SAN DIEGO STATE UNIVERSITY
BOARD OF DIRECTORS MEETING MINUTES
Monday, March 21, 2016 – 4:00 PM
Council Chambers, Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union
I. CALL TO ORDER
A.S. President, Blaire Ward called the meeting to order at 4:00 PM in the Council Chambers at the Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union.
II. ROLL CALL
- Voting Members Present: Blaire Ward, Leo Carrillo, Tyler Aguilar, Dominic Bilotti, Andrea Byrd, Anthony Lee, Trevor Yarnall, Patty Masengale, Keagan Casey, Lorena Acosta.
- Voting Members Absent: Sergio Cisneros, Jessica Rentto, Christy Samarkos.
- Non-Voting Members Present: Linh Phan, Patty Rea for Christina Brown.
- Non-Voting Members Absent: None.
- Visitors: Monique Delacruz.
III. APPROVAL OF AGENDA
It was moved and seconded to approve the agenda for today’s meeting.
It was moved and seconded to move Action item C. Selection of BOD representatives for the Appointment and Review Committee to Action item A.
The agenda was approved as amended.
IV. APPROVAL OF PREVIOUS MINUTES
It was moved and seconded to approve the Board of Directors meeting minutes of 3/07/16, as attached.
Anthony Lee made a friendly amendment to add his late reports to the Board of Directors meeting minutes on 3/07/2016 and the University Council meeting minutes on 3/09/2016.
The previous minutes were approved as amended.
V. PUBLIC COMMENT
Monique Delacruz from the SDSU College Republicans spoke to Board of Directors about the Multicultural Coalition demands and specifically number #9. The SDSU College Republicans agree they want to keep fees low, however demands like free gym, minimum wage of $15, and free parking are not supported because it is unknown how these expenditures would be paid by the university if these are implemented.
VI. UNIVERSITY REPORTS AND PRESENTATIONS:
- Business and Financial Affairs Designee: None.
- University President’s Designee: None.
VII. ITEMS FOR CONSIDERATION
- Selection of BOD representatives for the Appointment and Review Committee (Action):
It was moved and seconded to open nominations.
Anthony Lee (7)
Keagan Casey (8)
Patty Masengale (2)
Anthony Lee and Keagan Casey were selected to be the BOD representatives for the Appointment and Review Committee.
- General Consent Agenda (Action): It was moved and seconded to approve the general consent agenda, as attached.
- General Consent Report (Information): The general consent report was reviewed, as attached.
VIII. CLOSED SESSION (Closed to Non-Members)
IX. BOARD OF DIRECTORS COMMITTEE REPORTS:
- Facilities Board: Scripps Cottage will be renovated.
- Financial Affairs Committee: The committee is finalizing budget this week.
X. EXECUTIVE REPORTS:
- President: Blaire Ward reported on the following:
- Met with Tony Chung and Chris Xanthos to discuss the steps to move forward with the campus app.
- Congratulated Leo on accepting a job offer at CDC Strategy!
- Thanked everyone for all of their hard work for breaking the voter turnout record this year! 20% of students voted!
- Reminded everyone to complete the surveys.
- Executive Vice President: Leo Carrillo reported on the following:
- There is a game tonight at Viejas! Tickets are still available for students to pick up.
- Vice President of External Relations: Tyler Aguilar reported on the following:
- Tyler has been traveling and advocating for student interest these past few weeks.
- Vice President of Financial Affairs: None.
- Vice President of University Affairs: Andrea Byrd reported on the following:
- University Affairs Board will be reviewing the resolution and voting this Friday.
- Executive Director: Patty Rea for Christina Brown reported on the following:
- All appointed applications are due April 6.
- There was an elections hearing today and another one scheduled tomorrow.
- JAC will be approving elections results on March 23.
- Please give your evaluations on Christina to Blaire by the end of tomorrow.
XI. REPORTS OF BOARD OF DIRECTORS:
- Anthony Lee reported on the following:
- Toured South Campus Plaza and updated everyone on the plaza. Each resident’s room will have a bathroom. There will be retail spaces on the 4th floor. The parking structure will not be for student parking, but for community and customer space.
- SDSU has a passport office located next to the International Student Center. He encouraged everyone to spread the word and will personally reach out the Student Support Commission for help.
- SDSU is in the process of reaffirming its regional accreditation by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC). The Recruitment and Retention of Underrepresented Faculty Working Group Task Force is submitting a “Building on Inclusive Excellence” proposal to implement five measures to grow SDSU’s underrepresented faculty percentage to 17%. Anthony will send proposal to BOD if anyone is interested.
- Keagan Casey reported on the following:
- Met with two administrators from the library to discuss accessibility for students. The library only has 7% of student occupancy.
- President Hirshman sent out the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC) questions and SDSU responses. Keagan will be following up with Christy to talk about the responses.
- Trevor Yarnall reported on the following:
- Dr. Randy Timm supported the beer garden idea. A form to have alcohol approval on April 21 on ENS field has been sent.
- Patty Masengale reported on the following:
- Artist for Greenfest is chosen!
- Patty will be at the elections hearing tomorrow as a Board of Director representative.
The meeting was adjourned at 4:54 PM.
APPROVED BY: Blaire Ward, A.S. President
PREPARED BY: Linh Phan, A.S. Government Secretary