SAN DIEGO STATE UNIVERSITY
BOARD OF DIRECTORS MEETING MINUTES
Monday, October 10, 2016 – 3:30 PM
Council Chambers, Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union
I. CALL TO ORDER
A.S. President, Jamie Miller called the meeting to order at 3:31 PM in the Council Chambers at the Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union.
II. ROLL CALL
- Voting Members Present: Jamie Miller, Patty Masengale, Dylan Colliflower, Chimezie Ebiriekwe, Daniel Matlock, Arnelle Sambile, Chloe Sension, Dustin Pina, Michael Kagan, Mustafa Alemi, Jessica Rentto.
- Voting Members Absent: Alex Shapiro, Christy Samarkos.
- Non-Voting Members Present: Linh Phan, Christina Brown, Dr. Randy Timm for Christy Samarkos.
- Non-Voting Members Absent: None.
- Visitors: Dr. Rey Monzon, Jennifer Esquivel-Parker, Kimberly Alli, Steve DiPaolo.
III. APPROVAL OF AGENDA
It was moved and seconded to approve the agenda for today’s meeting.
Patty Masengale made a friendly amendment to remove Item C. SDSU Children’s Center Presentation and add a time certain at 5:15pm Adjournment to attend Ricardo Lara’s lecture. There were no objections to the amendment.
The agenda was approved as amended. CARRIED
IV. APPROVAL OF PREVIOUS MINUTES
It was moved and seconded to approve the Board of Directors meeting minutes of 9/26/16, as attached.
V. PUBLIC COMMENT
VI. UNIVERSITY REPORTS AND PRESENTATIONS:
- Business and Financial Affairs Designee: Jessica Rentto reported on the following:
- Reassured everyone that the trees on Centennial Walkway are fast-growing and will be providing full shade in a few years.
- The University got the final approval from the Fire Marshall for South Campus Plaza.
- Informed Board of Directors about the trial regarding the women’s basketball team coach’s termination.
- University President’s Designee: Dr. Randy Timm for Christy Samarkos reported on the following:
- Reported on the University’s fast and effective response in handling the poster incident on campus last week. He also discussed protocol of the postings.
- Overview of Research and Assessment in Student Programs and Service- Dr. Rey Monzon, Director of Student Affairs Research and Assessment (Time Certain 4:15pm):
- Introduced himself to the Board of Directors and his background as a researcher for many large institutions.
- Discussed the three components: Leveraging data and Exercising Leadership, Research and Assessment Model, Research vs. Assessment.
- Judicial Affairs Council Update (Time Certain 5:00pm): Justice, Kimberly Alli, reminded everyone that the cultural organization requirement is due November 9. Bylaw amendment deadline is due October 28. Judicial Affairs Council is in the process of amending the elections code.
VII. ITEMS FOR CONSIDERATION
- General Consent Agenda (Action): It was moved and seconded to approve the general consent agenda, as attached.
- General Consent Report (Information): The general consent report was reviewed.
VIII. CLOSED SESSION (Closed to Non-Members)
IX. BOARD OF DIRECTORS COMMITTEE REPORTS:
X. EXECUTIVE REPORTS:
- President: None.
- Executive Vice President: Patty Masengale reported on the following:
- Reminded everyone that Campus Life Council meeting this Wednesday will be in Scripps Cottage.
- Polos will be available at the All Council Training.
- Fantastic Friday is October 21 at 2pm in Scripps Cottage.
- Holiday Dinner is on December 7th at BJ’s.
- Vice President of External Relations: None.
- Vice President of Financial Affairs: None.
- Vice President of University Affairs: None.
- Executive Director: None.
XI. REPORTS OF BOARD OF DIRECTORS:
It was moved and seconded to adjourn the meeting.
The meeting was adjourned at 5:22pm.
APPROVED BY: Jamie Miller, A.S. President
PREPARED BY: Linh Phan, A.S. Government Secretary