Executive Vice President Kevin Hancock called the meeting to order at 3:30 PM.
A. Voting Members Present: Kevin Hancock, Jamie Miller, Abby Kim, Samuel Beltran, Patty Masengale, Leo Carillo, Clayton Bishop, Kelsey Schroeder, Lorena Acosta, Kirk Sasaki, Tyler Aguilar, Grace Diaz, Jennifer Reyes, Jonathan Cole, Jacqueline Karczewski, Alex Padua, Corey Polant, Keagan Casey, Kyle Murphy, Marilyn Martinez
B. Voting Members Absent: Blaire Ward, Megan Goodman, Niveen Kryakos,
C. Ex-Officios (non-voting) Present: Christina Brown, Caryl Adams (for Randy Timm)
D. Ex-Officios (non-voting) Absent: Paige Nulliner, Clarice Mendoza
E. Visitors Present: George Schieck, Brian Thomas, John Kolek, Tim Ripke, Sergio Cisneros
It was moved and seconded to approve the agenda of October 15, 2014.
It was moved and seconded to approve the previous minutes of October 1, 2014.
A. SDSU Vice President of Student Affairs Designee, Caryl Adams (for Randy Timm) reported:
1. Student Leader Diversity Training is finishing up this week
2. One SDSU Community Reception is tomorrow night at 7PM in Montezuma theater featuring Cerebral Palsy survivor from Palestine who has the famous TED talk "I’ve got 99 problems but Palsy is just one" because its disability awareness week
B. A.S. Executive Director, Christina Brown reported:
1. Gender Neutral Restrooms in the Aztec Student Union are now available. They are located on each floor of the student union.
C. Viejas Arena/Open Air Theatre Presentation – John Kolek, Associate Executive Director, reported:
1. John introduced Tim Ripke, the Viejas Arena Assistant Director to the Council. He informed the group that the Arena has 16 full-time staff and approximately 250 part-time staff.
2. The Viejas Arena puts on between 100-13- events in a year. Last year, they did 117 events with about 150,000 in attendance total. This year’s event will probably reach 500,000 in attendance.
3. There are 17 Aztec Men’s basketball games played in the Arena and last year we had 211,000 in attendance. Seat occupancy at the Arena is 12,414 for basketball and 13,000 for concerts.
4. At the Cal Coast Credit Union Open Air Theatre, there are 14 shows scheduled, compared to 10 from last year.
D. A.S. Chief of Staff – Jon Davidi, Chief-of-Staff, reported:
1. The First-Year Leadership Initiative (FLI) has currently has 30 students. We will have them mentor with ASCLC or ASUC leaders to discuss leadership with them. We hope to have it extend to next semester, if possible.
E. Judicial Affairs Council – Sergio Cisneros, Justice, reported:
1. Remember that the tabling requirement was due last week. The A.S. office front desk has blank copies of the requirement sheet that you need to have signed off to complete the tabling requirement.
2. The next deadline for the cultural event and student organization/College Council meeting is due on November 21.
A. General Consent Agenda: (Action)
It was moved and seconded to separate on the Aztec Student Union Board minutes, dated 10/16/14, Action item A5 and A7 from the rest of the General Consent Agenda.
It was moved and seconded to approve the General Consent Agenda, as attached except the Aztec Student Union Board minutes, dated 10/16/14, Action item A5 and A7 separated above.
There was discussion regarding the Graduate Philosophy Club and Pi Sigma Tau’s funding request to the ASUB Campus Program Funding (CPF). George Schieck and Brian Thomas were present. Jacqueline Karczewski and Corey Polant yielded time to George and Brian to speak.
Question was called to end the discussion.
AGUILAR/MURPHY CARRIED (17-1-0)
It was moved and seconded to approve the 10/16/14 ASUB minutes, Action A5.
AGUILAR/ACOSTA CARRIED (11-7-0)
It was moved and seconded to approve the 10/16/14 ASUB minutes, Action A7.
ACOSTA/SASAKI CARRIED (11-7-0)
It was moved and seconded to adjourn the meeting.
Executive Vice President Kevin Hancock adjourned the meeting at 5:30 PM.