SAN DIEGO STATE UNIVERSITY
BOARD OF DIRECTORS MEETING MINUTES
Monday, July 18, 2016 – 3:00 PM
Council Chambers, Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union
I. CALL TO ORDER
A.S. President, Jamie Miller called the meeting to order at 3:08 PM in the Council Chambers at the Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union.
II. ROLL CALL
- Voting Members Present: Jamie Miller, Patty Masengale, Dylan Colliflower, Alex Shapiro, Chimezie Ebiriekwe, Mustafa Alemi, Michael Kagan, Daniel Matlock, Arnelle Sambile, Chloe Sension, Christy Samarkos, Jessica Rentto.
- Voting Members Absent: Dustin Pina.
- Non-Voting Members Present: Linh Phan, Christina Brown.
- Non-Voting Members Absent: None.
- Visitors: Jeff Carter, Jennifer Esquivel-Parker.
III. APPROVAL OF AGENDA
It was moved and seconded to approve the agenda for today’s meeting.
IV. APPROVAL OF PREVIOUS MINUTES
It was moved and seconded to approve the Board of Directors meeting minutes of 6/27/16, as attached.
V. PUBLIC COMMENT
VI. UNIVERSITY REPORTS AND PRESENTATIONS:
- Business and Financial Affairs Designee: Jessica Rentto reported on the following:
- Introduced herself and talked about her role as an Associate Vice President for Business and Financial Affairs.
- South Campus Plaza will be open in January 2017. First-year students in Technoca will move to South Campus Plaza while Technoca is under construction.
- Eureka, a restaurant, has been confirmed to be at South Campus Plaza.
- Engineering Interdisciplinary Studies will have an MRI in the building.
- @sdsu.edu emails are in the works to be available to students.
- Constructions on Centennial Walkway will begin next week.
- University President’s Designee: Christy Samarkos reported on the following:
- Introduced herself and gave an overview of her role as University President’s designee.
- Thanked everyone for being enthusiastic at orientations.
- Will give an overview of the 2nd year live-in project at next meeting.
- Introduction and Report of A.S. Legal Counsel (Time Certain 3:15pm)
- Jeff Carter, the A.S. Legal Counsel, introduced himself and gave a brief description of the services he provides for Associated Students.
VII. ITEMS FOR CONSIDERATION
- General Consent Agenda (Action): None. CARRIED
- General Consent Report (Information): None.
- Student Travel Requests (Action): It was moved and seconded to approve the Student Travel Requests from Aztecs Dance Marathon, as attached.
- A.S. Part-time Staff Salary Increases in Response to City of San Diego Minimum Wage Increase (Action) (Time Certain 4pm): It was moved and seconded to approve the A.S. Part-time Staff Salary Increases in Response to City of San Diego Minimum Wage, as attached.
- Appointments and Resignations (Action): It was moved and seconded to approve the Appointments and Resignations, as attached.
- BOD members serving on Campus Fee Advisory Committee, University Council and Campus Life Council (Action): It was moved and seconded to open the selection of BOD members serving on Campus Fee Advisory Committee, University Council and Campus Life Council.
It was moved to appoint Michael Kagan, Chloe Sension, and Dustin Pina to serve on the University Council as BOD representatives.
It was moved to appoint Daniel Matlock, Arnelle Sambile, and Mustafa Alemi to serve on the Campus Life Council as BOD representatives.
It was moved and seconded to appoint Chloe Sension and Daniel Matlock to serve on CFAC as BOD representatives.
SENSION/SHAPIRO CARRIED BY ACCLAMATION
VIII. CLOSED SESSION (Closed to Non-Members)
IX. BOARD OF DIRECTORS COMMITTEE REPORTS:
- Facilities Board: Meetings will be held on Mondays at 2pm.
- Financial Affairs Committee: Still accepting applications.
- Marketing and Communications Committee: Is in the process of re-doing the A.S. website.
X. EXECUTIVE REPORTS:
- President: Jamie Miller reported on the following:
- Freedom of Expression task-force would like three representatives from A.S. to serve on the committee.
- Attended a meeting with Muslim Student Association representatives to discuss self-defense classes.
- Was in the SDSU Contingent at the SD Pride Parade.
- Executive Vice President: Patty Masengale reported on the following:
- Homecoming theme is Battle of the Beaches.
- If anyone would like to write a resolution to officially change Homecoming Court from King and Queen to Homecoming Royals, please let Patty know.
- Know Your A.S. Leaders Campaign will begin in September.
- Vice President of External Relations: Dylan Colliflower reported on the following:
- Is having conversations about SDSU Alert.
- Went to California State Student Association this past week. He was elected Vice Chair of Legislative Committee.
- SDSU will be hosting CSSA on September 18.
- Vice President of Financial Affairs: Alex Shapiro reported on the following:
- Met with the representatives from the Jacobs and Cushman SD Food Bank to discuss this year’s food drive, including raising the percentages from 10%-20% to give back to Economic Crisis Response Team.
- Will be releasing final day and time for Financial Affairs Committee tomorrow.
- Alex and Carlos will meet with Assistant Deans to give an overview of funding for college councils.
- Vice President of University Affairs: Chimezie Ebiriekwe reported on the following:
- Drafted an operation plan for CaterCover.
- Drafted a model for University Senate Committee.
- Executive Director: Christina Brown reported on the following:
- The new rec field is finished!
- Union Director Panel interview was today.
- Final interview for Aztec Student Union Board coordinator is next week.
- Chanelle McNutt will be providing diversity trainings for BOD.
- Strengthfinders Gallup survey will be sent out through emails.
XI. REPORTS OF BOARD OF DIRECTORS:
- Arnelle Sambile reported on the following:
- Is working with Dr.Timm to coordinate Aztecs Past, Present, Future.
- National Education Association finished a research on mascot effect on students and it will be published soon.
- Daniel Matlock reported on the following:
- Offered to help with Research and Assessment Committee.
- Michael Kagan reported on the following:
- A.S. can start using the Facebook Live feature to make it more engaging and interactive.
- Quote of the Day: “Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.”-Nelson Mandela.
- Mustafa Alemi reported on the following:
- Volunteered to lead the University Senate Committees with Chimezie.
- Chloe Sension reported on the following:
- Will meet with Jen and Jordan to work on bylaws.
- Offered to help with Research and Assessment Committee.
The meeting was adjourned at 6:17 PM.
APPROVED BY: Jamie Miller, A.S. President
PREPARED BY: Linh Phan, A.S. Government Secretary