Executive Vice President Becca Cohen called the meeting to order at 3:33 PM.
A. Voting Members Present: Becca Cohen, Ezinne Ofeogbu, Jacqueline Karczewski, Cassie Zimmerman, Megan Goodman, Gabrielle Gray, Hassan Abdinur, Grace Diaz, Dara Majdi, Kelsey Schroeder, Tyler Aguilar, Jordan Wells, Michelle Ong, Corey Polant, Tianna Williams, Josh Garman, Kevin Hancock, Josh Morse, Javier Gomez, Mariah Kelly, Morgan Chan.
B. Voting Members Absent: Alyssa Carbajal, Washington Navarrete.
C. Ex-Officios (non-voting) Present: Clarice Mendoza.
D. Ex-Officios (non-voting) Absent: Christina Brown, Dr. Timothy Quinnan.
E. Visitors Present: Jennifer Esquivel-Parker, Kevin Yabes, Nick Serrano, Nadir Bouhmouch, Betsy Galchutt.
It was moved and seconded to approve the agenda of March 12, 2014.
Becca Cohen added a time certain at 5 PM for the K.O. Dance Team’s presentation as a friendly amendment.
The agenda was approved as amended.
It was moved and seconded to approve the previous minutes of February 26, 2014.
A. Student, Nadir Bouhmouch reported:
1. The Jewish Voice for Peace and U.S. Campaign for the Academic and Cultural Boycott of Israel have written letters to Associated Students of SDSU about the occupation of apartheid in Israel, its violation of International Law, and the endorsement of SDSU organizations for these letters. There will be a screening of a film directed by Guy Davidi, hosted by Students for Justice in Palestine, about the ongoing non-violent resistance within Palestine.
A. SDSU Vice President of Student Affairs Designee, Dr. Tim Quinnan: None.
A.S. Executive Director Designee, Jennifer Esquivel-Parker reported:B.
1. Next Monday is the beginning of A.S. elections for next year’s leaders!
2. Candidate statements are online on the A.S. website.
3. A.S. needs volunteers for Explore SDSU this Saturday.
4. Applications for appointed seats are due on Tuesday, April 8 in the Associated Students Office at 4:30 PM. The official roster for next year’s leaders will be finalized on April 29.
A. General Consent Agenda: (Action)
It was moved and seconded to approve the General Consent Agenda, as attached.
B. Program Funding: (Action)
It was moved and seconded to approve the program funding for the Students for Justice in Palestine’s 5th Annual Palestine Awareness Month programming, as attached.
It was moved and seconded to approve the program funding for the Marine and Ecology and Biology Student Association’s Coastal and Marine Institute and Laboratory event, as attached.
AGUILAR/ABDUNIR CARRIED (21-0-1)
It was moved and seconded to approve the program funding for the K.O. Hip Hop Dance Team Show, as attached.
A. Becca Cohen, Executive Vice President:
1. Welcome to Campus Life Council, Eddie Iing!
2. Thank you to everyone who helped out at Aztecs Unite @ the Union Day last week!
3. Remember to send in your nominations for the Aztec Achievement Awards by next Wednesday.
4. Becca will be having an Aztec Nights meeting for the management team soon. Send any recommendations you have to Becca.
5. Determine your commission’s learning outcomes and consolidate them to prep your commission for next year’s incoming leaders.
B. Josh Morse, President:
1. Attend the open forums for the candidates for the Dean of the College of Business.
2. The final open forum for the third Provost candidate, Chukuka Enwemeka, the current Dean of the College of Health Sciences for the University of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, will be next Tuesday, March 18 from 3:45-4:45 PM in the Aztec Student Union Theatre.
3. The Student Success Fee has been forwarded to the CSU Chancellor’s Office by President Hirshman.
4. The past weekend was amazing for our university and for Associated Students. Thank you to all who made it all happen!
C. Javier Gomez, Vice President of External Relations:
1. External Relations Board will be tabling to promote the Made in the CSU campaign.
2. Applications are available for the Student Trustee position on the Board of Trustees for the CSU. It would be awesome to have a San Diego State student fill this position.
3. The Good Neighbor Program will be meeting soon to talk about canvassing in the near future.
4. CSSA San Diego State will be from April 12 to 14.
5. An advocacy clinic for all organizations will be on April 12.
6. The University Senate has approved the creation of the Honor’s College.
7. Don’t forget to promote the Event of the Week, which is the softball game against Long Beach State at the SDSU Softball Stadium on Friday, March 14 at 6 PM.
D. Mariah Kelly, Vice President of Financial Affairs:
1. Conversations are being conducted about the granting of Campus Program Funding allocations and the process of each requests’ approval.
2. The Financial Affairs Committee is currently amidst its annual budgeting process. Send any of your questions to Mariah.
E. Morgan Chan, Vice President of University Affairs:
1. The University Affairs Board has been making their own learning outcomes at the past few meetings. Check out the "5 Safety Tips" graphic! It will soon be on the digital displays and printed copies will be sent to the residence halls and other student areas for promotion.
2. Academic Affairs Council has approved their learning outcomes for all the college councils. They will be incorporated into each councils’ bylaws
3. All the college councils have scheduled their open forums. Be sure to attend your own and encourage your commission members to attend as well! Ask Morgan for the schedule.
4. 16,406 high school seniors were admitted to SDSU for the fall 2014 semester. The average GPA of admitted students was 3.84, the average SAT score was 1161 (comprised of only the mathematics score and the reading score), and the average ACT score was 25.8. It is important to recognize that the quality of students applying to our university is rising.
It was moved and seconded to adjourn the meeting.
Executive Vice President Becca Cohen adjourned the meeting at 5:19 PM.