SEPTEMBER 9, 2015 – COUNCIL CHAMBERS
CONRAD PREBYS AZTEC STUDENT UNION – 3:30 PM
A.S. UNIVERSITY COUNCIL MINUTES
I. CALL TO ORDER:
Vice President of University Affairs Andrea Byrd called the meeting to order at 3:30 PM.
II. PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE
III. ROLL CALL:
- Voting Members Present: Blaire Ward, Leo Carillo, Tyler Aguilar, Dominic Bilotti, Andrea Byrd, Harrison Baum, Dylan Coliflower, Pablo Tinoco, Jaynie Lee, Paul Sullivan, Erik Tamiyasu, Megan Mahdi, Ana Morino, Lewis Collazo, Ian Fielden, Ty Yates, Marisa Cubing, Sinthia Garcia, Muriel Robotta, Alexis Dumitrescu, Justin Fatoohi, Gervin Prado, Jonny Semaan, Shawn Tenny, Nate Lloyd, Keagan Casey, Sergio Cisneros, Anthony Lee.
- Voting Members Absent: Keaton Lash, Brooke Snyder.
- Ex-Officios (non-voting) Present: Linh Phan, Christina Brown.
- Ex-Officios (non-voting) Absent: Randy Timm, Dr. Cezar Ornatowski.
- Visitors Present: Patty Masengale, Clayton Bishop, Chris Thomas, Dr. Kathy La Master.
IV. MODIFICATIONS TO AGENDA:
It was moved and seconded to approve the agenda of September 9, 2015. ROBOTTA/CASEY CARRIED
V. APPROVAL OF PREVIOUS MINUTES:
VI. PUBLIC COMMENT:
- Marketing & Communications Committee Coordinator, Clayton Bishop, reported:
- Clayton spoke on behalf of A.S MarComm to offer marketing help for other AS events. MarComm has marketed a lot of events on campus and knows what the best way to communicate to students is. He encouraged UC members to contact email@example.com whenever anyone is hosting an event so the committee can help promote.
VII. UNIVERSITY REPORTS AND PRESENTATIONS
- University Senate Designee: None.
- University Vice President for Student Affairs Designee: None.
- Student Success Fee Presentation, Dr. Kathy La Master, Associate Vice President for Academic Affairs: Dr. Kathy La Master gave a presentation on the student success fee. Building on Excellence is campus strategic plan. The plan includes 3 areas: student success, research and creative endeavors, and community and communication. The goals for Student Success Fee are: increase course selection, increase number of tenure-track faculty, and increase in academic related activities. The student success fee is $200 a semester. Last year, 81 student proposals were funded from the student success fee. This year, there is currently $600,000 available for students to use. Some successful projects include but not limited to conferences and conventions, undergraduate research, and team student projects.
VIII. ITEMS FOR CONSIDERATION:
- A. General Consent Agenda: It was moved and seconded to approve the General Consent Agenda, as attached. BAUM/TENNY CARRIED
- General Consent Report: (Information) The General Consent Report was reviewed via electronic copy. For further reference please request a full agenda copy from the Government Secretary.
IX. INTRODUCTION OF NEW LEGISLATIVE MATTERS:
X. REPORTS OF UNIVERSITY COUNCIL MEMBERS:
- Andrea Byrd, Vice President of University Affairs:
- Thanked everyone for coming to today’s first UC meeting of the semester.
- On September 23rd, at UC, there will be a Deans Panel.
- On October 7th, at UC, Rayanne Williams will be presenting on the new waitlist system.
- Submit proposals to the Chancellor’s Entertainment Industry Initiative to have celebrities to come to our school.
- Let’s Talk campaign will have its weekly events in the Union theater.
- Bring resumes to next UC meeting so Blaire and Andrea can look them over for you.
- Blaire Ward, President:
- The Alumni Associations Annual Awards event will be taking place on Friday, September 18th at the Cal Coast Credit Union Open Air Theatre. This is the first time that A.S leaders are invited to this event so please represent A.S well if you are going. The theme is Rock and Roll in business attire.
- At your college council meetings, please encourage everyone to fill out the Campus Survey. The survey will not be closed until we reach 10%.
- Aztec Mentor Program application is due today.
- If you do not have the vision paper from retreat, please contact Jen or Blaire for a new one.
- Set up an appointment to meet with Blaire or any of the execs, or BOD members to discuss charters.
- Reminded everyone to use inclusive language during meetings.
- Leo Carillo, Executive Vice President:
- Apologized for coming in late because he was giving a tour to the Ambassadors.
- There will be a March the Arch every Thursday before a home football game.
- Next Saturday at 11:30am will be Super Saturday. Everyone is invited.
- There is only 2 more weeks of Aztecs Nights so please come out and show school spirit.
- Tyler Aguilar, Vice President of External Relations:
- Tony Atkins, speaker of the House will be at UC on October 21st. Please do some research and have questions ready for her.
- College Ice Cream Social will be on Sunday, September 20th, from 2-4pm in the Goldberg Courtyard.
- TRUMBA calendar will be used extensively. If college councils are having any event, please email Tyler so he can have the events on the calendar.
- Dominic Bilotti, Vice President of Financial Affairs:
- Dom gave a presentation at Health and Human Services council meeting earlier today.
- FAC had an intro meeting last week.
- Aztecs Rock Hunger will include 4 basketball games, 2 football games this semester.
- Logo for Aztecs Rock Hunger will be presented at next meeting.
- There will be a competition between college councils to see who can donate the most for Aztecs Rock Hunger.
- Christina Brown, Executive Director:
- Congratulated everyone on a great first meeting. Christina also reminded council representatives to take notes and bring them back to their councils.
- University Senate will be having a review of A.S this year. Contact Christina if you are interested in knowing more information on this.
- Anthony Lee, BOD Student-at-Large:
- Anthony is working on developing a comprehensive SDSU Mobile application. He will send out an email to council members to solicit their opinions about the student targeted features of the application. 2. He met with A.S Finance Director, Carlos Careaga to discuss possible improvements to the student organization baking system. Carlos and his team are working on finalizing a new 15 minute appointment system for student organizations to bring in their items for purchase through a P-card. Anthony will inform council members as more improvements are researched.
It was moved and seconded to adjourn the meeting. LLOYD/COLLAZO CARRIED Vice President of University Affairs Andrea Byrd adjourned the meeting at 4:57 PM.