SKIP TO CONTENT   ACCESSIBILITY  

Associated Students


A.S. Board of Directors

Meeting Minutes
Associated Students | San Diego State University


Monday, November 9, 2015 – 3:00 PM
Council Chambers • Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union

I. CALL TO ORDER

A.S. President, Blaire Ward called the meeting to order at 4:00 PM in the Council Chambers at the Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union.

II. ROLL CALL

  1. Voting Members Present: Blaire Ward, Leo Carrillo, Tyler Aguilar, Dominic Bilotti, Andrea Byrd, Lorena Acosta, Keagan Casey, Sergio Cisneros, Anthony Lee, Patty Masengale, Jessica Rentto. Trevor Yarnall, Christy Samarkos.
  2. Voting Members Absent: None.
  3. Non-Voting Members Present: Christina Brown, Linh Phan.
  4. Non-Voting Members Absent: None.
  5. Visitors: Chloe Sension, Jennifer Esquivel-Parker.

III. APPROVAL OF AGENDA

It was moved and seconded to approve the agenda for today’s meeting.   CISNEROS/BYRD

Andrea Byrd made a friendly amendment to add a 4:15pm time certain to items D. #BA F15-01 Elections Code and E. #BA F15-02 Section 91 Amendment under item VII. Items for Consideration.

The agenda was approved as amended.

IV. APPROVAL OF PREVIOUS MINUTES

It was moved and seconded to approve the Board of Directors meeting minutes of 10/19/15, as attached.   LEE/ACOSTA   CARRIED

V. PUBLIC COMMENT: None.

VI. UNIVERSITY REPORTS AND PRESENTATIONS:

  1. Business and Financial Affairs Designee: Jessica Rentto, Associate Vice President for Administration, reported on the following:
    1. Faculty has voted to authorize a strike.

  2. University President’s Designee: Christy Samarkos, Associate Vice President for Student Affairs, reported on the following:
    1. Aztecs Mentor Program had 600+ matches.
    2. 172 students signed up for sophomore search.
    3. 3300+ students participating in integrated studies.
    4. Past, Present and Future Leaders event will be on Thursday in Montezuma Hall.

VII. ITEMS FOR CONSIDERATION:

 

  1. General Consent Agenda (Action): It was moved and seconded to approve the General Consent Agenda, as attached.   BYRD/CISNEROS   CARRIED

  2. General Consent Report (Information): The general consent report was reviewed.

  3. Select BOD member to serve on Appointment and Review Ad-Hoc Committee (Action): Tyler Aguilar nominated Trevor Yarnall to serve on Appointment and Review Ad-Hoc Committee. Trevor accepted. It was moved and seconded to approve Trevor as the BOD representative on the Appointment and Review Ad-Hoc Committee.
    AGUILAR/ACOSTA   CARRIED

  4. #BA F15-01 Elections Code Amendment (Action): It was moved and seconded to approve the #BA F15-01 Elections Code Amendment, as attached.
    YARNALL/AGUILAR

    Trevor Yarnall made a friendly amendment to section 3.07 to add the word “election” after general.

    Keagan Casey made a friendly amendment to section 3.11 and any other sections to change “election” committee to “elections” committee for consistency.

    Dominic Bilotti made a friendly amendment to section 7.03 to change university website to A.S website.

    Christy Samarkos made a friendly amendment to section 7.04 to add “consecutive days” after 21.

    Trevor Yarnall made a friendly amendment to omit “leading up to the election” in section 8.02.

    Tyler Aguilar made a friendly amendment to omit “both sides of the issue” in section 8.02.

    All friendly amendments listed above were accepted without any objections.

    Trevor Yarnall moved to strike section 8.05.   YARNALL/AGUILAR   CARRIED

    Tyler Aguilar made a friendly amendment to strike item E. under section 7.04.

    Anthony Lee made a friendly amendment to omit the word “application” under section 8.08.

    Both friendly amendments were accepted without any objections.

    Keagan Casey moved to change “campaign shall refrain” to “campaign shall be prohibited” under items I, K, L in section 8.08.   CASEY/BYRD   CARRIED

    Trevor Yarnall made a friendly amendment to add an “L” in concude in section 8.08 O.

    Anthony Lee made a friendly amendment to add “student initiative referendum” in section 10.

    Leo Carillo made a friendly amendment to strike “the decision of the Judicial Affairs Council shall be final” in section 10.05.

    Trevor Yarnall made a friendly amendment to remove “and constitutes the final” in section 10.05.

    Anthony Lee made a friendly amendment to change “violation to elections code” to “violation to student initiative referendum code” in section 10.06.

    The #BA F15-01 Elections Code Amendment was approved as amended.

  5. #BA F15-02 Section 91 Amendment (Action): It was moved and seconded to approve the #BA F15-02 Section 91 Amendment, as attached.  
    LEE/MASENGALE
    Anthony Lee made a friendly amendment to omit “first meeting of spring semester” and it was accepted with no objections.
    The #BA F15-02 Section 91 Amendment was approved as amended.

  6. Proposed Bylaw Amendments (Information):
    1. #BA F15-03 College of Arts and Letters College Council
    2. #BA F15-04 Legislative Procedures
    3. #BA F15-05 University Affairs Board
    4. #BA F15-06 Commuter Student Board
    5. #BA F15-07 Student Support Commission
    6. #BA F15-08 External Relations Board
    7. #BA F15-09 Community Service Co mmission
    8. #BA F15-10 SDSU Children’s Center Board
    9. #BA F15-11 Campus Community Commission
    10. #BA F15-12 Eligibility
    11. #BA F15-13 Aztec Student Union Board

 

VIII. CLOSED SESSION (Closed to Non-Members): None.

IX. BOARD OF DIRECTORS COMMITTEE REPORTS:

  1. Facilities Committee: Josh Vaughan, Vice Chair gave a tour of the Union to the committee.
  2. Marketing and Communications Committee: The committee will be filming a two minute spring welcome back video.

X. EXECUTIVE REPORTS:

 

  1. President: Blaire Ward reported on the following:
    1. Encouraged members to come to Aztecs Leaders: Past, Present and Future event on Thursday.
    2. Blaire is starting “Know Your A.S Rep” campaign on November 15th, right after Aztecs Rock Hunger ends.

  2. Executive Vice President: Leo Carrillo reported on the following:
    1. Homecoming has officially kicked off!
    2. Talent Show is tonight in Montezuma Hall at 7pm.
    3. There is a t-shirt swap on Centennial Walkway tomorrow.

  3. Vice President of External Relations: Tyler Aguilar reported on the following:
    1. State Senator Marty Block came today to External Relations Board.
    2. Assemblymember Shirley Weber will be coming to campus to speak about student homelessness.
    3. California Secretary of State is working on coordinating a visit to campus.
    4. California Faculty Association voted to approve a strike.
    5. Encourage everyone to read his post about the Chancellor’s piece on the importance of higher education.

  4. Vice President of Financial Affairs: Dominic Bilotti reported on the following:
    1. Encouraged everyone to sign up for Aztecs Rock Hunger tabling.

  5. Vice President of University Affairs: Andrea Byrd reported on the following:
    1. College council forums will be next week, November 16th-19th.

  6. Executive Director: Christina Brown reported on the following:
    1. Union Director candidate turned down our offer. We will start recruiting the Associate Director of Marketing and Programming position as soon as possible.
    2. Christina met with Cathie Atkins, Chair of the AS Senate Review Committee and there were a lot of questions raised, such as: what is the cost for students to use all A.S facilities; how is the student funding process; how A.S assigns student to Boards and Committees; how A.S awards study abroad scholarships, and more.

 

XI. REPORTS OF BOARD OF DIRECTORS:

 

  1. Trevor Yarnall reported on the following:
    1. Trevor went to the Alumni Board of Director as Blaire’s designee. He had a great time meeting the alumni!

  2. Patty Masengale reported on the following:
    1. Main goal for this year’s Greenfest is to stress the importance of diversity.

  3. Lorena Acosta reported on the following:
    1. Reminded members to meet with their mentees.
    2. There was not a lot of diversity at Tie-dyeversity. Lorena is planning more cultural aspects for Spring into Diversity.

  4. Keagan Casey reported on the following:
    1. Asked members on how to approach another AS student leader who does not have a sense of belonging in A.S.

  5. Sergio Cisneros reported on the following:
    1. Stressed the importance of reading all the charter revisions.

  6. Anthony Lee reported on the following:
    1. Will be working with the SDSU App Sub-Committee to implement better strategies to send a formal proposal to the Enterprise Technology Advisory Committee.
    2. He will meet with specialized recruitment staff from Enrollment Management abut better strategies to recruit Native American students.
    3. Expressed gratitude to all BOD members for keeping up with overseeing the A.S Boards and Committees.
    4. Cultural organizations expressed concerns with Student Organization Conflict and Identity Awareness training. Anthony, Arnelle and Itzelt will meet with Dr.Randy Timm to discuss this concern
    5. The Office of Housing Administration will be including MTS trolley passes for students who live in on-campus upper division housing next year.

 

XII. ADJOURNMENT

The meeting was adjourned at 6:36 PM.

ACOSTA/MASENGALE   CARRIED

APPROVED BY: Blaire Ward, A.S. President 

PREPARED BY: Linh Phan, A.S. Government Secretary