SKIP TO CONTENT   ACCESSIBILITY  

Associated Students


A.S. Board of Directors

Meeting Minutes
Associated Students | San Diego State University


Monday, September 14, 2015 – 3:00 PM

Council Chambers • Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union

I. CALL TO ORDER

A.S. President, Blaire Ward called the meeting to order at 4:02 PM in the Council Chambers at the Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union.

II. ROLL CALL

  1. Voting Members Present: Blaire Ward, Leo Carrillo, Tyler Aguilar, Dominic Bilotti, Andrea Byrd, Lorena Acosta, Keagan Casey, Sergio Cisneros, Anthony Lee, Patty Masengale, Christy Samarkos, Jessica Rentto.
  2. Voting Members Absent: Trevor Yarnall.
  3. Non-Voting Members Present: Christina Brown, Linh Phan.
  4. Non-Voting Members Absent: None.
  5. Visitors: None.


III. APPROVAL OF AGENDA

It was moved and seconded to approve the agenda for today’s meeting. ACOSTA/BILOTTI CARRIED

Andrea Byrd made a friendly amendment to move item C, Executive Director Evaluation Process and Timeline, under Items for Consideration to Closed Session with a time certain at 4:45pm. Andrea Byrd made a friendly amendment to give item B, General Consent Report, a time certain at 4:15pm for Chloe Sension to talk about Judicial Affairs Committee’s minutes. There were no objections to any of the amendments.

The agenda was approved as amended.

IV. APPROVAL OF PREVIOUS MINUTES

It was moved and seconded to approve the Board of Directors meeting minutes of 8/31/15, as attached. ACOSTA/CISNEROS CARRIE

V. PUBLIC COMMENT:

None.

VI. UNIVERSITY REPORTS AND PRESENTATIONS:

  1. Business and Financial Affairs Designee: Associate Vice President for Administration Jessica Rentto reported on the following:
    1. There was a community safety alert sent out recently. Three out of four suspects have been identified and the San Diego Police is working with the SDSU Police to further investigate the incident.
    2. There has not been any complaint from the community for this past weekend’s events.
    3. Facilities committee and President Hirshman are working together to find a different place to have events so the noise will not disturb the community.
  2. University President’s Designee: None.

VII. ITEMS FOR CONSIDERATION:

  1. General Consent Agenda (Action): It was moved and seconded to approve the General Consent Agenda, as attached. CASEY/LEE CARRIED
  2. General Consent Report (Information): The general consent report was reviewed.

VIII. CLOSED SESSION (Closed to Non-Members):

It was moved and seconded to move into closed session. BYRD/MASENGALE CARRIED

It was moved and seconded to move out of closed session. ACOSTA/BILOTTI CARRIED

The process for the executive director’s annual evaluation was reviewed in addition to her last evaluation. The claims schedule was reviewed.

IX. BOARD OF DIRECTORS COMMITTEE REPORTS:

  1. Facilities Committee: Chair Leo Carillo had a catching-up meeting with the committees.
  2. Financial Affairs Committee: Three travel requests and three CPF requests were approved. Carlos will be giving a report on the Quarter Four Financial during next BOD meeting. The first audit meeting will be on this Thursday. Tom McCarron will be at FAC next week.
  3. Marketing and Communications Committee: Clayton has a new structure for MarComm: there will be 3 small subcommittees-Promotion, Social media, Special Projects.

X. EXECUTIVE REPORTS:

  1. President: Blaire Ward reported on the following:
    1. Congratulated BOD members on getting their new A.S pad-folios.
    2. Reminded members to read the Daily Aztec and be aware of what is happening on campus.
    3. Blaire met with the Provost to discuss on how to improve community relations. If you have any ideas, please let Blaire know.
    4. Encouraged everyone to go to the Ice Cream Social on this Sunday!
    5. If you need to send out campus-wide emails, they have to go through Blaire first. The topic of the email needs to encompass all students.
    6. Emphasized the importance of reading over the agenda before meetings so we will be more efficient.
  2. Executive Vice President: Leo Carrillo reported on the following:
    1. The second March to the Arch is this Thursday at 12pm in front of Hepner Hall.
    2. Homecoming video will be focused on students. There will be representatives from athletic teams, dance team, student organizations, with the athletic flag to highlight our Aztec Pride.
    3. Please encourage A.S leaders to come out to Super Saturday this Saturday!
  3. Vice President of External Relations: Tyler Aguilar reported on the following:
    1. Legislative Action was due this Friday. No more bill can pass.
    2. Board of Trustee meeting is coming up in November. Let Tyler know if you are interested in going with him.
  4. Vice President of Financial Affairs: Dominic Bilotti reported on the following:
    1. Aztecs Rock Hunger’s logo is finalized. Script for the promo video is in the work and hopefully will be done by next Thursday.
    2. Aztecs Rock Hunger will be on SDSU Strive so that Alumni can donate to the campaign.
    3. All donations from Aztecs Proud Campaign during Aztecs Rock Hunger week will be donated to ARH.
    4. Class of 2019 has already raised $50,000.
    5. Dom is working on putting together a schedule for walk-arounds.
  5. Vice President of University Affairs: Andrea Byrd reported on the following:
    1. Student Success Fee Proposal is due on September 15th to the Assistant Deans of the respective colleges.
    2. On September 23rd at the UC meeting, there will be a Deans Panel where all the Deans will be in Council Chambers to answer any questions related to any of the colleges.
    3. Andrea is coordinating digital signage for Let’s Talk events to help gain visibility and attract more students to attend.
  6. Executive Director: Christina Brown reported on the following:
    1. Christina met up with Carlos to discuss the Student Organization Banking with A.S. They are working on enabling organizations to come in and use p-card for expenses and travels.
    2. We have three students to serve on the University Senate review. Memo is going out soon. Jen and Christina are working on a self-study that will have questions about A.S mission, future growth, etc.
    3. There will be a portal launch for students in crisis to have all resources on and off campus to assist them on October 22nd.
    4. Aztecs Rock Hunger can be turned into meal cards to help students in crisis.
    5. Christina is working with the Journalism Department to help out with the Daily Aztec.
    6. Christina will not be at CLC meeting this Wednesday because of A.S leadership retreat for senior staff.
    7. The Montys are this Friday.

XI. REPORTS OF BOARD OF DIRECTORS:

  1. Patty Masengale reported on the following:
    1. Rec and Wellness’s goal for this semester is to have 40 members and they are already half way there. Patty congratulated them on doing a great job with retention!
    2. Patty is working on bringing back Eric Thomas, more details on this later.
    3. Gave a shout out to Kelsey and Megan for doing a great job putting up the transferring student event, which will be on October 6th.
    4. Green Love is getting more promo items.
    5. Patty wants A.S council members to represent A.S at different student organizations for the 100 orgs in 100 days campaign.
  2. Lorena Acosta reported on the following:
    1. Lorena has been doing research on the website and has found that it is very difficult to navigate around. She and Sergio are working on developing an easier way to navigate around the A.S website.
    2. She will be meeting with 3 commissions this week.
  3. Keagan Casey reported on the following:
    1. Keagan will meet with UC reps with their goal sheets to see their progress.
    2. Reminded BOD members look over bylaws and be critical.
    3. He will be meeting up with Brenna to discuss referendum process.
    4. Keagan will meet with Savannah, president of Arts and Letters regarding their charter specifically.
  4. Anthony Lee reported on the following:
    1. Please send Anthony any last minute features you would like to see on the SDSU app by this Thursday.
    2. Contacted Harvard on the Student Banking Process and is waiting for their response.
  5. Sergio Cisneros reported on the following:
    1. Lorena came in to help with research this week. She offered a student perspective to the committee.

XII. ADJOURNMENT:

The meeting was adjourned at 6:06 PM. BILOTTI/MASENGALE CARRIED