Cal Coast Credit Union Open Air Theatre History
Construction on the Cal Coast Credit Union Open Air Theatre (OAT) began in 1939. It provided campus with a 4,280-seat assembly site, along with fill for a land bridge across the canyon which, for the first time, connected the main campus with the gymnasium. The facility was also financed by the Works Progress Administration ($124,287), supplemented by $51,587 from the state. Although construction began in 1939, the effort progressed slowly. Forty thousand cubic yards of earth had to be moved (despite the fact that it was constructed in a natural canyon), and there were weather-related delays. The theater was finished in time for dedication during the 1941 Founder's Day celebration.