Monday, November 28, 2016 – 3:30 PM
Council Chambers, Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union
I. CALL TO ORDER
A.S. President, Jamie Miller called the meeting to order at 3:33 PM in the Council Chambers at the Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union.
II. ROLL CALL
- Voting Members Present: Jamie Miller, Patty Masengale, Dylan Colliflower, Chimezie Ebiriekwe, Daniel Matlock, Arnelle Sambile, Chloe Sension, Mustafa Alemi, Dustin Pina, Michael Kagan, Christy Samarkos, Jessica Rentto.
- Voting Members Absent: Alex Shapiro.
- Non-Voting Members Present: Linh Phan, Christina Brown.
- Non-Voting Members Absent: None.
- Visitors: Jordan Maharaj.
III. APPROVAL OF AGENDA
It was moved and seconded to approve the agenda for today’s meeting.
IV. APPROVAL OF PREVIOUS MINUTES
It was moved and seconded to approve the Board of Directors meeting minutes of 11/07/16, as attached.
V. PUBLIC COMMENT
VI. UNIVERSITY REPORTS AND PRESENTATIONS:
- Business and Financial Affairs Designee: Jessica Rentto reported on the following:
- There is a faculty and staff event for Heartful Helping this Thursday from 10-11:30am in Montezuma Hall.
- University President’s Designee: Christy Samarkos reported on the following:
- The Ambassadors Reunion was very successful!
- She suggested having Student Success and/or Supplemental Instructions presentations at council meetings.
VII. ITEMS FOR CONSIDERATION
- General Consent Agenda (Action): It was moved and seconded to approve the general consent agenda, as attached.
Dylan Colliflower moved to separate the Financial Affairs minutes from the General Consent Agenda.
Patty Masengale moved to amend the motion to table the Viejas Arena, Children’s Center, Aztec Recreation Center, KCR College Radio Rebudgets from the FAC minutes.
The agenda was approved as amended. CARRIED
- General Consent Report (Information): The general consent report was reviewed.
- Selection of a BOD member to serve on the Appointments and Review Ad-hoc Committee (Action): It was moved and seconded to select Arnelle Sambile as the Board Of Directors representative to serve on the Appointments and Review Ad-hoc Committee.
- Proposed Changes to the Bylaws, Codes and Charters (Information) (Time Certain 4:15pm): Jordan reviewed the Proposed Changes to the Structure, Elections Code and Aztec Student Union Board Charter revisions and received feedback from Board of Directors.
- #CA 16-01 Proposed Changes to the Structure
- #CA 16-02 Council Member Duties
- #CA 16-03 Elections Code
- #CA 16-04 Community Service Commission Charter
- #CA 16-05 Aztec Student Union Board Charter
- #CA 16-06 Sciences College Council Charter
- #CA 16-07 Arts and Letters College Council Charter
- #CA 16-08 Professional Studies and Fine Arts College Council Charter
VIII. CLOSED SESSION (Closed to Non-Members)
IX. BOARD OF DIRECTORS COMMITTEE REPORTS:
- Facilities Board: Meet on Mondays at 2pm.
- Marketing and Communications Committee: Is working on how to increase voter turnout for A.S. election.
X. EXECUTIVE REPORTS:
- President: Jamie Miller reported on the following:
- Has been attending a few High School Conferences. She will be attending AB Samahan’s High School Conference this Saturday.
- Jamie reached out to the Educational Opportunity Program about hosting A.S. office hours using their office.
- Aztec Shops CEO position interview is still ongoing.
- SDSUApp meeting is this Thursday.
- Executive Vice President: Patty Masengale reported on the following:
- All Council Training is on December 7 as well as Holiday Dinner.
- Please sign up for secret snowflake!
- Is working on spring retreat details. Tentative date is January 29.
- Let Patty know if you would like to sit on the Awards Committee.
- Vice President of External Relations: Dylan Colliflower reported on the following:
- City ordinance passed. Dylan will be phone banking Mayor Faulconer asking him to veto the ordinance.
- CSU Board of Trustees will vote on the proposed tuition increase in March.
- Vice President of Financial Affairs: None.
- Vice President of University Affairs: Chimezie Ebiriekwe reported on the following:
- Early registration will be implemented Spring 2018.
- Attended the General Education Reform meeting. The Provost has set a deadline for the committee to set up committees by April.
- Will be attending the General Education and Assessment Conference in February.
- Mobile Food Pantry served over 90 students!
- Executive Director: Christina Brown reported on the following:
- Research and Assessment Committee will be meeting this week!
XI. REPORTS OF BOARD OF DIRECTORS:
- Daniel Matlock reported on the following:
- Sent out commission evaluation forms to all of his commissions. Let Daniel know if you would like him to send it to you.
- Is working on having an event to showcase resources for Residential Advisors. 3. Campus Fee Advisory Committee meeting went great!
- Arnelle Sambile reported on the following:
- The Diversity and Outreach Committee is forming a letter to President-elect Trump about protecting undocumented students.
- Is serving as an advisor for Rachel and Natalie to plan the Students of Color Conference.
- Empowering through Diversity event is next Tuesday! Please come out and support the Student Diversity Commission.
- Michael Kagan reported on the following:
- Is working on dietary changes and having possible vendors at the Farmer’s Market.
- This Thursday, MarComm will have another A.S. Live with Chimezie to talk about the Mobile Food Pantry.
- Kagan has an inner fire called “leadership” that heats him up everyday.
- Dustin Pina reported on the following:
- Attended MEChA’s High School Conference.
- Attended the Mesa Community Meeting and reported that the community is working on changing the name of the college area and having a college area newspaper.
- Chloe Sension reported on the following:
- Encouraged everyone to read over the amendments and make suggestions.
- Mustafa Alemi reported on the following:
- Is working on having a compensation for council members, possibly free ARC membership, to advertise for the A.S. election.
It was moved and seconded to adjourn the meeting.
The meeting was adjourned at 6:02pm.
APPROVED BY: Jamie Miller, A.S. President
PREPARED BY: Linh Phan, A.S. Government Secretary