OCTOBER 21, 2015 – COUNCIL CHAMBERS
CONRAD PREBYS AZTEC STUDENT UNION – 3:30 PM
A.S. UNIVERSITY COUNCIL MINUTES
I. CALL TO ORDER:
Vice President of University Affairs Andrea Byrd called the meeting to order at 3:31 PM.
II. PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE
III. ROLL CALL:
- Voting Members Present: Blaire Ward, Leo Carillo, Tyler Aguilar, Dominic Bilotti, Andrea Byrd, Harrison Baum, Dylan Coliflower, Pablo Tinoco, Jaynie Lee, Paul Sullivan, Erik Tamiyasu, Megan Mahdi, Ana Morino, Ian Fielden, Ty Yates, Muriel Robotta, Alexis Dumitrescu, Justin Fatoohi, Gervin Prado, Jonny Semaan, Shawn Tenny, Nate Lloyd, Sergio Cisneros, Anthony Lee, Keaton Lash, Lewis Collazo, Gervin Prado.
- Voting Members Absent: Marisa Cubing, Sinthia Garcia, Keagan Casey.
- Ex-Officios (non-voting) Present: Linh Phan, Vitaliano Figueroa, Christina Brown, Dr. Cezar Ornatowski.
- Ex-Officios (non-voting) Absent: None.
- Visitors Present: None.
IV. MODIFICATIONS TO AGENDA:
It was moved and seconded to approve today’s agenda. COLIFLOWER/LLOYD CARRIED
V. APPROVAL OF PREVIOUS MINUTES:
It was moved and seconded to approve the previous minutes. TENNY/YATES CARRIED
VI. PUBLIC COMMENT:
VII. UNIVERSITY REPORTS AND PRESENTATIONS
- University Senate Designee, Dr.Ornatowski reported on the following:
- Gave an overview of the freshman class average testing scores. The average is GPA is 3.69, SAT is 1118, ACT is 25.
- University Vice President for Student Affairs Designee, Vitaliano Figueroa reported on the following:
- Compact for Success will be on October 24th.
- The Economic Crisis Response Team’s new website will be live tomorrow. This program is created to support students with unforeseen circumstances with housing and food vouchers.
- Campus leaders will be going to Bayview Baptist Church on October 25th to talk about SDSU.
- Assembly Speaker Toni G. Atkins, California State Assembly:
- Introduced herself and discussed how her childhood has impacted her view on education.
- There is a $250 million increase in the CSU’s budget.
- Informed the council members on the Middle Class Scholarship. For this past budget, the Cal grants have increased 12%.
- AB 12-28 bill: gives priority to homeless youth to get housing on campus.
VIII. ITEMS FOR CONSIDERATION:
- General Consent Agenda: It was moved and seconded to approve the General Consent Agenda, as attached. TENNY/ROBOTTA CARRIED
- General Consent Report: (Information) The General Consent Report was reviewed via electronic copy. For further reference please request a full agenda copy from the Government Secretary.
IX. REPORTS OF UNIVERSITY COUNCIL MEMBERS:
- Andrea Byrd, Vice President of University Affairs:
- There will be college council forums in the Goldberg Courtyard from November 16th-19th. She will have sign-up sheet for tabling time slots, and every college council needs to pick one slot by Friday, October 30th at 4:30pm. If not, Andrea will assign the time. The deadline for a list of organizations tabling will be due on Friday, November 6th.
- Encouraged members to stand up after class and talk about A.S. Videotape it and send it to Andrea and she will buy you a nice lunch!
- Andrea is thinking about hosting a “How to give a 30 seconds elevator pitch” about A.S.
- After next Campus Life Council meeting, we will be going to Leadership Reception. Please remember to wear your polos and nice slacks.
- Blaire Ward, President:
- Survey has been analyzed. If you want to see the raw data, email Blaire at email@example.com
- Let Blaire know if you still have not gotten a padfolio yet.
- Gave Christina’s report on her behalf because she had to leave early: a. Christina apologized for not being able to stay for the entire meeting. She is in the middle of a final deliberation on selecting the new Union Director.
- CEO of Sports 1 will be speaking on Thursday, October 29th at 7pm in Pride Suite.
- Leo Carillo, Executive Vice President:
- There will be an Oggi’s bonding social today right after University Council meeting.
- March to the Arch is tomorrow! Football game tickets for Friday will be handed out during the march.
- Reminded everyone that JAC bylaw amendments are due this Friday.
- Encouraged members to participate in the Homecoming Team Competition. Deadline will be extended for anyone who cannot make the current one.
- Homecoming Court announcement will be from 12-1pm at the Union next Thursday.
- Tyler Aguilar, Vice President of External Relations:
- Aztecs Outreach will be on November 13th from 4-6:30pm.
- Next Republican Debate will be on October 28th. Tyler will reserve a room so we can all watch it together.
- There will be another Republican Debate on November 14th.
- Senate Committee meeting will be on November 17th. Let Tyler know if you would like to come with him.
- Compact for Success will be on this Saturday, October 24th. If you want to be on the panel, let Tyler know.
- Dominic Bilotti, Vice President of Financial Affairs:
- 66 proposals were funded in total from the Student Success Fee.
- Gave a shout-out to College of Engineering for doing a great job at the engineering fair!
- Passed out Aztecs Rock Hunger buttons to University Council members.
- Thermometer will update weekly on our progress for Aztecs Rock Hunger campaign.
- Encouraged everyone to change profile picture on facebook to Aztecs Rock Hunger and remember to use #ARH2k15.
- Dom and his team will be doing walk-arounds through next week.
- Challenged everyone to talk about Aztecs Rock Hunger after class and Dom will buy you lunch!
- Christina Brown, Executive Director: None.
- Anthony Lee, Student-at-Large:
- During the last SDSU App meeting, the committee debriefed the Modo Labs (Kurugo) presentation/demo. Modo Labs has a neogitated standard price for all CSU’s. Anthony has discussed with Christina and Dom the possibility of an A.S contribution to the project. Sub-committee proposal will be heard on October 28th at the Enterprise Technology Advisory Committee.
- Gave a presentation on the A.S resolution process at University Affairs Board.
- Anthony had a phone call with Harvard University yesterday about their banking process. He is working with Dom and Carlos about improvements to our current process that resembles Harvard.
- Encouraged council members to make goals and do things on the behalf on the entire student body. He also expressed that a lot of students feel really disconnected from A.S.
It was moved and seconded to adjourn the meeting. TENNY/TAMIYASU CARRIED Vice President of University Affairs Andrea Byrd adjourned the meeting at 5:31 PM.