Under the supervision of the Aztec Student Union Technical Services Coordinator and the general direction of the Operations Lead, the primary responsibility of the Audio-Visual Assistant is to ensure audio-visual technical support for programs within the facilities are operating in accordance with guidelines established by Associated Student, San Diego State University, and the Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union. Audio-Visual Assistants operate professional audio, lighting, and projection equipment for special events in a high-quality fashion. Audio-Visual Assistants also maintain and repair audio-visual equipment as needed.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Audio Visual Production and Maintenance—
- Performs set-up, operation, and tear-downs of professional quality sound reinforcement systems, theatrical lighting systems, film and video projection equipment, and computer hardware and networking equipment for programs occurring within any of the Aztec Student Union facilities.
- Troubleshoots and responds to audio-visual problems as they arise with appropriate solutions.
- Ensures that all proper practices are taken for the set-up and tear-down of all audio-visual equipment is done in a safe and efficient manner.
- Performs weekly, monthly, quarterly, bi-annually, annually, and as needed inspections of all audio-visual equipment as to adhere to proper preventative maintenance practices. Repairs and services all pieces of audio-visual equipment as needed.
- Acts as the facility representative to ensure that Associated Students, San Diego State University, and Aztec Student Union policies are known to users of the student union facilities and are adhered to. Capable of communicating policies and standards of conduct effectively express expectations and problems to customers, students, and employees using the facilities.
- Performs all duties and responsibilities in accordance with the items set forth in Aztec Student Union Student Employee Training Guide.
- Maintains safe, orderly, and clean facilities during events occurring within all Aztec Student Union facilities.
- Acts as the on-site contact for Aztec Student Union clients before, during, and after programs to ensure that the audio-visual needs for every client’s expectations are met in a positive manner. This level of professionalism applies to all performers that may be involved in the program.
- Familiar with all applicable codes for places of public assembly in terms of Fire and Americans with Disabilities Act. Ensures all programs within Aztec Student Union facilities comply with such codes.
- Completes Post Event Reports documenting all aspects relating to audio-visual both positive and negative in regards to larger events held in Aztec Student Union facilities.
- Performs other duties as assigned to ensure functions of all Aztec Student Union facilities.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Work conditions may vary depending upon the location of job tasks required; may occur indoors and outdoors, therefore requiring exposure to a variety of elements. While working indoors, the lighting and temperature are adequate. The work environment may involve exposure to various elements including but not limited to: chemicals, dust, fumes, cold, heat, noise, vibrations and dampness. While working outdoors, the work environment may involve exposure to various elements including but not limited to: sun, heat/cold, dust, pollens and other environmental risks.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Physical requirements include but are not limited to: walking, walking over rough or uneven surfaces, bending, stooping, climbing, and working in confined space, lifting, pushing, pulling and carrying loads. Depending on job tasks, physical demands may require standing and walking for extended lengths of time and may require lifting, pushing, pulling, moving and carrying items up to 50 pounds (unassisted) and 75 pounds (with assistance), and using ladders.
Education: Must be a San Diego State University Student carrying six (6) units per semester.
- Must have previous experience in the set-up, operation, and tear down of professional audio, lighting, and projection equipment.
- Must be detail-oriented and able to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Must be comfortable dealing with the public and communicating with customers, students, and staff.
- Must have a flexible schedule to work nights, weekends, holidays, and long hours on an “as needed” basis.
- Must be able to lift and push 50 pounds (unassisted) and 75 pounds (with assistance), follow and communicate safety procedures to prevent work-related injuries.
Must have competence in social skills and cultural diversity. Individuals with higher level of proven previous experience with audio-visual equipment will be compensated accordingly.
Range I - $10.50 per hour; part-time