Under the direction of the AS/SDSU Aztec Recreation Marketing Coordinator the Public Relations Assistant is responsible for recreation marketing research projects, social media, public relations, customer communications, and special events. The Public Relations Assistant is responsible for upholding the Aztec Recreation mission and values of Wellness, Integrity, Safety, Service, Professionalism, Excellence, and Respect.
II. Typical Tasks:
- Individual must be fully knowledgeable of all the benefits (physical, mental and economic) of Aztec Recreation membership and programs. Individual must be ready, willing and able to communicate the benefits to current and prospective members and participants clearly and effectively
- The PR Assistant manages daily posts on the Aztec Recreation Facebook, Snapchat, Instagram and Twitter accounts as well as maintaining current trend information on social media platforms and their uses. The job assists in disseminating current fitness and wellness content through a variety of social media outlets
- The PR Assistant completes content coverage utilizing the Aztec Recreation editorial calendar ensuring coverage of all Aztec Recreation programs, services and facilities at appropriate times
- The position works within the Marketing team to help build relationships with Aztec Recreation members and participants to better achieve departmental goals and enhance the Aztec Recreation experience
- 1st person view and real-time updates of program content and information from participants p.o.v and catalog idea suggestions to improve program offerings from participants in real-time
- Creates brand loyalty by: creating visual content relatable to the different demographics to build brand ownership, highlighting standout members and employees on the platforms they’re active on, and provides a “face and personality” for the brand to the public
- Communicates with Aztec Recreation members assisting in educating members about events, programs and facilities to help them use their membership and reach their goals. Including, but not limited to, producing a weekly email and making phone calls to new members
- The PR Assistant is the editor for the Aztec Recreation monthly newsletters: utilitizes the editorial calendar, organizes content and seeks current, relevant content from other recreation staff and professionals. The PR Assistant researches fitness and wellness topics, writes and publishes articles on the Aztec Recreation Blog in addition to assisting in producing videos for Aztec Recreation digital media platforms
- Assists with marketing research and customer satisfaction studies including intercept interviews, assisting in focus group organization, and manning survey kiosks for data collection
- Assists in developing and running special events each semester including but not limited to open houses, Health Expos, Explore SDSU, facility grand openings, outreach tabling both on and off-campus, and the annual ARC ‘til Dark
- The PR Assistant works closely with Graphic Artists to ensure style guides, fonts, and photo styles are maintained.
- Must be a current or accepted SDSU student carrying at least six units per semester. Public Relations, Communications, Business, or Marketing student preferred.
- Excellent communication skills, public speaking experience, creative writing ability and organizational skills preferred.
- Knowledge of social media use for business is preferred
- MS Word and Excel proficiency required.
- Possess current certifications in CPR, AED, and First Aid; Confident being the first responder to all injuries and incidents that occur within Aztec Recreation facilities
- Must be able to lift up to 45 lbs repetitively and be able to stand for long periods of time
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and public relation skills to interact with members, guests, and all Aztec Recreation staff.
- Ability to multi task, work in a fast-paced environment, and provide strong attention to detail
- 15 - 20 hours per week including evenings and weekends
- Participate and/or knowledge of Aztec Recreation programs and facilities preferred
- Work study preferred
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While working indoors, the lighting and temperature are adequate, and there are no hazardous or unpleasant conditions caused by dust, etc. Work is performed both within an office environment and outdoors. In the office environment standard office equipment is available. Outdoor work will involve exposure to variable weather conditions.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Physical requirements include but are not limited to: walking, walking over rough or uneven surfaces, bending, stooping, climbing, and standing for long periods of time, sitting for long periods of time, lifting, pushing, pulling and carrying loads Depending on job tasks, physical demands may require standing and walking for extended lengths of time and may require lifting, pushing, pulling, moving and carrying items up to 50 pounds (unassisted) and 75 pounds (with assistance), and using ladders.
V. Employment Category:
Part-Time, Range I. Starting Rate: $9.00 per hour