A.S. President, Josh Morse called the meeting to order at 4:07 PM at the Council Chambers at the Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union.
A. Voting Members Present: Josh Morse, Becca Cohen, Mariah Kelly, Jonathan Cole, Josh Garman, Kevin Hancock, Chad Karczewski, Washington Navarrete, Jessika Seekatz, Nancy Demich.
B. Voting Members Absent: Javier Gomez, Morgan Chan, Eric Rivera.
C. Non-Voting Members Present: Christina Brown, Clarice Mendoza, Dr. Timothy Quinnan.
D. Non-Voting Members Absent: None.
E. Visitors Present: Tyler Sasaki, Carlos Careaga.
It was moved and seconded to approve the agenda for today’s meeting.
A friendly amendment was made to add a Judicial Affairs Council Update as Item E under University Reports and Presentations.
The agenda was approved as amended.
It was moved and seconded to approve the Board of Directors meeting minutes of 1/27/14, as attached.
A. Student, Tyler Sasaki, reported on the following:
1. Addressing the renaming of the Aztec Student Union to the Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union, Tyler expressed his views and concerns against the name change.
A. Business and Financial Affairs Designee: Nancy Demich reported on the following:
1. Additional signage will be placed around campus to enhance the awareness of the new smoke free policy implementation, effective since January 1. The College of Health and Human Services will be helping to further the publicity of the policy’s implementation.
B. University President’s Designee: Dr. Timothy Quinnan reported on the following:
1. Registration for the Leadership Summit is the highest it has ever been. There is currently a soft cap at 400 students.
C. A.S. 2nd Quarter Financial Report: Vice President of Financial Affairs Mariah Kelly gave a report on the comparisons between the 2012-13 2nd Quarter report and the 2013-14 2nd Quarter report.
D. The Naming of the Union and Development Update: A.S. Executive Director Christina Brown explained the fundraising effort that SDSU has been making towards improving campus life and academics as well as the process of fundraising during the development of the Union. Names of spaces in the Union are named for individuals who are significant to the university, not necessarily the people who make the donations towards it. MARCOMM will be working to find ways of communicating the story of the Union to current students and SDSU students in the future.
E. Judicial Affairs Council Report: Justice Alexandria Johnstone reported on the following:
1. Council member requirements are coming up. The tabling requirement is due on Friday, February 14.
2. Alex Johnstone gave an update on the standing of all the Board of Directors members’ attendance for the current semester.
A. General Consent Agenda (Action): It was moved and seconded to approve the General Consent Agenda, as attached.
A friendly amendment was made to Table the 2/3 Facilities Minutes under the next Board of Directors meeting.
The agenda was approved as amended.
B. General Consent Report (Information): The General Consent Report was reviewed via electronic copy. For further reference please request a full agenda copy from the Government Secretary.
C. Election of Two Student-at-Large Members to the Executive Committee (Action): After a chance to make nominations, the Board of Directors appointed Josh Garman and Washington Navarrete as the two Board of Directors Student-at-Large members to serve on Executive Committee.
A. President: Josh Morse reported on the following:
1. Student Success Fee forums have reached a decent amount of students. Continue to encourage your peers to attend the upcoming forums if they haven’t done so already. More forums are being scheduled according to student feedback. There is also a video available on WebPortal with more information about the Student Success Fee. Remember that you request a scheduling of an open forum at least four days before the projected day. After the results of the forums are sent to the Campus Fee Advisory Committee, recommendations will be made by March 7.
2. If you’d like to make an announcement in your class about the Student Success Fee, a script is available in the Associated Students Office. Please remain objective in your announcements.
3. The Board of Directors nominate Josh Garman unanimously as A.S. Council Member of the Month.
B. Executive Vice President: Becca Cohen reported on the following:
1. Elections packets are due on Thursday, February 13 in the Associated Students Office.
2. Tickets to Saturday’s game are available at the Viejas Ticket Office.
3. A development/transition series is being created to help welcome in and prepare next year’s A.S. leaders.
C. Vice President of Financial Affairs: Mariah Kelly reported on the following:
1. The open spots on Financial Affairs Committee have been filled.
2. The midyear budget update meetings for registered student organizations have been going on throughout this week. If your organization has not done so already, please have your treasurer schedule a meeting with Mariah before Friday, February 21.
3. Mariah will be scheduling a meeting with all the students planning a high school conference to share her suggestions and feedback, as well as ensure that the planning processes of each high school conference is going smoothly.
D. Executive Director: Christina Brown reported on the following:
1. Last Friday, the holiday party for all of A.S.’ full-time staff was held at Aztec Lanes and was a great event!
2. Planning for Grand Dedication Week has been going smoothly. Christina and Jen have been working on the planning of the ribbon-cutting event, community open house, and the Legacy of Leadership Gala to follow, later that night. Alumni will be given the option of sponsoring students to attend the Gala when purchasing tickets.
3. The design for the donated trolley wrap has been finalized and will be displayed right before Grand Dedication Week.
4. There are three finalists for the Chief of Police search. Attend the open forums and answer their questions.
5. Next week is the beginning of March Madness!
6. New signage for the California Coastal Credit Union Open Air Theatre will be up in the next two weeks. The branch in the Union will be open by March 3.
A. Joshua Garman reported:
1. There will be many working group updates from Josh in the next few weeks.
2. Progress on the A.S. leader binders has been delayed. By the next Board of Directors meeting, there will be a prototype.
B. Kevin Hancock reported:
1. The CAL Student Success Fee forum was today. 35 people showed up! Go CAL!
C. Chad Karczewski reported:
1. Chad will be sitting on the Facilities Committee for the remainder of the semester.
The meeting was adjourned at 5:40 PM.