SAN DIEGO STATE UNIVERSITY
A.S. CAMPUS LIFE COUNCIL MINUTES
December 2, 2016 – 3:30 PM
Council Chambers, Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union
I. CALL TO ORDER
Executive Vice President Leo Carillo called the meeting to order at 3:36 PM.
II. PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE
III. ROLL CALL
- Voting Members Present: Blaire Ward, Leo Carillo, Tyler Aguilar, Dominic Bilotti, Andrea Byrd, Vanessa Girard, Suraj Patel, Meghan Andrade, Michael Liu, Itzelt Santos, Jack Doheny, Jamie Miller, Daniel Matlock, Chris Thomas, Michaela Hurtienne, Megan Goodman, Lorena Acosta, Patty Masengale, Trevor Yarnall, Arnelle Sambile.
- Voting Members Absent: Vivian Lee, Kelsey Moss, Megan Dickson.
- Ex-Officios (non-voting) Present: Linh Phan, Christina Brown, Randy Timm.
- Ex-Officios (non-voting) Absent: Shelby Walker for Jenna Beuck.
- Visitors Present: Jennifer Esquivel-Parker.
IV. MODIFICATIONS TO AGENDA
It was moved and seconded to approve the agenda of December 2, 2015.
V. APPROVAL OF PREVIOUS MINUTES
It was moved and seconded to approve the previous minutes of October 28, 2015.
VI. PUBLIC COMMENT
Ellen Benecke, the new elections committee coordinator, introduced herself to the council.
VII. UNIVERSITY REPORTS AND PRESENTATIONS
- SDSU Vice President of Student Affairs Designee, Randy Timm:
- Apologized for being late. He was doing a study on gender neutral bathrooms on campus.
- Encouraged students to come out to midnight study break.
- The university is addressing the hate crime on campus and having discussion on safety within the community.
- A.S. Executive Director, Christina Brown:
- Reminded everyone to mention A.S. during their events because the majority of students are not aware that A.S hosts these events.
- Attended the Empowering A.S through Diversity event and she was very impressed with the great discussion.
- Indoor lounge will mainly be used for studying and socializing, not for events.
- Good luck on finals and have a relaxing break!
VIII. ITEMS FOR CONSIDERATION
- General Consent Agenda: (Action)
It was moved and seconded to approve the General Consent Agenda, as attached.
IX. REPORTS OF CAMPUS LIFE COUNCIL MEMBERS:
- Leo Carrillo, Executive Vice President:
- Leo is really pushing for student participation at the football game on Saturday.
- Encouraged everyone to try motivational videos for next semester to keep students informed of what is happening on campus.
- Congratulated everyone on a phenomenal job this semester!
- Blaire Ward, President:
- The big composite will be used for tabling and marketing effort.
- Please take the Princeton review survey!
- Booksharing will be installed in the SDSU Children’s Center and maybe the lounge.
- Thanked Jacob from the Daily Aztecs for coming to council meetings.
- Christy Samarkos is planning a meeting on the Campus Climate Survey. Let Blaire know if you are interested in attending it.
- Tyler Aguilar, Vice President of External Relations:
- Tyler is very proud that we had five officials on campus for one semester!
- CSSA will be in San Diego on January 22nd-24th, 2016.
- The California Secretary of State would like to incorporate his visit with one of the A.S Green lunch bag series.
- Sessions for California starts in January. Tyler and his team will be doing research on bills and breaking them down for student comprehension.
- Keep thoughts and prayers to the San Bernardino shooting.
- Dominic Bilotti, Vice President of Financial Affairs:
- Aztecs Rock Hunger collected 415,000 lbs. of food!
- Dom is very thankful to his team and everyone else who helped surpass the goal of 300,000 lbs.
- Aztecs Rock Hunger raised $6,800 for Economic Crisis Response Team.
- Encouraged everyone to come to the football game on Saturday and show some Aztec pride!
- Andrea Byrd, Vice President of University Affairs:
- University Affairs Board is broken up into focus groups.
- She will be hosting a waitlist interest group to collect feedback on the new system.
- Andrea is working on having lower electives corresponding to majors.
- Senior Vice President of Google and Pulitzer Prize winner will be coming next semester.
- Lorena Acosta, ASBOD Student-at-Large:
- Thank you everyone that RSVP’d to the holiday dinner.
- This Saturday is the Mountain West Championship at Qualcomm Stadium at 4:30pm!
- Patty Masengale, ASBOD Student-at-Large:
- Gave Arnelle and Itzelt a shout-out for hosting an incredible event!
- Encouraged everyone to go to Spring into Diversity next semester.
- Trevor Yarnall, ASBOD Student-at-Large:
- Let Trevor know if you need help planning events during finals.
- Aztec Student Union Board:
- Union Nights: Glow & Bowl on Thursday December 3, 2015 from 9-12pm at the Aztec Lanes.
- Recreation and Wellness Commission:
- [Destress Fest] will from December 7-10th at the Goldberg Courtyard.
- Campus Community Commission:
- Good Neighbor Community Clean-up will be on Sunday, December 6th from 9-12pm at the Goldberg Courtyard.
(Time Certain Adjournment 5:00 pm) It was moved and seconded to adjourn the meeting.
Executive Vice President Leo Carillo adjourned the meeting at 4:57 PM.
APPROVED BY: Leo Carrillo, Executive Vice President
PREPARED BY: Linh Phan, A.S. Government Secretary