SAN DIEGO STATE UNIVERSITY
COUNCIL CHAMBERS CONRAD PREBYS AZTEC STUDENT UNION – 3:30 PM
A.S. UNIVERSITY COUNCIL MINUTES
I. CALL TO ORDER:
Vice President of University Affairs Andrea Byrd called the meeting to order at 3:30 PM.
II. PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE
III. ROLL CALL:
- Voting Members Present: Blaire Ward, Leo Carillo, Tyler Aguilar, Dominic Bilotti, Andrea Byrd, Harrison Baum, Dylan Coliflower, Jaynie Lee (late), Paul Sullivan, Erik Tamiyasu, Megan Mahdi, Ana Morino, Ian Fielden (left early), Ty Yates, Alexis Dumitrescu, Justin Fatoohi, Gervin Prado, Jonny Semaan, Shawn Tenny, Nate Lloyd (left early), Sergio Cisneros (late) , Anthony Lee, Keaton Lash, Lewis Collazo (left early), Gervin Prado, Marisa Cubing, Sinthia Garcia, Keagan Casey.
- Voting Members Absent: Pablo Tinoco, Muriel Robotta.
- Ex-Officios (non-voting) Present: Linh Phan, Vitaliano Figueroa, Christina Brown.
- Ex-Officios (non-voting) Absent: Dr. Cezar Ornatowski.
- Visitors Present: None.
IV. MODIFICATIONS TO AGENDA:
It was moved and seconded to approve today’s agenda. COLIFLOWER/CASEY CARRIED
V. APPROVAL OF PREVIOUS MINUTES:
It was moved and seconded to approve the previous minutes. LLOYD/TAMIYASU CARRIED
VI. PUBLIC COMMENT:
VII. UNIVERSITY REPORTS AND PRESENTATIONS
- University Senate Designee, Dr.Ornatowski: None.
- University Vice President for Student Affairs Designee, Vitaliano Figueroa reported on the following:
- The Economic Crisis Response Team met and discussed funding.
- Past, Present and Future event will be on Thursday, November 12 from 6-8:30pm.
- Aztecs Core will be from January 5th-7th.
- Capital Fellows Program- Vanessa Garcia (Time Certain 4:15 P.M)
- Applicants need to be at least 20 years old.
- The program is designed to help people getting involved in the government work.
- Zahn Innovation Center-Cathy Pucher, Director (Time Certain 3:45 P.M) 1. The center is designed to help students start their own business. 2. There are mentors, legal services, and many more available for students. 3. Goal is to bring interdisciplinary teams together. 4. What they are looking for: novel idea, large market opportunity, ability to scale. 5. This year Zahn challenge had 88 applicants.
IX. ITEMS FOR CONSIDERATION:
- General Consent Agenda: It was moved and seconded to approve the General Consent Agenda, as attached. LEE/ MORINO CARRIED
- General Consent Report: (Information) The General Consent Report was reviewed via electronic copy. For further reference please request a full agenda copy from the Government Secretary.
X. REPORTS OF UNIVERSITY COUNCIL MEMBERS:
- Andrea Byrd, Vice President of University Affairs:
- Reminded members that there will be a joint meeting with Campus Life Council in two weeks.
- Andrea will be hosting a forum workshop on this Friday at 9am in Council Chambers.
- The list of organizations tabling during forums will be due this Friday at 4:30pm to Andrea. She will be sending confirmation email about tabling hours.
- If you already have spring events planned, let Jen know at email@example.com so she can put them in the A.S calendar.
- Blaire Ward, President:
- After every meeting, we will be going as a council to Oggi’s and get to know each other.
- Encouraged everyone to table for Aztecs Rock Hunger.
- There is a Rock n Roll mural on the 3rd floor of the library.
- Survey has been sent out! Please study it.
- Leo Carillo, Executive Vice President:
- Encouraged everyone to attend the homecoming football game on November 14t!
- Remember to sign up for the Homecoming 5k! Leo is shooting for 300 runners.
- Sign up for Porfolium!
- No shave November to support Prostate Cancer Awareness.
- Tyler Aguilar, Vice President of External Relations:
- Senator, Marty Block, will be at External Relations Board meeting this Monday.
- Starting next semester, ERB will start voter registration education.
- Board of Trustees meeting will be on November 17th in Long Beach.
- On November 16th, there will be an Assembly hearing in the Union to discuss food security and student homelessness.
- Dominic Bilotti, Vice President of Financial Affairs:
- Please continue to support Aztecs Rock Hunger.
- Reminded everyone that you can also donate through the virtual pantry.
- There is a basketball game on next Friday! Dom encouraged everyone to help tabling for Aztecs Rock Hunger at this game.
- Christina Brown, Executive Director:
- There is not enough media attention on sexual assault programs going on on campus.
- Anthony Lee, ASBOD Student-at-Large:
- SDSU App Sub-Committee proposal was not heard on October 28th. Stakeholders have expressed that they would be more comfortable if the committee took a more methodical approach to the development of the app.
- Met with specialized staff from Enrollment Management on November 10th about better strategies to recruit Native American students.
- Met with A.S Finance director, Carlos on Friday. They discussed the transition of all student organizations banking to A.S. by July 1st.
- Next year, the Office of Housing Administration will be offering MTS trolley passes for students who live in upper division campus housing.
- Discussed with members about Blaire’s campus wide survey. He noted that over 65% of students do not know who their A.S leaders are.
It was moved and seconded to adjourn the meeting. TENNY/BAUM CARRIED
Vice President of University Affairs Andrea Byrd adjourned the meeting at 5:27 PM.