Vice President of External Relations, Jacqueline Karczewski called the meeting to order at 4:00 PM at the Council Chambers at the Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union.
A. Voting Members Present: Kevin Hancock, Jacqueline Karczewski, Alex Padua, Corey Polant, Keagan Casey, Maneet Deol, Alexandria Johnstone, Marilyn Martinez, Kyle Murphy, Randy Timm (for Christy Samarkos).
B. Voting Members Absent: J. Cole, Jessica Rentto.
C. Non-Voting Members Present: Clarice Mendoza, Christina Brown.
D. Non-Voting Members Absent: None.
E. Visitors: Jon Davidi, Marc Hess, Muriel Robotta, Vanessa Girard, David San Juan, Graciella Regua, Oday Yousif, Carlos Careaga.
It was moved and seconded to approve the agenda for today’s meeting.
Christina Brown made a friendly amendment to table the Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union Presentation to the next Board of Directors meeting. Kevin Hancock made a friendly amendment to add a presentation by the A.S. Chief of Staff, Jon Davidi, introducing the Board of Directors members to the Freshmen Leadership Experience members as Item D under University Reports and Presentations.
The agenda was approved as amended.
It was moved and seconded to approve the Board of Directors meeting minutes of 10/6/14, as attached.
A. Business and Financial Affairs Designee:
B. University President’s Designee: Randy Timm, Director of Student Life & Leadership, reported on the following on behalf of Christy Samarkos:
1. We send our condolences to the family and friends of Sara Stelzer. Randy holds much pride to Kappa Delta for organizing their candlelight vigil for Sara this past weekend.
2. All proper courses of action are being followed regarding the meningococcal meningitis outbreak. If any students are feeling ill, please direct them to Student Health Services.
3. Our offices are very excited for Homecoming next month and all of the programming planned for the week.
4. Movie Screening of Murderball: Thursday, October 23 in the Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union Theatre at 7 PM. Murderball is a documentary about physically disabled athletes who play wheelchair rugby.
5. StirFry Seminar with Speaker Lee Mun Wah: Wednesday, November 12 in the Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union from 5:30-8:30 PM. A specific meeting space will be announced closer to the event.
6. Six new learning communities have been created and will be available for freshmen next fall 2015 to apply for at http://housing.sdsu.edu/housing/rlc.aspx.
B. Mission Bay Aquatic Center (MBAC) Financial Results 2014-15: Carlos Careaga, Finance Director, presented the Financial Results of the Mission Bay Aquatic Center for 2014-2015 to the Board of Directors.
C. Introduction to Freshmen Leadership Experience: Jon Davidi, A.S. Chief of Staff, reported:
1. The 2014-15 Freshmen Leadership Experience (FLEX) team has been chosen. Each of the Board of Directors introduced themselves and their work as their position in A.S. They also mentioned previous roles they have had in the past and how they have led to their current position.
A. General Consent Agenda (Action): It was moved and seconded to approve the General Consent Agenda, as attached.
B. General Consent Report (Information): The General Consent Report was reviewed via electronic copy. For further reference please request a full agenda copy from the Government Secretary.
B. Executive Vice President: Kevin Hancock reported on the following:
1. Make sure all your friends know about Homecoming and the events happening throughout Homecoming week! Register for the 5K occurring on the morning of the Homecoming game at http://homecoming.sdsu.edu/homecoming/5k.aspx.
C. Vice President of External Relations: Jacqueline Karczewski reported on the following:
1. Today is the last day to register to vote!
2. On November 4, there will be polls in the Union for students and the college area community to vote.
3. The new AztecTV episode is now out! Watch it at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aD_deeT--Co.
4. A new pamphlet is being designed for the Good Neighbor Program.
5. The university’s "It’s On Us" video, support the nation’s campaign to end sexual assault, has been released: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VxaCMbXApI.
D. Vice President of Financial Affairs: Alex Padua reported on the following:
1. $1,100 was collected this past weekend’s football game for Aztecs Rock Hunger. The fundraiser is off to a fantastic start. Share the commercial on all your social media: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iN9g_Fx_r5Y.
E. Vice President of University Affairs: Corey Polant reported on the following:
1. The new learning communities created for incoming freshmen include ones targeted towards commuter students and out-of-state students, providing them the support they need to adjust to their new college lifestyles.
2. The Resolution to Change the Mascot had its first reading at University Council two weeks ago, where it was voted to send the Resolution to University Affairs Board for further research, and will have its second reading on November 5. Before the second reading, the University Affairs Board will be creating a report to answer University Council’s questions about its contents. It will be an action item on ASUC’s November 19 meeting.
F. Executive Director: Christina Brown reported on the following:
1. A campus pride working group has been created to improve the overall care of our campus and reducing gum litter and skateboard damage. Campus Life Council will be responsible for a campaign promoting this initiative amongst students, faculty, and staff in the near future.
2. All employees at the SDSU Children’s Center are clear of having any contraction of meningococcal meningitis. Student Health Services worked very closely with the SDSU Children’s Center.
3. The ARC Express has achieved Aztec Recreation’s goal of leveling out the use of its facilities amongst men and female members.
4. The Lorde’s concert at the Cal Coast Credit Union Open Air Theatre this past weekend was sold out.
5. Attendees of the Lifeway Women’s Conference were bussed onto campus to ensure all parking spots were available for students.
6. The Compliance Audit performed at the SDSU Children’s Center is being wrapped up.
7. If you have any questions about student organization accounting trainings, contact Alex Padua.
A. Keagan Casey reported on the following:
1. In regards to the initiative to get more underrepresented orgs, Keagan and Marilyn will incorporate members of the FLEX and FLI programs.
B. Kyle Murphy reported on the following:
1. Phase 3 of the Student Success Fee will begin at the next Campus Fee Advisory Committee this Friday.
C. Marilyn Martinez reported on the following:
1. Keagan and Marilyn received tips from Christina Brown about how to reach out to certain organizations.
2. Esperanza Tapia has been chosen as a designee to sit on behalf of Marilyn at Campus Life Council meetings.
The meeting was adjourned at 5:25 PM.