Associated Students | San Diego State University
Monday, December 6, 2021 - 4:30pm
Council Chambers, Aztec Student Union
I. CALL TO ORDER
A.S. President Ashley Tejada called the meeting to order at 4:30 p.m.
II. ROLL CALL
- Voting Members Present: Ashley Tejada, Karina Esteban, Shawki Moore, Austin Barber, Jennifer Schenkenfelder, Beth Bridges, Alexia Oduro, Simran Jain, Ari Weizman, Stephen Jackson, Dr. Aniesha Mitchell (for Dr. J. Luke Wood)
- Voting Members Absent: Margot Ermer, Dr. J. Luke Wood, Jessica Rentto
- Non-Voting Members Present: Janice Dils
- Non-Voting Members Absent: Christina Brown, Christy Samarkos, Dr. Andrea Dooley
- Guests: Grace deVega, Meena Alexander, Patty Rea
III. APPROVAL OF THE AGENDA:
It was moved and seconded to approve the agenda for December 6, 2021.
WEIZMAN/BRIDGES CARRIED (9-0-0)
IV. APPROVAL OF PREVIOUS MINUTES:
It was moved and seconded to approve the previous meeting minutes of the November 29, 2021 ASBOD meeting.
ODURO/JAIN CARRIED (9-0-0)
V. PUBLIC COMMENT:
VI. UNIVERSITY REPORTS AND PRESENTATIONS
- Business and Financial Affairs Designee: No report.
- University President’s Designee: Dr. Aniesha Mitchell reported on the following:
- Student Affairs and Campus Diversity (SA+CD) has an agreement with Bank of America.
VII. ITEMS FOR CONSIDERATION
- General Consent Agenda (Action)
It was moved and seconded to approve the General Consent Agenda, which includes the 11/17 Marketing & Communication Committee minutes,
WEIZMAN/SCHENKENFELDER CARRIED (9-0-0)
- General Consent Report (Information)
The General Consent Report was reviewed.
- Proposed Amendments to the A.S. Bylaws, Codes, and Charters (Action) - Grace deVega, A.S. Chief Justice (Time Certain 4:15 p.m.)
- #BA F21-01 College of Engineering Student Council
- #BA F21-02 ASBOD - Specific Board Member Duties
- #BA F21-03 ASUC, ASCLC, and ASJAC Member Responsibilities
- #BA F21-04 ASJAC Jurisdiction
Grace reviewed the proposed amendments. The bylaw amendments will be approved at the 12/6 BOD meeting.
- Aztec Culture Education Training Module Review (Information) - Grace deVega, A.S. Chief Justice (Time Certain, immediately after Item C.)
Grace reviewed the Aztec Culture Education training module for the A.S. Board of Directors feedback prior to the next Aztec Culture Education Committee meeting.
- SDSU Principles of Community Statement Review (Action) (Immediately following Item D.)
Ashley and the A.S. Board of Directors members reviewed and finalized the SDSU Principles of Community in preparation for the University Senate meeting.
It was moved and seconded to approve the proposed SDSU Community of Principles statement as amended.
MOORE/ODURO CARRIED (11-0-0)
VIII. CLOSED SESSION (Closed to Non-Members)
IX. BOARD OF DIRECTORS COMMITTEE REPORTS
- Audit Committee: None.
- Facilities Committee: None.
- Financial Affairs Committee (FAC): None.
- Marketing and Communications Committee: None.
X. EXECUTIVE REPORTS:
- President: Ashley Tejada reported on the following:
- Attended the following meetings: Honorary Degree Committee and the Senate Executive Committee.
- Working with the Graduate Student Association relating to graduate student life and programming.
- Next week’s All Council will be at 3:30 p.m. followed by an end of year celebration off campus.
- Executive Vice President: Karina Esteban reported on the following:
- This week is Your Mental Health Matters week. There is a panel event tomorrow, Tuesday, November 30, at 3 p.m. in Templo Mayor. This Thursday, there is a yoga class at the Aztec Recreation Center (ARC) at 6:30 p.m. We will be tabling all week long and distributing journals at the Union and at Hepner Hall.
- Vice President of External Relations: Shawki Moore reported on the following:
- The Cocoa and Conversation event is on Thursday, Dec. 2, 2:30-3:30 p.m. We will have five non-profit organizations attending.
- Vice President of Financial Affairs: Austin Barber reported on the following:
- Aztecs Rock Hunger (ARH) announcement is on Monday, December 6, at 10 a.m. in the Courtyard.
- Working on the Financial Affairs Committee (FAC) website changes.
- Working and analyzing research regarding engagement and travel funding in FAC.
- There is an A.S. Audit Committee meeting this Friday at 9 a.m.
- Vice President of University Affairs: No report.
- Executive Director: Christina Brown reported on the following:
- Thank you to Simran Jain for sitting in on the SDSU Sustainability Director interviews.
- Kudos to the Your Mental Health Matters Committee for all the hard work and planning for this week’s events.
- The last ASBOD meeting is next Monday, 12/6 and we will have a lot of items to review including the budget, bylaw amendment approvals, the BOD/Councils meeting schedule and A.S. Elections schedule for spring 2022. Patty Rea will also be present to review an HR item.
XI. REPORTS OF BOARD OF DIRECTORS MEMBERS:
- Ari Weizman reported updates to the Anti-Semitism taskforce and is assisting Austin with FAC updates on the website.
- Alexia (Lex-O) Oduro reported that the Colleges of Arts and Letters, Education, and Professional Studies and Fine Arts (PSFA) are having a Dean event. PSFA Council is hosting a Donuts with the Dean event and are planning to have alumni speak on campus due to the approval of the Student Success Fee (SSF) fund approval. Presented to All Council with David Gamble.
- Beth reported that for Your Mental Health Matters week, she is assisting with developing a video on what to expect from SDSU Counseling & Psychological Services (C&PS) on campus. If you are interested in reviewing the script, please contact me.
- Simran reported that the Sustainability Strategic Plan activities are updating the principles and is sitting on the SDSU Sustainability Director interviews this week. Met with David Fuhriman, the Chief Financial Officer of The Campanile Foundation.
It was moved and seconded to adjourn the meeting at 6:02 p.m.
ODURO/WEIZMAN CARRIED (8-0-0)