Monday, December 7, 2015 – 4:00 PM Council Chambers
Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union
I. CALL TO ORDER
A.S. President, Blaire Ward called the meeting to order at 4:02 PM in the Council Chambers at the Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union.
II. ROLL CALL
- Voting Members Present: Blaire Ward, Leo Carrillo, Tyler Aguilar, Dominic Bilotti, Andrea Byrd, Lorena Acosta, Sergio Cisneros, Anthony Lee, Jessica Rentto, Trevor Yarnall, Patty Masengale, Keagan Casey.
- Voting Members Absent: Christy Samarkos.
- Non-Voting Members Present: Christina Brown, Linh Phan.
- Non-Voting Members Absent: None.
- Visitors: Chloe Sension, Jennifer Esquivel-Parker, Carlos Careaga, Joshua Vaughn, Zackary Albrecht, Kyle Zive, Patty Rea.
III. APPROVAL OF AGENDA
It was moved and seconded to approve the agenda for today’s meeting. ACOSTA/MASENGALE
It was moved and seconded to change item D. Approval of Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union Student Lounge Project under Items for Consideration from an action item to an information item. BILOTTI/BYRD CARRIED, (11-0-0)
It was moved and seconded to add Associated Students Employee Compensation as an action item in Closed Session with a time certain at 5PM. BILOTTI/AGUILAR CARRIED, (11-0-0)
The agenda was approved as amended.
IV. APPROVAL OF PREVIOUS MINUTES
It was moved and seconded to approve the Board of Directors meeting minutes of 11/30/15, as attached. LEE/YARNALL CARRIED
V. PUBLIC COMMENT
Sarah Bentley from the Economic Crisis Response Team discussed the proposal of transitioning the Economic Crisis Response Team to A.S under Student Support Commission.
VI. UNIVERSITY REPORTS AND PRESENTATIONS
- Business and Financial Affairs Designee: Jessica Rentto, Vice President of Business and Financial Affairs Designee, reported on the following:
- Get Together, Give Back is this Thursday at 10am in Montezuma Hall.
- University President’s Designee: None.
VII. ITEMS FOR CONSIDERATION
- General Consent Agenda (Action): It was moved and seconded to approve the General Consent Agenda, as attached. LEE/YARNALL CARRIED
- General Consent Report (Information): The general consent report was reviewed. It was moved and seconded to separate out the A.S University Council Representatives Seat Allocation for the 2016 Elections from the Judicial Affairs Council minutes of 12/07/15. MASENGALE/BYRD CARRIED It was moved and seconded to approve the revised A.S University Council Representatives Seat Allocation for the 2016 Elections, as attached. MASENGALE/YARNALL CARRIED
- First Quarter Financial Report (Information): Dominic Bilotti, Associated Students Vice President of Financial Affairs, reviewed the First Quarter Financial Report and answered any questions.
- Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union Student Lounge Project (Information): Josh Vaughn, Vice Chair of Facilities Committee, reviewed the Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union Student Lounge Project and answered questions.
- Selection of CFAC voting members (Action): It was determined a vote was not necessary because none of the seats will be vacant next semester.
- Proposed Bylaw Amendments (Action):
- #BA F15-03 College of Arts and Letters College Council
- #BA F15-04 Legislative Procedures
- #BA F15-05 University Affairs Board
- #BA F15-06 Commuter Student Board
- #BA F15-07 Student Support Commission
- #BA F15-08 External Relations Board
- #BA F15-09 Community Service Commission
- #BA F15-10 SDSU Children’s Center Board
- #BA F15-11 Campus Community Commission
- #BA F15-12 Eligibility
- #BA F15-13 Aztec Student Union Board
It was moved and seconded to approve the proposed bylaw amendments. LEE/CASEY
Amendments were made to #BA F15-13 Aztec Student Union Board.
The proposed amendments to the bylaws, charters and codes were approved as amended.
VIII. CLOSED SESSION (Closed to Non-Members):
It was moved and seconded to move into closed session. MASENGALE/CASEY CARRIED
Patty Rea, Associated Students Human Resources Director, reviewed the A.S full-time employee salary increases; the part-time employee salary increases and the salary schedule update.
It was moved and seconded to approve the A.S compensation increase. YARNALL/BYRD CARRIED
It was moved and seconded to move out of closed session. MASENGALE/BILOTTI CARRIED
IX. BOARD OF DIRECTORS COMMITTEE REPORTS
- Audit Committee: March 18th is the next Audit Committee meeting.
- Facilities Board: Goal for spring is to have everyone involved in a project.
- Financial Affairs Committee: There is an additional $22,000 in funding because of an increase in enrollment. Financial Affairs Committee will be defining budgets for Boards and Committees.
- Marketing and Communications Committee: The A.S calendar is in its final stage. The committee is working on scheduling the spring welcome back video
X. EXECUTIVE REPORTS
- President: Blaire Ward reported on the following:
- Clayton and Blaire are working on a A.S. FAQ flyer.
- Andrea and Blaire will be hosting a workshop on how to table and give an elevator speech about A.S.
- Encouraged everyone to take the Princeton review. It ends on February 15th.
- If you know anyone who is interested in running for A.S election, mentor them.
- Updated Board of Directors on MSA demands.
- Executive Vice President: Leo Carrillo reported on the following:
- Thank you to everyone for coming to the game!
- Library will be open 24/7 from December 9th-17th.
- Imperial Valley Campus shared ideas for collaboration next semester.
- Wished everyone luck on finals!
- Vice President of External Relations: Tyler Aguilar reported on the following:
- Encouraged everyone to register to vote now!
- Vice President of Financial Affairs: Dominic Bilotti reported on the following:
- Aztecs Rock Hunger beat last year’s record! 400,000 pounds was collected this time!
- Vice President of University Affairs: Andrea Byrd reported on the following:
- Updated everyone on University Affairs Board’s progress.
- Attended Anthropology class that studied A.S. and got feedback on how to better promote to students. One of the results is to increase marketing on west side of campus.
- Executive Director: Christina Brown reported on the following:
- Congratulated everyone on an amazing semester. If anyone is here during break, please come by and visit.
XI. REPORTS OF BOARD OF DIRECTORS:
- Trevor Yarnall reported on the following:
- He still needs to find a time to meet with Patty and James to work on beer garden.
- Patty Masengale reported on the following:
- There will be a fashion show on ENS field before the Greenfest concert.
- Encouraged everyone to sign up for Aztecs Dance Marathon.
- Keagan Casey reported on the following:
- Informed everyone that there will be a Supreme Court ruling on affirmative action soon.
The meeting was adjourned at 6:43 PM. CARILLO/YARNALL CARRIED