Vice President of University Affairs Morgan Chan called the meeting to order at 3:37 PM.
A. Voting Members Present: Morgan Chan, Stav Geffner, Jordan Harrison, Jack Losey, Sean Zaher, Onochie Ani, Alex Ben, Lindsey Schaefer, Marya Edgar, Tasnim El Mezain, Kristina Morales, Raquel Martin, Blaire Ward, Katelynne Willis, Michelle Mitchell, Cameron Wilmore, Jonathan Cole, Chad Karczewski, Jessika Seekatz, Josh Morse, Becca Cohen, Javier Gomez, Mariah Kelly.
B. Voting Members Absent: Cindy Lopez, Joshua Beverly.
C. Ex-Officios (non-voting) Present: Christina Brown, Clarice Mendoza, Dr. Cesar Ornatowski, Freddie Sanchez.
D. Ex-Officios (non-voting) Absent: Dr. Timothy Quinnan.
E. Visitors Present: Nick Serrano, Corey Polant, Jared Allyn.
It was moved and seconded to approve the agenda of March 5, 2014.
Josh Morse made a friendly amendment to add an Action Becca Cohen made a friendly amendment to change the time certain for adjournment to 4:30 PM.
The agenda was approved amended.
It was moved and seconded to approve the previous minutes of February 19, 2014.
A. University Senate Designee, Dr. Cesar Ornatowski reported:
1. The University Senate approved the created of the Honors College.
2. Dr. Ornatowski gave the University Council members insight on the differences between the current state of higher education in the United States today and how higher education was run in Poland, back in Dr. Ornatowski’s college days.
B. SDSU Vice President of Student Affairs Designee, Dr. Tim Quinnan:
A. General Consent Agenda: (Action)
It was moved and seconded to approve the General Consent Agenda, as attached.
It was moved and seconded to separate out the 2/26 University Affairs Board minutes.
The agenda was approved as amended.
B. General Consent Report: (Information)
The General Consent Report was reviewed via electronic copy. For further reference please request a full agenda copy from the Government Secretary.
C. Action Item Review for Appointments & Review Committee: (Action)
Morgan Chan reviewed over University Council’s representatives on the Appointments and Review Committee and discussed the need for representatives who can attend the established schedule for the upcoming appointment interviews.
It was moved and seconded to open nominations.
EL MEZAIN/GOMEZ CARRIED
University Council Nominees:
- Alex Ben
- Kristina Morales
It was moved and seconded to close nominations.
Alex Ben and Kristina Morales were approved as a representative of the University Council on the Appointments and Review Committee by acclamation.
A. Morgan Chan, Vice President of University Affairs:
1. Welcome Savannah to University Council! She is our new College of Sciences Representative.
2. Don’t forget to send out your monthly college e-mails for the month of March.
3. Review your learning outcomes with your college council.
4. Morgan is working on the all-college council tabling event for this semester.
B. Josh Morse, President:
1. The third open forum for the third candidate for Provost is on Tuesday, March 18 from 3:45-4:45 PM in the Aztec Student Union Theatre for the third candidate, Chukuka Enwemeka, the current Dean of the College of Health Sciences for the University of Wisconsin, Milwaukee.
2. The candidate open forums for the College of Business Dean will be coming in March.
3. Campus Fee Advisory Committee approved the $200 increase of student fees as a result of the Student Success Fee forums. 1,015 students filled out the surveys at the open forum.
C. Becca Cohen, Executive Vice President:
1. Nominations are now open for the Aztec Achievement Awards.
2.Come to the Aztecs Unite @ the Union Day this Saturday on March 8! It will be starting in the Lee & Frank Goldberg Courtyard.
D. Javier Gomez, Vice President of External Relations:
1. Give your friends the "Made in the CSU" rave cards in support of the campaign. There are important facts about the California State University system to prove where our college system is the best in the nation.
2. The second episode of the State Report is up on YouTube. Check it out!
3. Volunteers are needed for Explore SDSU on Saturday, March 15. Contact Jennifer Esquivel-Parker for more details.
E. Mariah Kelly, Vice President of Financial Affairs:
1. An e-mail will be sent out to all college councils about their required budget hearings.
2. Explore Arts & Tradition @ the Union will be on Thursday, March 6. Events will be happening all day, so come out and participate.
F. Jessika Seekatz, Board of Directors Student-At-Large:
1. Students are organizing open forums against the implementation of a student fee increase at SDSU. There will be an open forum tomorrow at 9 AM on the steps of the Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union about the Student Success Fee forum. A letter was sent to President Hirshman inviting him to the open forum.
G. Stav Geffner, College of Arts & Letters Representative:
1. The College of Arts & Letters Council will be hosting their open forum next Monday, March 10 in Scripps Cottage from 10 AM-12 PM
2. Kevin Hancock is writing a resolution to add student seats in department meetings to increase shared governance in SDSU’s different colleges
H. Sean Zaher, College of Business Representative:
The Associated Business Student Council will be hosting their open forum on Wednesday, March 12 from 3-5 PM in Tehuanco on the second floor of the Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union.
I. Lindsey Schaefer, College of Education Representative:
The College of Education Student Council will be having their open forum on Saturday, March 15 at 7 PM in Scripps Cottage.
J. Onochie Ani, College of Engineering Representative:
The Artist Showcase is tonight! The student opener for the GreenFest Concert will be chosen.
K. Alex Ben, College of Engineering Representative:
As a result of the discussions made about improving the academic experience of engineering students at Associated Engineering Student Council’s open forum, there have been more MATLAB classes added for students having a hard time enrolling for them, due to lack of sections.
L. Taz El Mezain, College of Health & Human Services Representative:
1. The College of Health and Human Services Student Council is on Thursday, March 20 from 1:30-3 PM in Park Blvd at the Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union.
M. Kristina Morales, College of Health & Human Services Representative:
1. March is National Nutrition Month! Kristina passed out green wristbands to the University Council to wear throughout the month.
N. Katie Willis, College of Professional Studies and Fine Arts Representative:
1. Flyers will be placed in the residence halls about PSFA and CSSC’s upcoming events and open forums.
O. Michelle Mitchell, College of Sciences Representative:
1. The College of Sciences Student Council will be tabling at Explore SDSU.
2. The Discover Your Dreams event is coming soon. It will be held in the theatre.
3. The CSSC open forum will be on Friday, March 14 at 4:30 PM.
P. Christina Brown, Executive Director:
1. The Active Transportation Policy Luncheon is on Monday, March 10.
It was moved and seconded to adjourn the meeting.
Vice President of University Affairs Morgan Chan adjourned the meeting at 4:43 PM.