Executive Vice President Becca Cohen called the meeting to order at 3:32 PM.
A. Voting Members Present: Becca Cohen, Marilyn Martinez, Jacqueline Karczewski, Cassie Zimmerman, Gabrielle Gray, Alyssa Carbajal, Hassan Abdinur, Grace Diaz, Gabriela Leverette, Dara Majdi, Kelsey Schroeder, Tyler Aguilar, Jordan Wells, Michelle Ong, Corey Polant, Tianna Williams, Josh Morse, Morgan Chan, Mariah Kelly
B. Voting Members Absent: Javier Gomez
C. Ex-Officios (non-voting) Present: Christina Brown, Clarice Mendoza, Washington Navarrete, Josh Garman, Dr. Timothy Quinnan
D. Ex-Officios (non-voting) Absent: None.
E. Visitors Present: Lynn Cacha, Sean Guardian, Kevin Yabes, Cindy Lopez, Diane Barragan, Daphney Bitanga, Lorena Nava Ruggero
It was moved and seconded to approve the agenda of September 18, 2013.
Josh Morse made a friendly amendment to add a time certain adjournment at 5:15 PM.
The agenda was approved as amended.
It was moved and seconded to approve the previous minutes of September 4, 2013.
A. Diane Barragan, SDSU Alumni Association Chapter Coordinator, reported:
1. The Alumni Association is launching the Aztec Mentor Program this semester, designed for seniors to meet with an SDSU alumnus who will serve as a mentor and provide the student with exposure to professional advice and other career-related resources. Register online at https://sdsu-csm.symplicity.com/mentors/.
B. Hassan Abdinur, Campus Community Representative, reported:
1. An article was written about Ghassan Zakaria, an Arabic-language instructor at SDSU, in the Aztec, about an exercise he did in class that caused complaints. Hassan explained that the map was not meant to be a political statement. A resolution is being drafted with the University Affairs Board, to properly address similar issues like this in the future.
A. SDSU Vice President of Student Affairs Designee, Dr. Tim Quinnan reported:
1. 220 students have enrolled in the Leader’s Certificate Program.Dr. Quinnan would like students to help him plan the Leadership Summit next year. Details such as keynote speakers and a theme still need to be determined.Student Life and Leadership is working on the establishment of an LGBT coordinator.
B. Judicial Affairs Council Update – Chief Justice, Sean Guardian reported:
1. Council members: be sure to complete all your requirements in order to be in good standing in terms of attendance.There are three positions available for A.S. Government: Board of Director Student-at-Large, Sustainability Commissioner, and Elections Coordinator. Pick up an application at the Government Affairs Office.
C. Aztec Student Union Update – Aztec Student Union Director, Lynn Cacha reported:
1. The Aztec Student Union is near completion and Lynn informed the Campus Life Council about the Union’s important facts, progress, and features.
D. Marketing and Communication Committee’s Projects Update – MarCom Co-Chairs, Robby Rosenthal and Bree Lutjens reported:
1. Robby and Bree made a presentation to Campus Life Council about MarCom’s purpose, goals and projects for the year. Ultimately, the committee will be focusing on how to effectively market the A.S. brand.
E. Aztec Student Union Board’s Goals Update – ASUB Commissioner and ASUB Representative, Dara Majdi and Marilyn Martinez reported:
1. ASUB is working on a presentation for all the boards and committees, and while it is still a work in progress, the PowerPoint was presented to Campus Life Council. Its purpose is to educate the student body about ASUB, all its different committees, and its new goals and features.
A. General Consent Agenda: (Action)
It was moved and seconded to approve the General Consent Agenda, except the 9/4 Sustainability/Green Love Commission Minutes, as attached.
B. It was moved and seconded to approve the 9/4 Sustainability/Green Love Commission Minutes, as attached.
A. Becca Cohen, Executive Vice President:
1. Meet Your Reps night is tonight! Get excited! This is a great chance for freshman to learn about A.S. and ask questions.
2. The football game against Oregon State is this Saturday at the Q. Hope to see you all there supporting our team!
B. Josh Morse, President:
1. Welcome to all the families that are here for Family Weekend!
2. 3,000 free t-shirts will be given out to the first 3,000 students that attend the game this Saturday. Everyone will be wearing black, so show your support!
C. Mariah Kelly, Vice President of Financial Affairs:
1. The Financial Affairs Committee has just been filled.
2. Aztecs Rock Hunger is next month! This philanthropy is very important to not only the working class poor, elderly, and veteran populations of San Diego, but also to our university, giving us a chance to give back and take care of our community. That is why the university is so aggressive in achieving their goals with this fundraiser. Our 2013 goal is 150,000 pounds of food.
D. Morgan Chan, Vice President of University Affairs:
1. University Council had their first meeting last week. The Council talked about presentations they’d like to have throughout the year that would improve their roles as representatives of their college councils. All of the colleges are also working on college mixers for students within one college to get to know each other.
2. University Affairs Board is working on addressing issues, questions, and concerns about the University through the Your Voice Matters program.
3. The Academic Affairs Council discussed a possible joint community service project in the future that would benefit the community.
E. Washington Navarrete, Board of Director Student-at-Large:
1. The GreenFest Executive Committee still has a Vice Chair position available.
F. Kelsey Schroeder, Community Service Commissioner:
1. Met with Andrea Rollins, Chief of Staff to President Hirshman, to discuss ways the Community Service Commission can get more involved on campus.
G. Hassan Abdinur, Campus Community Representative:
1. The Campus Community Commission had its first meeting last week. Members talked about their goals and mission for the year and what they can do to ensure campus safety.
H. Jordan Wells, Sustainability Commissioner:
1. The first Green Lunch Bag Series is coming up.
2. Help out the Sustainability Commission as they participate in CA Coastal Clean-up Day this Saturday from 9 AM to noon. Meet by the Mission Bay Aquatic Center.
3. Sustainability Representative application is due September 27 at 4 PM to the Government Affairs Office in the Parma Payne Goodall Alumni Center.
I. Dara Majdi, Aztec Student Union Board Commissioner:
1. We are moving forward with the planning of the Student Union "Welcome HOME Week!
2. "Headphone Disco on September 19 at 9 PM in Peterson Gym.
3. Screen on the Green on September 21 at 9 PM on the Aztec Green.
3. Cooking with SDSU Chefs on September 19 at 12 PM by the flagpole on Campanile Walkway.
J. Christina Brown, Executive Director:
1. All commissions and boards are off to a great start! Please feel free to contact the executive officers, Jen, or Christina if you need any help or have any questions.
It was moved and seconded to adjourn the meeting.
Executive Vice President Becca Cohen adjourned the meeting at 5:05 PM.