.
- Children’s Center was flooded. However, the drain pipe will be fixed for next rainy season.
- ASUB has a new Beautification Committee. They will be hiring a consultant to work on branding and staging for the Union.
- OAT project is still scheduled to be finished before Greenfest.
- Informed everyone on the SD Reader’s article about the faculty conflict of interest.
XI. REPORTS OF BOARD OF DIRECTORS:
- Chloe Sension, Student-At-Large reported on the following:
- Will be attending the MarComm meeting to work on the A.S. Election video with Sarah Bentley.
- Is hoping that Research and Assessment has a new meeting time because she has class.
- Michael Kagan, Student-At-Large reported on the following:
- A.S Live will be back this semester starting with the A.S. Is campaign!
- Aztecs Market now has stickers on food for religious students.
- He will be meeting once a week with his colleges or attending their college council meetings.
- Mustafa Alemi, Student-At-Large reported on the following:
- Next BOD meeting will have an Action Item regarding the arc membership for council members.
- Is working with McKinley and Joey on hosting a forum on scholarships.
- Daniel Matlock, Student-At-Large reported on the following:
- Is looking forward to working on the new A.S website.
- Talked to his boards and commissions about transitioning.
- Arnelle Sambile, Student-At-Large reported on the following:
- Next Tuesday is the 1st meeting of the Diversity and Outreach Committee.
- Students of Color Conference is postponed because they did not get funding from Students Success Fee.
- Is working with the Women’s Resource Center to advertise for a march on March 6-International Womens’ Day on equality for women.
- Will be meeting with her boards and commissions within the next 2 weeks.
It was moved and seconded to adjourn the meeting.
The meeting was adjourned at 5:04pm.
APPROVED BY: Jamie Miller, A.S. President
PREPARED BY: Linh Phan, A.S. Government Secretary