Ski & Snowboard Team Coach - Non-Paid
Volunteer Position Closed.
Please check back at a later date. Thank you!
Ski & Snowboard Team Coach - Non-Paid Position Description
Under the direction of the AS/SDSU Sport Club Coordinator Manager, the coach for the ski & snowboard team will be responsible for the following: collaborate with team captains on team development strategies; assist with team skill development; and assist with competition administrative and logistical duties. The coach may also assist captains with additional duties such as coordination of member recruitment; coordination and submission of competition/race entries; coordination of team travel/lodging; alumni engagement; and promotion and marketing. The coach must be available during the competition season to travel for races and competition weekends. The position averages 8-12 hours per week and requires availability for weekend hours.
The coach is responsible for the enforcement of rules, policies, and procedures as outlined in the Sport Club Handbook as well as all duties associated with coaching a collegiate club program. The successful candidate will be expected to enforce and comply with all policies and procedures established by Associated Students/SDSU, the Sport Club Program, and the Southwest College Ski & Snowboard Conference (USCSA West Division) while serving as a positive role model for the program and SDSU.
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT
Annually for the duration of the sport season in which they are coaching.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assist team members and athletes with skill development for competing and club athletes.
- Assist and provide guidance to athletes regarding races/competition.
- Assist with additional duties in collaboration with team captains and president.
- Working with team and Sport Club Administration to create a positive and enthusiastic learning environment.
- Comply with all job expectations as outlined in the Associated Students/SDSU Sport Club Coaching Agreement
- Ensure individual and program compliance with all policies and procedures of Associated Students/SDSU and Aztec Recreation
- Ensure safety of all team members, coaches and equipment is the top priority at all times
- Represent the team and Associated Students/SDSU in a professional manner at all times
- Assist team members and captains with technical racing skills
- Assist with practice sessions and races
- Ensure scheduled racers are at competitions on time
- Work with other coaches and league officials to collaborate efforts
- Assist with the necessary equipment maintenance and repairs
- Work collaboratively with team officers and administrators to develop and achieve program priorities
- Maintain team’s positive community standing
- Represent the team in regional or national meetings with other coaches or organizations
- Other duties as assigned
Position reports to the Intramural Sports and Sport Club Manager and helps provide direction to team captains and President. Position interacts with full-time staff within Aztec Recreation, including, but not limited to Recreation Director, Associate Director of Programs, and Intramural Sports and Sport Club Supervisor. Further interactions may include Sport Club Program Assistant, Sport Club Athletic Trainers, and other office staff.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While working outdoors, the work environment may involve exposure to various elements including but not limited to: severe weather, sun, heat/cold, wind, dust, pollens, precipitation, and other environmental risks as well as fumes and smoke. While working indoors, the lighting and temperature are adequate, and there are no hazardous or unpleasant conditions caused by dust, etc. Possible exposure to distracting/uncomfortable noise levels may require hearing protection to be worn when performing duties.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Physical requirements include but are not limited to: walking, walking in snow over rough, slippery, or uneven surfaces, loading and carrying equipment. Depending on job tasks, physical demands may require standing and walking for extended lengths of time and may require lifting, pushing, pulling, moving and carrying items up to 50 pounds.
CERTIFICATIONS AND TRAINING
- First Aid Certification
- CPR Certification
- AED Certification
- Attend all mandatory Aztec Recreation/Sport Club Staff meetings and trainings
- Coaching experience with an emphasis on skiing/snowboarding skill development and leadership
- Experience with USCSA race and competition, procedures, and guidelines
- Familiarity with race course, qualifications, and limitations preferred
- Must have or be able to attain AED, CPR and First-Aid certifications through the American Red Cross or other nationally recognized organization (on-line courses are excluded)
- Commitment to student success and ability to train, and evaluate collegiate student athletes
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills and the ability to work effectively with student athletes, team officers, coaches, administrators and alumni
- Commitment to adhere to all the policies, rules, and regulations of Associated Students/SDSU, Aztec Recreation and Southwest College Ski & Snowboard Conference (USCSA West Division)
- Must be professional and courteous at all times
- Must be able to work well with different work styles
- Must be able to work efficiently and show initiative
- Must be able to coordinate multiple tasks and projects
This position is non-paid/volunteer
Submit letter of interest, resume, and a list of three coaching references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Your application will be reviewed and qualified applicants will be interviewed. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. For more information regarding the position, contact the Ski & Snowboard team representative at email@example.com.