Executive Vice President Becca Cohen called the meeting to order at 4:34 PM.
A. Voting Members Present: Becca Cohen, Ezinne Ofeogbu, Jacqueline Karczewski, Cassie Zimmerman, Megan Goodman, Gabrielle Gray, Alyssa Carbajal, Hassan Abdinur, Grace Diaz, Dara Majdi, Kelsey Schroeder, Jordan Wells, Michelle Ong, Corey Polant, Tianna Williams, Josh Garman, Kevin Hancock, Josh Morse, Javier Gomez, Mariah Kelly, Morgan Chan.
B. Voting Members Absent: Tyler Aguilar, Washington Navarrete.
C. Ex-Officios (non-voting) Present: Christina Brown, Dr. Timothy Quinnan, Clarice Mendoza.
D. Ex-Officios (non-voting) Absent: None.
E. Visitors Present:
It was moved and seconded to approve the agenda of February 12, 2014.
It was moved and seconded to approve the previous minutes of January 29, 2014.
A. Student, Nadir Bouhmouch reported:
1. Nadir spoke about the Resolution in Support of Divestment for the Human Rights of the People of Palestine sent to University Affairs Board for approval. It is a resolution in effort of pulling investments the Campanile Foundation is making in order to protect the people of Palestine. Please contact Nadir for more information.
A. SDSU Vice President of Student Affairs Designee, Dr. Tim Quinnan reported:
1. The death of student, Tommy Reverand, is somber news to the SDSU community. Tommy’s parents have been notified and will be on campus to collect his belongings. If you have any pictures or anything in memorial to Tommy, please send them in for his family.
B. A.S. Executive Director, Christina Brown reported:
1. The Starbucks and the Market at the Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union are now open.
2. Christina has been working with Jen on the event planning for Friday, March 7 of Grand Dedication Week, which will feature the official ribbon-cutting event of the Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union, a community open house, and a Legacy of Leadership Gala in Montezuma Hall in the evening. It has been planned that all members of the four councils attend the Gala, upon the sponsorships that alumni grant when buying their own tickets to the Gala.
3. If you have any questions about the Union and its features, please let Christina or Becca know. Questions will be addressed at Facilities Committee.
C. Commuter Student Update – Student Support Commissioner, Corey Polant, and Assistant Coordinator of Casa Azteca, Melissa Gonzalez, reported:
1. Corey and Melissa have a presentation on the Commuter Student Resource Center and the Commuter Student Board, providing the Campus Life Council members with a background on the outreach effort by Student Affairs to commuter students at SDSU. The problems that these students face were listed and the mission and charge of the strategic planning group for Commuter Student Success were shared with the members as well. Students are welcome to treat the Commuter Student Resource Center their "home base."
A. General Consent Agenda: (Action)
It was moved and seconded to approve the General Consent Agenda, as attached.
A. Becca Cohen, Executive Vice President:
1. Thank you to everyone who attended retreat!
2. Becca will be scheduling meetings with each of the commissions in the upcoming weeks.
3. Please remember to ask your committees to nominate an A.S. Leader of the Month.
4. There are openings on Facilities Board. Please encourage any friends interested in getting involved with Associated Students to apply to be on Facilities Board.
5. As representatives and commissioners of your council, ask yourself this concerning your commission: where do you see your commission going in the future?
B. Josh Morse, President:
1. Attend the Student Success Fee forums and have your voice counted! The forums have been going well.
2. The Provost and College of Business of Dean searches has been going on over the past few weeks. Skype interviews have been conducted to narrow down the candidates.
C. Javier Gomez, Vice President of External Relations:
1. The newest 30 second spot commercial for SDSU has been launched. Check the advertisement out at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dujrqpYWQjA. Advertisements like this are important in getting SDSU’s named out on a national scale to encourage high school students nationwide to apply to SDSU. A lot of traffic has been coming to SDSU’s website after the launching of this commercial. In addition, Javier’s shadow can be seen in the end.
2. There is still one open forum left for the Chief of Police candidates: Manuel Guaderrama, Captain, Northwestern Division, San Diego Police Department – Thursday, February 13, 2014, from 1:00 to 1:45 p.m. in Love Library, Room 430/431.
3. Javier has been working on Community Day of Grand Dedication Week with Jen and Dylan from ASUB.
4. CSSA Chico is next weekend. Javier will be reporting on the activity that went on at the next Campus Life Council meeting.
5. Kevin Faulconer is our new mayor! He was an Executive Vice President and A.S. President more than ten years ago at SDSU.
D. Morgan Chan, Vice President of University Affairs:
1. At University Council last week, the members discussed their goals and feedback about outreaching to the students of their college.
2. As commissioners and representatives of this semester, make it your goal to form next year’s leaders.
3. Senate committees still need to fill their student seats. Learn how to apply from Morgan.
4. University Affairs Board has had their first and second reading of the Resolution in Support of Divestment for the Human Rights of the People of Palestine. At their next meeting, the Board will take action on the Resolution.
5. Academic Affairs Committee and University Council will be reviewing their learning outcomes and forming their college’s themes and values. They have been challenged to create three reasons as to why students should join their college councils.
E. Dara Majdi, Aztec Student Union Board Commissioner:
1. Open Mic Night: Thurs., 2/13 from 5-7 PM in front of Maya and Olmeca Residence Halls.
2. Dance Series – Learn How to "Salsa Dance": Thurs., 2/13 from 6-8 PM in Templo Mayor on the second floor of the Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union.
F. Jordan Wells, Sustainability Commissioner:
1. Green Lunch Bag Series – Environmental Careers: Wed., 2/19 from 12-2 PM in Scripps Cottage.
It was moved and seconded to adjourn the meeting.
Executive Vice President Becca Cohen adjourned the meeting at 6:35 PM.