SAN DIEGO STATE UNIVERSITY
BOARD OF DIRECTORS MEETING MINUTES
Monday, June 27, 2016 – 3:00 PM
Council Chambers, Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union
I. CALL TO ORDER
A.S. President, Jamie Miller called the meeting to order at 3:08 PM in the Council Chambers at the Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union.
II. ROLL CALL
- Voting Members Present: Jamie Miller, Patty Masengale, Dylan Colliflower, Alex Shapiro, Chimezie Ebiriekwe, Mustafa Alemi, Michael Kagan, Daniel Matlock, Dustin Pina (skype), Arnelle Sambile.
- Voting Members Absent: Chloe Sension, Christy Samarkos, Jessica Rentto.
- Non-Voting Members Present: Linh Phan, Christina Brown.
- Non-Voting Members Absent: None.
- Visitors: Patty Rea.
III. APPROVAL OF AGENDA
It was moved and seconded to approve the agenda for today’s meeting.
IV. APPROVAL OF PREVIOUS MINUTES
It was moved and seconded to approve the Board of Directors meeting minutes of 4/27/16, as attached.
V. PUBLIC COMMENT
VI. UNIVERSITY REPORTS AND PRESENTATIONS:
- Business and Financial Affairs Designee: None.
- University President’s Designee: None.
VII. ITEMS FOR CONSIDERATION
- General Consent Agenda (Action): It was moved and seconded to approve the General Consent Agenda, as attached.
- General Consent Report (Information): None.
- Third Quarter Financial Report (Information): Christina Brown, Executive Director explained the Third Quarter Financial Report and answered questions of the members.
- Student Travel Requests (Action): It was moved and seconded to approve the Student Travel Requests from Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity and Mortar Board SDSU Jane K. Smith Cap and Gown Chapter, as attached.
It was moved and seconded to amend the amount of the travel request to the original request of $711.2 instead of the $561.2 from Mortar Board SDSU Jane K. Smith Cap and Gown Chapter.
The Student Travel Requests from Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity and Mortar Board SDSU Jane K. Smith Cap and Gown Chapter were approved as amended.
- SDSU Children’s Center Delegation of Authority (Action): It was moved and seconded to approve the SDSU Children’s Center Delegation of Authority memorandum, as attached.
- Appointments and Resignations (Action): It was moved and seconded to approve the Appointments and Resignations, as attached. SHAPIRO/MATLOCK It was moved and seconded to add Jordan Maharaj as Chief Justice in the Appointments and Resignations.
The Appointments and Resignations memo was approved as amended.
- BOD members serving on Campus Fee Advisory Committee, University Council and Campus Life Council (Information): The A.S. Executive Officers explained the roles of Board of Directors representatives on Campus Advisory Committee, University Council and Campus Life Council for the upcoming year. The selection process will be taking place at next Board of Directors meeting.
- BOD Binders (Information): Christina Brown, Executive Director walked BOD through each section of the BOD binder.
VIII. CLOSED SESSION (Closed to Non-Members)
- Quarterly Claims Report (Information)-Patty Rea, Human Resources Director (Time Certain 4:45pm):
It was moved and seconded to move into Closed Session.
Patty Rea, HR Director, reviewed the Quarterly Claims Report and took questions from the board.
It was moved and seconded to move out of Closed Session.
IX. BOARD OF DIRECTORS COMMITTEE REPORTS:
X. EXECUTIVE REPORTS:
- President: Jamie Miller reported on the following:
- Jamie gave Save the Dates slips to everyone. Jamie highly encouraged everyone to attend the BOD meeting on July 18th.
- Have one-on-one meeting with Jamie.
- Met with administrators to discuss the 2nd year live-on project. The project is an effort to increase graduation rate at SDSU.
- Freedom of Expression taskforce has begun. They will be creating its purpose in the upcoming meeting.
- Executive Vice President: Patty Masengale reported on the following:
- Encouraged everyone to sign up for New Student orientation tabling!
- Patty is in the process of planning retreat, which is from August 21-23rd.
- The Homecoming game will be on November 5th and the theme will be announced at the next BOD meeting.
- Patty will be working with Chief Justice, Jordan Maharaj to create a process for developing a new commission as well as changing name of an existing commission.
- Vice President of External Relations: Dylan Colliflower reported on the following:
- He is in the process of planning a Campus Safety campaign.
- Rock the Vote campaign will be focused on the education purpose rather than the registering to vote.
- Dylan is working on improving the A.S. website with Marketing and Communications Commission.
- Vice President of Financial Affairs: Alex Shapiro reported on the following:
- Already started recruiting members for Financial Affairs Committee.
- He is working on a video campaign to create more transparency for students understanding of where the budget goes. Let Alex know if you would like to help.
- Will be meeting with Aztec Shops and Food Bank to discuss Aztecs Rock Hunger.
- Will be working on re-budgeting to reflect the increase in minimum wage.
- Vice President of University Affairs: Chimezie Ebiriekwe reported on the following:
- He is working on deciding which committee to designate the Smart Classroom Fee Resolution to.
- Will be in discussion about potentially using the leftovers at catering events for Economic Crisis Response Team.
- Executive Director: Christina Brown reported on the following:
- Updated everyone on the construction of campus facilities.
- A.S. is going through three audits currently. 3. Christina would love to hear BOD’s goals and visions for this year.
XI. REPORTS OF BOARD OF DIRECTORS:
- Arnelle Sambile reported on the following:
- Met with Jen to talk about how SLL will be working with BOD this year.
- She is unable to attend the OneSDSU meeting on Thursdays at 1pm. Please let Arnelle know if anyone can attend in her place.
- OneSDSU is looking for a graphic designer. Let Arnelle know if you have recommendations by the end of this week.
- Daniel Matlock reported on the following:
- Discussed parliamentary procedure with Arnelle and Jamie to potentially teach the new commissioners.
- Michael Kagan reported on the following:
- Is working on Swipes for the Homeless project in which students will use leftover meal plan money to purchase food and donate.
- Mustafa Alemi reported on the following:
- Is in discussion about the SDSU App.
The meeting was adjourned at 5:54 PM.
APPROVED BY: Jamie Miller, A.S. President
PREPARED BY: Linh Phan, A.S. Government Secretary