Meeting Minutes
Associated Students | San Diego State University

Monday, October 24, 2016 - 3:30pm
Council Chambers, Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union


A.S. President, Jamie Miller called the meeting to order at 3:32 PM in the Council Chambers at the Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union.


  1. Voting Members Present: Jamie Miller, Patty Masengale, Dylan Colliflower, Chimezie Ebiriekwe, Alex Shapiro (left early), Daniel Matlock (late), Arnelle Sambile, Chloe Sension, Dustin Pina, Michael Kagan, Mustafa Alemi.
  2. Voting Members Absent: Christy Samarkos, Jessica Rentto.
  3. Non-Voting Members Present: Linh Phan, Christina Brown.
  4. Non-Voting Members Absent: None.
  5. Visitors: Jordan Maharaj, Nicolai Mlodinow, Patty Rea.


It was moved and seconded to approve the agenda for today’s meeting.


Patty Masengale made a friendly amendment to move Executive Director Annual Evaluation Process-Patty Rea, A.S. Human Resources Director (Time Certain 3:45pm) from Closed Session to Information Item F. There were no objections.

The agenda was approved as amended. CARRIED


It was moved and seconded to approve the Board of Directors meeting minutes of 10/10/16, as attached.




  1. Business and Financial Affairs Designee: None.
  2. University President’s Designee: None.


  1. General Consent Agenda (Action): It was moved and seconded to approve the general consent agenda, as attached.
  2. General Consent Report (Information): The general consent report was reviewed.
  3. Changes to the Structure Process Discussion (Information) (Time Certain 4:00pm): Jordan Maharaj, Chief Justice, discussed the proposed process for making changes to the structure and received feedback from the Board of Directors. If there are any further concerns, please email Jordan at
  4. Proposed changes to the University Council and Campus Life Council Schedule (Action): It was moved and seconded to approve the proposed changes to the University Council and Campus Life Council Schedule.
    Question was called. There were no objections.
    The motion was approved. CARRIED, (9-0-0)
  5. Council Member Compensation (Information): Chloe and Mustafa discussed creating an incentive to increase students’ interest in serving in a leadership role in A.S. through non-monetary stipends, such as free Aztec Recreation Center membership. There will be further discussion regarding compensation.
  6. Executive Director Annual Evaluation Process - Patty Rea, A.S. Human Resources Director (Time Certain 4:35pm): Patty discussed Christina Brown’s role as Executive Director and introduced the Executive Director Annual Evaluation Process to Board of Directors.

VIII. CLOSED SESSION (Closed to Non-Members)





  1. President: Jamie Miller reported on the following:
    1. John David Wicker is the new Athletics Director!
    2. Thanked everyone for participating in the Student Success Fee Committee despite your busy schedules.
    3. Will keep everyone updated on the tuition increase when she has more solid information.
    4. Updated everyone on her goals. Jamie is in the process of reviewing the charters for Research and Assessment Committee. Town Hall event on campus well-being and safety is this Friday at the Union Theater at 12:30pm.
    5. Reminded everyone to be appreciative of the A.S. staff.
  2. Executive Vice President: Patty Masengale reported on the following:
    1. Homecoming is collaborating with Aztecs Rock Hunger to reach goal of collecting 400,000lbs of food.
    2. Encouraged everyone to sign up for Homecoming 5k.
    3. Discussed her goals and what she has achieved. Patty will bring back the A.S. Is Campaign next semester.
  3. Vice President of External Relations: None.
  4. Vice President of Financial Affairs: Alex Shapiro reported on the following:
    1. Aztecs Rock Hunger is going great! Alex needs all the help and support he can get with the campaign.
    2. Encouraged everyone to change their profile picture to Aztecs Rock Hunger and share the ARH video.
    3. T-shirts are available at tablings. Pins are available in the A.S. Office.
    4. Gave a shout-out to Michael Kagan for organizing walk-arounds for ARH.
    5. Will continue to push for Venmo donation @AztecsRockHunger.
    6. Encouraged everyone to speak in front of their classes and ask professors for extra credits for participating in ARH. 7. Reminded everyone to please do not eat while tabling for ARH.
    7. Let Alex know if you have ARH bin requests.
  5. Vice President of University Affairs: Chimezie Ebiriekwe reported on the following:
    1. Is working on a Provost Undergraduate Mentor Program where faculty and staff will be mentoring students.
    2. Graduate student involvement has been increasing!
    3. Gave presentations on A.S. to athletes and commuters.
    4. Is waiting for an operational plan on the Catering Initiative.
  6. Executive Director: Christina Brown reported on the following:
    1. Will bring a slideshow on her staff’s goals for next BOD meeting.
    2. Is updating questions for the 360 reviews.
    3. Congratulated Chimezie for receiving an award from the NAACP.
    4. Recreation field grand opening is tomorrow from 12-2pm.
    5. There is a Staff Assessment presentation on Wednesday from CSU Northridge.
    6. Christina will be at Pismo Beach for a Conference and therefore will not be here next Tuesday through Friday.


  1. Daniel Matlock reported on the following:
    1. Will be checking on everyone about the A.S. Leaders Survey.
    2. November 14 at City Hall is when voting on the new city ordinance happens. He highly encouraged everyone to attend.
    3. Has been meeting with his commissions regularly.
  2. Arnelle Sambile reported on the following:
    1. Is still working on the Aztecs Past, Present and Future event.
    2. Is having conversation with Dr.Mobley, Associate Professor of Public Affairs and Criminal Justice, on receiving grants from the CSU to help incarcerated people to obtain a college degree.
    3. Submitted a Students Success Fee Proposal for the Students of Color Conference.
  3. Michael Kagan reported on the following:
    1. Reported on behalf of Dylan: ERB is working on having a one page printout of all the propositions to begin the Voter Education Campaign.
    2. Attended the first religious dietary option meeting. The committee is trying to have vendors at the Farmers Market or have a Mediterranean restaurant on campus.
    3. Will be attending the University Senate’s Undergraduate Curriculum Committee meeting with Patty.
    4. Met with his First Year Leadership Initiative mentee.
    5. Will be going to College Council meetings to offer advice to his colleges.
  4. Dustin Pina reported on the following:
    1. Will be working with the Daily Aztecs and KCR to develop a polling system for the A.S. election.
    2. Encouraged everyone to participate in the Aztecs Mentoring Program!
  5. Mustafa Alemi reported on the following:
    1. Will continue to work on the council member compensation.
    2. Has been reaching out to cultural organizations about A.S. positions for next year’s election.
    3. Is working on creating a Students Success Fee Symposium with Marc Lamont Hill as speaker.


It was moved and seconded to adjourn the meeting.


The meeting was adjourned at 6:13pm.

APPROVED BY: Jamie Miller, A.S. President

PREPARED BY: Linh Phan, A.S. Government Secretary