SAN DIEGO STATE UNIVERSITY
BOARD OF DIRECTORS MEETING MINUTES
Monday, August 8, 2016 – 3:00 PM
Council Chambers, Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union
I. CALL TO ORDER
A.S. President, Jamie Miller called the meeting to order at 3:04 PM in the Council Chambers at the Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union.
II. ROLL CALL
- Voting Members Present: Jamie Miller, Patty Masengale, Dylan Colliflower, Alex Shapiro, Chimezie Ebiriekwe, Daniel Matlock, Arnelle Sambile, Chloe Sension, Christy Samarkos, Dustin Pina.
- Voting Members Absent: Mustafa Alemi, Michael Kagan, Jessica Rentto.
- Non-Voting Members Present: Linh Phan, Christina Brown.
- Non-Voting Members Absent: None.
- Visitors: Dr. Randy Timm, Eric Hansen.
III. APPROVAL OF AGENDA
It was moved and seconded to approve the agenda for today’s meeting.
IV. APPROVAL OF PREVIOUS MINUTES
It was moved and seconded to approve the Board of Directors meeting minutes of 7/18/16, as attached. MASENGALE/MATLOCK CARRIED
V. PUBLIC COMMENT
VI. UNIVERSITY REPORTS AND PRESENTATIONS:
- Business and Financial Affairs Designee: None.
- University President’s Designee: None.
- Sophomore Live On Initiative Presentation-Christy Samarkos, Randy Timm, Eric Hansen (Time Certin 3:30pm): Christy Samarkos, Randy Timm and Eric Hansen explained why the Sophomore Live On Initiative is important and asked for student feedback.
VII. ITEMS FOR CONSIDERATION
- General Consent Agenda (Action): It was moved and seconded to approve the General Consent Agenda, as attached.
- General Consent Report (Information): None.
- Appointments and Resignations (Action): It was moved and seconded to approve the Appointments and Resignations memo, as attached.
Patty Masengale made a friendly amendment to add Brie Hornig and Dustin Pina as representatives for Aztec Shops Board of Directors. There were no objections.
The appointments and resignations memo was approved as amended.
- Travel Requests (Action): It was moved and seconded to approve the Travel Requests, as attached. PINA/MATLOCK CARRIED
VIII. CLOSED SESSION (Closed to Non-Members)
- Annual A.S. Full-time Staff Salary Equity Adjustments and Full-time Staff Organizational Structure Adjustments- Patty Rea, Human Resources Director (Action) (Time Certain 4:15pm):
It was moved and seconded to move into Closed Session.
Patty Rea, HR Director, reviewed the Annual A.S. Full-time Staff Salary Equity Adjustments and Full-time Staff Organizational Structure Adjustments.
It was moved and seconded to approve the Annual A.S. Full-time Staff Salary Equity Adjustments and Full-time Staff Organizational Structure Adjustments.
It was moved and seconded to move out of Closed Session.
IX. BOARD OF DIRECTORS COMMITTEE REPORTS:
- Facilities Board: Meetings will be held on Mondays at 2pm.
- Financial Affairs Committee: Meetings are on Mondays at 11am.
- Marketing and Communications Committee: Had the first Facebook livestream of Jamie’s speech at Orientation.
X. EXECUTIVE REPORTS:
- President: Jamie Miller reported on the following:
- More gender-neutral restrooms will be installed in the library, Calpulli, and Peterson Gym.
- OneSDSU events will be posted and Jamie highly encouraged everyone to attend.
- Arnelle and Rachel Muntz, Student Diversity Commissioner, will be the student representative to serve on the Diversity and Equity Outreach Committee in University Senate.
- September 14th will be the first A.S. office hours in Center of Intercultural Relations.
- Your Voice Matters series will grow its online system for students to submit concerns.
- Executive Vice President: Patty Masengale reported on the following:
- Homecoming design contest deadline is tomorrow.
- Encouraged everyone to table at Transfer Students Orientation.
- Briefed everyone on the agenda for the AS Student Leaders Retreat.
- Vice President of External Relations: Dylan Colliflower reported on the following:
- Rock the Vote will be taking place this Fall.
- The College Area Community Council proposed a college area community ordinance.
- Vice President of Financial Affairs: Alex Shapiro reported on the following:
- Alex and Carlos will be presenting on budgets to the Assistant Deans.
- Met with Campus Program Funding Chair to discuss relationship between CPF and Financial Affairs Committee.
- Will create a team to meet every Sunday for Aztecs Rock Hunger.
- Is working on making A.S. banking as easy as possible for students and Recognized Student Organizations.
- Vice President of University Affairs: None.
- Executive Director: Christina Brown reported on the following:
- Student-at-Large Board of Directors emails are finished. Janice will contact everyone for further instruction.
- Reminded everyone to finish the Strengthfinders Gallup survey by August 25th.
XI. REPORTS OF BOARD OF DIRECTORS:
(Time Certain 5pm) The meeting was adjourned at 5:07 PM.
APPROVED BY: Jamie Miller, A.S. President
PREPARED BY: Linh Phan, A.S. Government Secretary