SEPTEMBER 2, 2015 – COUNCIL CHAMBERS
CONRAD PREBYS AZTEC STUDENT UNION – 3:30 PM
A.S. CAMPUS LIFE COUNCIL MINUTES
I. CALL TO ORDER:
Executive Vice President Leo Carillo called the meeting to order at 3:35 PM.
II. PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE
III. ROLL CALL:
- Voting Members Present: Blaire Ward, Leo Carillo, Tyler Aguilar, Dominic Bilotti, Andrea Byrd, Vanessa Girard, Suraj Patel, Meghan Andrade, Michael Liu, Itzelt Santos, Jack Doheny, Vivian Lee, Megan Dickson, Jamie Miller, Daniel Matlock, Chris Thomas, Arnelle Sambile, Michaela Hurtienne, Megan Goodman, Lorena Acosta, Patty Masengale, Trevor Yarnall
- Voting Members Absent: Kelsey Moss, Jenna Beuck
- Ex-Officios (non-voting) Present: Linh Phan, Paige Nulliner, Randy Timm, Christina Brown.
- Ex-Officios (non-voting) Absent: None.
- Visitors Present: None.
IV. MODIFICATIONS TO AGENDA:
It was moved and seconded to approve the agenda of September 2, 2015. DICKSON/ANDRADE CARRIED
V. APPROVAL OF PREVIOUS MINUTES:
VI. PUBLIC COMMENT:
VII. UNIVERSITY REPORTS AND PRESENTATIONS
- SDSU Vice President of Student Affairs Designee, Randy Timm:
- Aztec Nights have been very successful.
- Thanked Tyler for the campaign video that has reached over 3,000 view on Youtube.
- This Thursday, there will be an International Music Festival in the student union.
- All organizations on campus will need to set up bank accounts with A.S unless they’re a national organization. There will be a process to be exempt from it.
- Mentor Tutoring Program already has 100+ students signed up. The goal is to have 500+ students. The plan is to have 1 mentor per every 5 mentees.
- A.S. Executive Director, Christina Brown:
- Christina will make sure to have a flag in Council Chambers for next meeting.
- New furniture is being place in the union; Harvey Goodfriend Lounge is being renovated.
- We are in the process of making a student lounge for students. The goal is to have the space finished by spring semester.
- Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union Board Presentation:
- Vanessa and Jamie went over ASUB’s Mission Statement and Values and how all the events hosted in the student union will encompass these ideals.
- ASUB has 7 different subcommittees that offer a wide range of choices for everyone to get involved with.
- Get the Scoop will be on Thursday, September 10th, from 2-3pm. The purpose of this event is to help students learn more about ASUB and what it does for our campus.
- Homecoming week is from November 8th-14th. The theme will be “San Diego State of Mind”.
- March to the Arch will be at 12pm tomorrow from Hepner Hall to the union.
- The Center of Intercultural Relation will have a Welcome Mixer on Thursday, September 3rd, from 11:30-1:30pm.
- 7. Student Life and Leadership offers rooms for organizations and leadership workshops that students can take to obtain a leadership certificate or a minor.
- The student union is a campus living room.
- Fun fact: Terazzo flooring in Montezuma will never have to be replaced.
- Display boards will be put up around campus to help promote events.
- Currently ASUB is working on having a studio for musical purposes, more LED screens, charging stations around the union and Council Chambers’ Tree Mosaic.
VIII. ITEMS FOR CONSIDERATION:
- General Consent Agenda: (Action) It was moved and seconded to approve the General Consent Agenda, as attached. MATLOCK/MASENGALE CARRIED
IX. REPORTS OF CAMPUS LIFE COUNCIL MEMBERS:
- Leo Carillo, Executive Vice President:
- Reminded council members to be on time and to always represent Associated Student in the best light possible.
- Informed the members that their minutes will be due at 9am every Tuesday and please have them sent to email@example.com.
- Please share Blaire’s status about March the Arch and get as many participants as possible.
- Homecoming video will discussed at 3:30pm in Leo’s office this Friday. Please let Leo know if you are interested in being a part of it.
- Thanked everyone for a great CLC meeting today.
- Blaire Ward, President:
- Introduced Paige, A.S Chief of Staff, to give an announcement on designee positions.
- Please apply for Aztecs Mentor Program if you have not done that yet.
- Campus Survey is being pushed back with the goal of reaching 10% of student response.
- Please set up a meeting with any of the execs to have discussions about your board/commission’s vision and to make sure that they align with A.S’s mission.
- Blaire had a meeting with President Hirshman today to discuss what is going on campus.
- Congratulated Clayton for using the most inclusive language and least “uhms”. Blaire will buy Starbucks for whoever wins each meeting.
- Tyler Aguilar, Vice President of External Relations:
- Gave a shout out to Campus Community Commission and MarComm for their hard work.
- Lot clean up was extremely successful.
- Tyler is working on creating an SDSU App and researching what’s best to be included in the application.
- Dominic Bilotti, Vice President of Financial Affairs:
- Aztecs Rock Hunger’s theme and slogan are being worked on right now. The event will be from October 22nd until November 15th.
- Homecoming game will be on November 14th.
- Financial Affairs Committee will have its retreat at Mission Bay Aquatic Center.
- Andrea Byrd, Vice President of University Affairs:
- Proposals for Student Success Fee will be due on September 15th.
- There is an Entertainment Industry Initiative that will help student organizations to get celebrities to come to their events. If interested, please submit your proposal at calstate.edu/entertainment.
- There will be a Deans Panel on September 23rd at the UC meeting.
- There will be a discussion on October 7th at UC meeting about updates on waitlist system.
- Lorena Acosta, ASBOD Student-at-Large:
- SDC and ASUB, please email Lorena to work on bylaws.
- Patty Masengale, ASBOD Student-at-Large:
- Patty is very happy with all the hard work that Recreation and Wellness Commission has done.
- Trevor Yarnall, ASBOD Student-at-Large:
- Please have Student Support Commission and Campus Community Commission meet with him after meeting.
It was moved and seconded to adjourn the meeting. DOHENY/GIRARD CARRIED Executive Vice President Leo Carillo adjourned the meeting at 5:26 PM.