Vice President of University Affairs Morgan Chan called the meeting to order at 3:32 PM.
A. Voting Members Present: Morgan Chan, Stav Geffner, Cindy Lopez, Helena McAllister, Jordan Harrison, Jack Losey, Sean Zaher, Onochie Ani, Alex Ben, Lindsey Schaefer, Marya Edgar, Tasnim El Mezain, Kristina Morales, Raquel Martin, Blaire Ward, Katelynne Willis, Joshua Beverly, Michelle Mitchell, Cameron Wilmore, Alicia Zamudio Montes de Oca, Jake Garelick, Raj Mohanty, Josh Morse, Becca Cohen, Javier Gomez
B. Voting Members Absent: Mariah Kelly
C. Ex-Officios (non-voting) Present: Jennifer Esquivel-Parker, Clarice Mendoza, Kevin Hancock, Jessika Seekatz, Jonathan Cole, Dr. Timothy Quinnan
D. Ex-Officios (non-voting) Absent: Dr. Ghada Osman
E. Visitors Present: None
It was moved and seconded to approve the agenda of September 11, 2013.
Javier Gomez made a friendly amendment to add a time certain adjournment at 4:45 PM. Josh Morse added University Council Requirements as an information item under Items for Consideration, as a friendly amendment.
The agenda was approved as amended.
A. University Senate Designee, Dr. Ghada Osman reported:
B. SDSU Vice President of Student Affairs Designee, Dr. Tim Quinnan reported:
1. Thank you everyone for hosting a great welcome weekend for all the incoming freshmen!
A. General Consent Agenda: (Action)
It was moved and seconded to approve the General Consent Agenda, as attached.
B. General Consent Report: (Information)
The General Consent Report was reviewed via electronic copy. For further reference please request a full agenda copy from the Government Secretary.
C. Appointment and Review Committee Elections: (Information)
It was moved and seconded to open nominations for the three University Council member positions on the Appointment and Review Committee.
University Council Nominees:
University Council Votes:
Jordan Harrison -16
Cameron Wilmore - 8
Cindy Lopez - 9
Alex Ben - 7
Raquel Martin - 11
Onochie Ani – 9
Due to the tie between Onochie Ani and Cindy Lopez, there was a revote.
University Council Re-votes:
Onochie Ani – 12
Cindy Lopez - 8
It was moved and seconded to close nominations for the three University Council member positions on the Appointment and Review Committee.
Congratulations to Onochie, Raquel, and Jordan for being elected as members of the Appointment and Review Committee!
D. UC Special Presentation Series: (Information)
The University Council discussed possible presentations they’d like to see at future University Council meetings, including invitations to staff from undergraduate research and career services to come and speak, as well as presentations on internships and scholarships.
E. UC Requirements: (Information)
Morgan Chan reviewed over the required duties of University Council members.
A. Morgan Chan, Vice President of University Affairs:
1. Get your friends interested in the Strategic Plan working groups! Meetings begin soon.
2. The Academic Affairs Council members are discussing a potential service project for all the college councils to participate in. There has also been discussion of starting intramural sports teams.
3. Watch out for updates on the Aztec Student Union events!
B. Josh Morse, President:
1. Strategic Plan working group sign-ups have been completed.
2. Working to improve alumni engagement and different initiatives for getting students to come back to campus in years to come.
C. Becca Cohen, Executive Vice President:
1. The Campus Life Council meeting was last Wednesday. There was an Aztec Nights presentation by Dr. Quinnan, an Athletics presentation by Steve Schnall, and Corey Polant, Gabrielle Gray, and Grace Diaz have filled the three Campus Life Council members spots on the Appointments and Review Committee.
2. Meet Your Reps Night is 6-8 PM at the Cuicacalli Dining Hall next Wednesday, September 18. This event is open to all students to attend, not only freshman.
3. The deadline to submit your application for the Homecoming student team competition is on September 27. Go to the Homecoming website at http://homecoming.sdsu.edu/homecoming/ to apply.
4. Check out the A.S. Twitter page for immediate updates on all A.S. events! @associatedstudentssdsu
D. Javier Gomez, Vice President of External Affairs:
1. National Voter Registration Day is September 24! ERB is working on their plans for that day, in order to get as many students registered as possible in time for the San Diego special election for mayor this November.
2. Currently looking for someone to fill the Legislative Research Assistant position to chair Lobby Corps.
3. Javier will be traveling to Washington D.C. with another CSSA representative next week to lobby for higher education.
4. The executive officers traveled to Ohio State this past weekend to tour the campus and tour their student union. It was impressive to see the love the Buckeyes have for their university and it’s a spirit that SDSU should aim to attain.
5. SDSU was ranked 152 overall of all college in the United States. We moved up 32 spots in this national ranking.
6. Attend Screen on the Green this Friday! Josh and Javier are hosting.
E. Marya Edgar, College of Health and Human Services Representative:
1. The CHHSCC went over their goals at their first meeting and hope to develop a research program and study areas for their college and its members. Committees will be created in the future to achieve these goals.
F. Alex Ben, College of Engineering Representative:
1. The AESC went over the reports of all the councils that sit under them at their first meeting.
G. Joshua Beverly, College of Science Representative:
1. The CSSC has discussed varying each of their meetings, so that sometimes they’d attend a presentation or tour the facilities on campus that pertain to the College of Sciences, such as the Donald P. Shiley BioScience Center on campus.
2. If you’d like to meet the College of Science constituents and talk about potential opportunities to progress in your desired career, come to the second floor of the Chemical Science Laboratory building on September 25.
It was moved and seconded to adjourn the meeting.
Vice President of University Affairs Morgan Chan adjourned the meeting at 4:45 PM.