SAN DIEGO STATE UNIVERSITY
BOARD OF DIRECTORS MEETING MINUTES
Monday, September 26, 2016 – 3:30 PM
Council Chambers, Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union
I. CALL TO ORDER
A.S. President, Jamie Miller called the meeting to order at 3:32 PM in the Council Chambers at the Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union.
II. ROLL CALL
- Voting Members Present: Jamie Miller, Patty Masengale, Dylan Colliflower (left early), Chimezie Ebiriekwe, Alex Shapiro(left early), Daniel Matlock, Arnelle Sambile, Chloe Sension, Christy Samarkos, Dustin Pina, Michael Kagan, Mustafa Alemi.
- Voting Members Absent: Jessica Rentto.
- Non-Voting Members Present: Linh Phan, Christina Brown.
- Non-Voting Members Absent: None.
- Visitors: Jordan Maharaj, Carlos Careaga, Erin Brown, Tracy Blakemore, Tori Barberet, Erika Schafer, Interim SDSU Police Chief Josh Mays, Jennifer Esquivel-Parker.
III. APPROVAL OF AGENDA
It was moved and seconded to approve the agenda for today’s meeting.
IV. APPROVAL OF PREVIOUS MINUTES
It was moved and seconded to approve the Board of Directors meeting minutes of 9/12/16, as attached.
V. PUBLIC COMMENT
Tori Barberet and Erika Schafer spoke on behalf of Gallo Winery and informed everyone about their Management Development Program.
VI. UNIVERSITY REPORTS AND PRESENTATIONS:
- Business and Financial Affairs Designee: None.
- University President’s Designee: None.
- A.S. 2015/16 Management Financial Review (Time Certain 3:45pm): Alex Shapiro and Carlos Careaga reviewed the A.S. 2015/16 Management Financial Report and answered any questions regarding the document.
- 2015/16 Audited Financial Statements-Grant Thornton, LLP (Time Certain 4:00pm): Erin Brown, Chair of the Audit Committee, gave an overview of the Audit Committee action and explained the two recommendations from Grant Thornton, LLP.
- Judicial Affairs Council Update (Time Certain 4:20pm): Jordan Maharaj, Chief Justice discussed the concerns regarding tabling requirement wording and cleared any misunderstanding. Bylaw amendments deadline is October 28 at 12pm.
- SDSU Police Department Update-Interim Chief Josh Mays (Time Certain 4:30pm):
- Discussed how the Center of Intercultural Relations holding office hours for SDSUPD affected students and what steps will be made to create solutions.
- Gave an update on the arrest that occurred Thursday, September 15. He clarified that there are aspects of the case he is not legally able to discuss.
- He looks forward to building relationships with students and addressing their concerns.
VII. ITEMS FOR CONSIDERATION
- General Consent Agenda (Action): It was moved and seconded to approve the general consent agenda, as attached.
- General Consent Report (Information): The general consent report was reviewed.
VIII. CLOSED SESSION (Closed to Non-Members)
IX. BOARD OF DIRECTORS COMMITTEE REPORTS:
- Marketing and Communications Committee: This week is the last week of live streams for the A.S. Is campaign.
X. EXECUTIVE REPORTS:
- President: Jamie Miller reported on the following:
- Attended the Graduate Initiative Symposium at the Chancellor’s office.
- Please take the A.S. Leaders survey.
- Reminded everyone to be transparent in communications.
- Executive Vice President: Patty Masengale reported on the following:
- Parents’ weekend football game is next week!
- Fantastic Friday is October 21.
- Homecoming Court nominations will happen at Campus Life Council this Wednesday. There is a Student Success Fee Proposal Workshop during this meeting at 5:30pm.
- Student team competition applications are out.
- This is the last week of A.S. Is campaign, please encourage everyone to table.
- Vice President of External Relations: None.
- Vice President of Financial Affairs: None.
- Vice President of University Affairs: Chimezie Ebiriekwe reported on the following:
- Attended the Graduate Initiative 2025 and brought back feedback on how to achieve this goal.
- Executive Director: Christina Brown reported on the following:
- Invited Board of Directors to the A.S. Full-time Staff Annual Event on Thursday morning from 8:15am-9:30am.
- Let Christina know how she can help with your goals and vision for this year.
- October 7 is the Staff Awards and Appreciation Day from 7am-8am.
XI. REPORTS OF BOARD OF DIRECTORS:
- Arnelle Sambile reported on the following:
- Is working with Shan and Shawn to get graduate students involved.
- Is deciding on speakers for the Aztecs Past, Present and Future event.
- Will meet with her commissions and boards before Wednesday.
- Daniel Matlock reported on the following:
- Met with boards and commissions to discuss on how they can go above and beyond with their goals.
- Dustin Pina reported on the following:
- Is in the work of starting a mentorship program for middle school students.
- Will work with his colleges to send out emails to students and let them know who they can come talk to about issues.
- Michael Kagan reported on the following:
- Will meet with his colleges before the next Board of Directors meeting.
- Attended Economic Crisis Response Team on behalf of Sarah and updated BOD members on how the ECRT team is planning on launching different outreach efforts.
- Will reach out to Jamie, Brie or Dustin about providing religious meal options for students.
- Politifest was very successful.
- Chloe Sension reported on the following:
- Will work with College of Arts and Letters, Professional Studies and Fine Arts and Education representatives to establish relationship with their Deans.
- Shawn connected a graduate student with Chloe for the Research and Assessment Committee.
- Mustafa Alemi reported on the following:
- Will meet with Zack to discuss University Senate committees.
- Is working on having stipends for student leaders.
It was moved and seconded to adjourn the meeting.
The meeting was adjourned at 6:12pm.
APPROVED BY: Jamie Miller, A.S. President
PREPARED BY: Linh Phan, A.S. Government Secretary