Monday, November 7, 2016 – 3:30 PM
Council Chambers, Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union
I. CALL TO ORDER
A.S. President, Jamie Miller called the meeting to order at 3:36 PM in the Council Chambers at the Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union.
II. ROLL CALL
- Voting Members Present: Jamie Miller, Patty Masengale, Dylan Colliflower, Chimezie Ebiriekwe (late), Daniel Matlock (late), Arnelle Sambile, Chloe Sension, Dustin Pina, Michael Kagan, Christy Samarkos, Jessica Rentto.
- Voting Members Absent: Mustafa Alemi, Alex Shapiro.
- Non-Voting Members Present: Linh Phan, Christina Brown.
- Non-Voting Members Absent: None.
- Visitors: Jennifer Esquivel-Parker, Carlos Carreaga, Dr. Alan Mobley.
III. APPROVAL OF AGENDA
It was moved and seconded to approve the agenda for today’s meeting.
IV. APPROVAL OF PREVIOUS MINUTES
It was moved and seconded to approve the Board of Directors meeting minutes of 10/24/16, as attached.
V. PUBLIC COMMENT
VI. UNIVERSITY REPORTS AND PRESENTATIONS:
- Business and Financial Affairs Designee: Jessica Rentto reported on the following:
- Informed Board of Directors on Proposition 64: Legalization of Marijuana and how the substance is still illegal under federal law and therefore the University policy regarding it will not change.
- Homecoming football game had great attendance!
- University President’s Designee: None.
- Dr Alan Mobley, Associate Professor in the School for Public Affairs (Time Certain 4:15pm):
- Discussed with Board of Directors on his initiative of pushing for higher education in prison and higher education for recently incarcerated people.
- Introduced the Project Rebound from San Francisco State that has successfully lowered the recidivism rate and his progress of recreating a similar project at San Diego State.
VII. ITEMS FOR CONSIDERATION
- General Consent Agenda (Action): It was moved and seconded to approve the general consent agenda, as attached. MASENGALE/KAGAN CARRIED
- General Consent Report (Information): The general consent report was reviewed.
- Proposed Changes to the Bylaws, Codes and Charters (Information) (Time Certain 3:45pm): The proposed changes to the Bylaws, Codes and Charters were reviewed.
- #CA 16-01 Proposed Changes to the Structure
- #CA 16-02 Council Member Duties
- #CA 16-03 Elections Code
- #CA 16-04 Community Service Commission Charter
- #CA 16-05 Aztec Student Union Board Charter
- #CA 16-06 Sciences College Council Charter
- #CA 16-07 Arts and Letters College Council Charter
- #CA 16-08 Professional Studies and Fine Arts College Council Charter
- SDSU Children’s Center Audit (Action) (Time Certain 4:45pm):It was moved and seconded to approve the SDSU Children’s Center Audit.
- A.S. Trustee Audit (Action) (Immediately following the SDSU Children’s Center Audit):It was moved and seconded to approve the A.S. Trustee Audit.
- Recap of Your Voice Matters Town Hall (Information): Jamie and Chimezie gave an overview of how the Your Voice Matters Town Hall event went and touched on some of the topics that were discussed.
VIII. CLOSED SESSION (Closed to Non-Members)
IX. BOARD OF DIRECTORS COMMITTEE REPORTS:
- Facilities Board: Toured Viejas Arena last week!
X. EXECUTIVE REPORTS:
- President: Jamie Miller reported on the following:
- Thanked everyone for attending the Town Hall event.
- Congratulated Arnelle on a successful Past, Present and Future event.
- Discussed the Daily Aztecs’ article about the new Athletics Director.
- Executive Vice President: Patty Masengale reported on the following:
- Thanked everyone for attending Homecoming events!
- Next All Council Training is December 7.
- Is in the process of planning for Spring Retreat.
- Awards Committee meets on Thursdays at 9:30am.
- Vice President of External Relations: Dylan Colliflower reported on the following:
- Rock the Vote was very successful! We registered 1,300 voters.
- Don’t forget to vote tomorrow!
- Tuition increase of $270 for the CSU system is being proposed.
- Vice President of Financial Affairs: None.
- Vice President of University Affairs: Chimezie Ebiriekwe reported on the following:
- The College of Business is hiring a new Dean.
- General Education Reform Meeting is on November 18.
- The first Mobile Food Pantry is on November 17 at the Farmer’s Market.
- ASNoWaste pilot will begin soon.
- Executive Director: Christina Brown reported on the following:
- Gave a State of A.S. Presentation.
XI. REPORTS OF BOARD OF DIRECTORS:
- Daniel Matlock reported on the following:
- Will meet with his commissions.
- Reminded everyone to get your mumps shot.
- Arnelle Sambile reported on the following:
- Thanked everyone for attending Aztec Leaders event.
- Is working on a Students of Color Conference. Tentative date is January 21.
- Discussed how A.S. can help with marketing materials for the Project Rebound that Dr.Mobley discussed.
- Michael Kagan reported on the following:
- Is working on dietary changes.
- Encouraged everyone to vote tomorrow!
- Dustin Pina reported on the following:
- Participated in Compact for Success Panel.
- Chloe Sension reported on the following:
- Is working on Research and Assessment Committee Charter.
It was moved and seconded to adjourn the meeting.
The meeting was adjourned at 6:40pm.
APPROVED BY: Jamie Miller, A.S. President
PREPARED BY: Linh Phan, A.S. Government Secretary