SEPTEMBER 23, 2015 – COUNCIL CHAMBERS
CONRAD PREBYS AZTEC STUDENT UNION – 3:30 PM
A.S. UNIVERSITY COUNCIL MINUTES
I. CALL TO ORDER:
Vice President of University Affairs Andrea Byrd called the meeting to order at 3:30 PM.
II. PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE
III. ROLL CALL:
- Voting Members Present: Blaire Ward, Leo Carillo, Tyler Aguilar, Dominic Bilotti, Andrea Byrd, Harrison Baum, Dylan Coliflower, Pablo Tinoco, Jaynie Lee, Paul Sullivan, Erik Tamiyasu, Megan Mahdi, Ana Morino, Ian Fielden, Ty Yates, Marisa Cubing, Sinthia Garcia, Muriel Robotta, Alexis Dumitrescu, Justin Fatoohi, Gervin Prado, Jonny Semaan, Shawn Tenny, Nate Lloyd, Keagan Casey, Sergio Cisneros, Anthony Lee.
- Voting Members Absent: Keaton Lash, Lewis Collazo, Gervin Prado.
- Ex-Officios (non-voting) Present: Linh Phan, Dr. Cezar Ornatowski.
- Ex-Officios (non-voting) Absent: Randy Timm, Christina Brown.
- Visitors Present: Chris Thomas, John Miller, Joey Lucero, Anya Shutorska, Daniel Matlock, Tagg Hurtubise, Nancy Nguyen, Brie Hornig, Michael Liu.
IV. MODIFICATIONS TO AGENDA:
It was moved and seconded to approve the agenda of September 23, 2015. LLOYD/CISNEROS CARRIED
V. APPROVAL OF PREVIOUS MINUTES:
It was moved and seconded to approve the previous minutes. COLIFLOWER/ROBOTTA CARRIED
VI. PUBLIC COMMENT:
VII. UNIVERSITY REPORTS AND PRESENTATIONS
- University Senate Designee, Dr. Cezar Ornatowski reported on the following:
- All new faculties will need to go through a mandatory background check.
- Currently, there are too many course evaluation forms for different colleges. The university is working on making a uniform format so it will be easier for students to fill out.
- University Vice President for Student Affairs Designee: None.
- The University Deans’ Panel: Deans and representatives from each college spoke about their respective colleges and answered questions.
VIII. ITEMS FOR CONSIDERATION:
- General Consent Agenda: It was moved and seconded to approve the General Consent Agenda, as attached. SULLIVAN/LEE CARRIED
- General Consent Report: (Information) The General Consent Report was reviewed via electronic copy. For further reference please request a full agenda copy from the Government Secretary.
IX. REPORTS OF UNIVERSITY COUNCIL MEMBERS:
- Andrea Byrd, Vice President of University Affairs:
- Andrea is working on reviving the Aztecs Culture Education program.
- She is also working on having internship classes that students can earn credits from.
- At next UC meeting, Rayanne Williams will be talking about the new waitlist system.
- Reminded everyone to always wear their polos to meetings and dress professionally!
- Clayton and Andrea gave a presentation to a class that is doing research on A.S. They are working together to find out what are the best practices to reach out to students.
- Send resumes to either Andrea or Blaire to look over if you would like.
- Please follow up with students who are interested in joining A.S so they will not lose their interest over time.
- Blaire Ward, President:
- Thanked and applauded Andrea for bringing the Deans to UC today!
- The execs met and talked about house rules at meetings and have decided on a few expectations, such as: NO phone policy, keep your posture straight, wear polos.
- Reminded council members to be aware of hot topics on campus and understand them thoroughly.
- Execs are visiting student organizations. Please let them know if you would like them to come to your orgs.
- Please take the student survey. It will not be taken down unless we reach 10%.
- When you do reports, please only hit highlights of your meetings and follow Who, What, When, Where, Why format.
- Goals are finally passed back and they are in your mailboxes! Please bring them back to your councils to develop them.
- Nate won the competition today for using the most inclusive language!
- Introduced the Flexes! We had 35 applicants and only these 5 were selected.
- Leo Carillo, Executive Vice President:
- Homecoming theme is San Diego State of Mind.
- There will be a t-shirt swap for the first 50 students. Everyone else can have a t-shirt for $10.
- Homecoming video shooting will be from 12-3pm on this Sunday.
- Please let Leo know if anyone wants him to come to your organizations about Homecoming!
- Tyler Aguilar, Vice President of External Relations:
- The U.S Department is cutting student loans. Ty will be emailing out an email with the letter that you can send to congressional representatives to appeal this.
- Tyler is working on educating students on voter registration and why it is important to vote, especially locally in San Diego.
- Dominic Bilotti, Vice President of Financial Affairs:
- Gave tips to council members on how to give reports.
- The reason why they can’t have the Student Success Fee application during the spring is because students are paying for it in the fall, so they should be applying during the fall semester instead of spring.
- Please have Dom come to your college councils to give presentation on funding.
- Reminded council members to promote Aztecs Rock Hunger.
- The first home game brought in $400,000 in revenue!
- Christina Brown, Executive Director: None.
- Anthony Lee, Student-At-Large:
- Anthony met with Greg Block, Chief Communications Officer for SDSU and Ben Eisenstein, Associate Director of Marketing for Aztec Shops to compare research notes for the SDSU Applications. ETAC Sub-Committee for App will meet on Mondays, bi-weekly.
- Each BOD member was assigned to various boards, committees, and councils to help with charters, goals and visions. Anthony will be meeting with Chelsea, the PSFA president, and Jeremy, the Honors Council president in the coming weeks.
- Met with Dr. Emilio Ulloa, the Educational Opportunity Program Director and shared methods and strategies on research for the future. There will be an EOP Homeroom on blackboard for students.
- College of Sciences:
- Dean’s Bowling will be on Thursday, October 22nd from 4-6pm at the Bowling Arena located at SDSU.
- Open Forum on Monday, October 19th, the location is still undecided.
- Student Nutrition Organization:
- 3rd Annual Kids Eat Right Dinner Gala and SIlen Auction will be on Friday, October 23rd at the Hall of Champions in Balboa Park (2131 Pan American Plaza, San Diego, CA 92101)
- Undeclared Council:
- Created a Twitter and Instagram accounts for the Undeclared Council and updated the undeclared website with new execs information.
- College of Business:
- Student Accounting Society: Meet the Firm’s on Friday, October 2nd from 3-6pm in Montezuma Hall. This Friday is the last day to register.
- Hispanic Business Student Council: Daphne’s Fundraiser on September 23rd at 4pm to close.
- Graduate Student Association:
- GSA will be hosting elections on Monday, October 12th at 7pm in Council Chambers.
It was moved and seconded to adjourn the meeting. TAMIYASU/YATES CARRIED Vice President of University Affairs Andrea Byrd adjourned the meeting at 6:12 PM.