OCTOBER 14, 2015 – COUNCIL CHAMBERS
CONRAD PREBYS AZTEC STUDENT UNION – 3:30 PM
A.S. CAMPUS LIFE COUNCIL MINUTES
I. CALL TO ORDER:
Executive Vice President Leo Carillo called the meeting to order at 3:30 PM.
II. PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE
III. ROLL CALL:
- Voting Members Present: Blaire Ward, Leo Carillo, Tyler Aguilar, Dominic Bilotti, Andrea Byrd, Vanessa Girard, Suraj Patel, Meghan Andrade, Michael Liu, Itzelt Santos, Jack Doheny, Vivian Lee, Megan Dickson, Jamie Miller, Daniel Matlock, Chris Thomas, Michaela Hurtienne, Megan Goodman, Lorena Acosta, Patty Masengale, Trevor Yarnall, Kelsey Moss.
- Voting Members Absent: Arnelle Sambile.
- Ex-Officios (non-voting) Present: Linh Phan, Christina Brown, Shelby Walker for Jenna Beuck, Randy Timm.
- Ex-Officios (non-voting) Absent: None.
- Visitors Present: Jordan Maharaj.
IV. MODIFICATIONS TO AGENDA:
It was moved and seconded to approve the agenda of October 14, 2015. MASENGALE/GOODMAN CARRIED
V. APPROVAL OF PREVIOUS MINUTES:
It was moved and seconded to approve the previous minutes of September 30, 2015. MATLOCK/LEE CARRIED
VI. PUBLIC COMMENT:
- Heather LaPerle, Campus Internship Coordinator, reported:
- Encouraged members to come to Career Services office and utilize all the services the school has to offer.
- Career fair is tomorrow! There will be over 120 representatives from companies looking for recruitments.
- The Aztec Mentor Program already has over 600 matches. The goal for this year is 1000.
VII. UNIVERSITY REPORTS AND PRESENTATIONS
- SDSU Vice President of Student Affairs Designee, Randy Timm:
- Congratulated everyone on doing a great job with their boards and commissions.
- The Students for Justice of Palestine hosted the first National Conference this weekend. He thanked Dan and Lynn and their staff on putting on this amazing conference.
- Briefly discussed about the hate crime on campus and reassured University Council members that the university is taking action on this issue.
- Encouraged members to invite friends to the Union on Halloween to decrease any potential risks.
- A.S. Executive Director, Christina Brown:
- Reported on the full-time staff leadership retreat.
- If you have not met with Christina, please do so. She would love to meet with all CLC members!
- Library Liason, Jessica Santos reported:
- The library purchased additional textbooks to put on course reserve for students.
- There is a new program called Build It program. This is a place for students to use new technologies, such as 3D printing.
- Judicial Affairs Update:
- Tabling requirement was due Friday, October 9th.
- Next Friday, October 23rd is when all bylaws amendments are due.
- November 20th is when all requirements are due.
- Reminded members to fill out excused absence forms when they cannot attend meetings otherwise there will be consequences.
VIII. ITEMS FOR CONSIDERATION:
- General Consent Agenda: (Action) It was moved and seconded to approve the General Consent Agenda, as attached. ANDRADE/HURTIENNE CARRIED
IX. REPORTS OF CAMPUS LIFE COUNCIL MEMBERS:
- Leo Carillo, Executive Vice President:
- Thanked everyone for the energy!
- Congratulated members on being so involved on campus, and not just within A.S!
- Leo is pushing for everyone to have their organization participate in Homecoming.
- Blaire Ward, President:
- By Thursday, student survey will be analyzed. Some fun facts the team has discovered are: College of Sciences has the most responses; people who responded have a 3.0+ GPA.
- Encouraged members to come to Pride Suite at 7pm on October 29th to meet speaker, David Meltzer, CEO of Sports 1 Marketing.
- Tyler Aguilar, Vice President of External Relations: None.
- Dominic Bilotti, Vice President of Financial Affairs:
- Showed Aztecs Rock Hunger promo video and different posters/fliers.
- There will be a thermometer of goal reaching for Aztecs Rock Hunger on digital signage with updates every week.
- Reminded everyone that when donate virtually, please keep “San Diego State University”.
- Challenged everyone to have 1 representative for the campaign and set a goal!
- Dom and his team will be doing walk arounds. Let Dom know if you would like them to come talk about Aztecs Rock Hunger at your organization!
- Gave a shout out to his team for working hard on Aztecs Rock Hunger campaign!
- Andrea Byrd, Vice President of University Affairs:
- Reminded everyone to RSVP if they are going to the University Leaders’ Reception.
- Thanked Sergio and Anthony for assisting with Senate Committees assignments.
- Challenged everyone to speak up before class about A.S and videotape themselves. Andrea will buy you a nice lunch if you complete the challenge.
- Encouraged members to go to next University Council meeting because California Speaker of the Assembly, Toni Atkins will be there.
- Lorena Acosta, ASBOD Student-at-Large:
- Meet A.S mentees will be on this Friday.
- Patty Masengale, ASBOD Student-at-Large:
- Spread Your Roots was a success! Thanked everyone for coming out and support ASUB!
- Patty is pushing for Greenfest to be an A.S event and not just ASUB and would like to collaborate with boards and commissions.
- Her commissions are doing great and she is very happy with their progress!
- Trevor Yarnall, ASBOD Student-at-Large:
- Trevor will have more information on a proposed beer garden later.
- Reminded everyone to be safe, especially at night time.
It was moved and seconded to adjourn the meeting. ACOSTA/MOSS CARRIED Executive Vice President Leo Carillo adjourned the meeting at 6:00 PM.