SKIP TO CONTENT   ACCESSIBILITY  

Associated Students


A.S. Board of Directors

Meeting Minutes
Associated Students | San Diego State University


Monday, October 26, 2015 – 3:00 PM

Council Chambers • Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union

I. CALL TO ORDER

A.S. President, Blaire Ward called the meeting to order at 4:07 PM in the Council Chambers at the Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union.

 

II. ROLL CALL

 

  1. Voting Members Present: Blaire Ward, Leo Carrillo, Tyler Aguilar, Dominic Bilotti, Andrea Byrd, Lorena Acosta, Keagan Casey, Sergio Cisneros, Anthony Lee, Patty Masengale, Trevor Yarnall.
  2. Voting Members Absent: None.
  3. Non-Voting Members Present:, Christina Brown, Jessica Rentto, Christy Samarkos, Jennifer Esquivel-Parker for Linh Phan.
  4. Non-Voting Members Absent: Linh Phan.
  5. Visitors: Clayton Bishop, Mark Zakrzewski.

 

III. APPROVAL OF AGENDA

It was moved and seconded to approve the agenda for today’s meeting.   ACOSTA/AGUILAR

It was moved to add Action Item E. Bylaw amendment process as a friendly amendment without any objections.

The agenda was approved as amended.   CARRIED

 

IV. APPROVAL OF PREVIOUS MINUTES

It was moved and seconded to approve the Board of Directors meeting minutes of 10/12/15, as attached.  YARNALL/LEE   CARRIED

 

 

V. PUBLIC COMMENT: None.

 

VI. UNIVERSITY REPORTS AND PRESENTATIONS:

  1.  Business and Financial Affairs Designee, Jessica Rentto:
    1. Explained the status of CFA and union negotiations
  2. University President’s Designee, Christy Samarkos:
    1. Pride Center and Women’s Resource Center are coming together, and are on track for grand opening in spring.
    2. Please attend the upcoming Jacqueline Friedman event from 3:30-5:30 in the Union.
    3. ECRT putting process into place to assist students in financial crisis and website up. Students go to website to discretely request assistance.
  3. Student Survey Presentation: Blaire reviewed the results of the student survey.

 

VII. ITEMS FOR CONSIDERATION:

 

  1. General Consent Agenda (Action): It was moved and seconded to approve the General Consent Agenda, as attached.   LEE/BYRD   CARRIED
  2. General Consent Report (Information): The general consent report was reviewed.
  3. Recreation Field Budget Proposal (Action): It was moved and seconded to approve the Recreational Field Budget Proposal, as attached. Mark Zakrzewski, Aztec Recreation Director, was present to answer any questions from the members.   CASEY/YARNALL   CARRIED
  4. Elections Code Amendment (Information): Changes to the Elections Code and Section 91 of Bylaws were discussed.
  5. Review bylaw amendment ad process (Action): It was moved and seconded to advertise the upcoming Nov. 9 action on the proposed amendments to the Elections Code and Section 91 in one printed issue of the Daily Aztec, the Nov. 4 issue.   MASENGALE/BYRD   CARRIED, (10-0-0)

 

 

VIII. CLOSED SESSION (Closed to Non-Members): None.

 

IX. BOARD OF DIRECTORS COMMITTEE REPORTS:

  1. Facilities Board: Approved name plates for all the rooms in the union. The board is also working on making a three-dimensional model for the union.
  2. Financial Affairs Committee: Re-budgets are being reviewed.
  3. Marketing and Communications Committee: Aztecs Rock Hunger is in full swing.

 

X. EXECUTIVE REPORTS:

  1. President: Blaire Ward reported on the following:
    1. There is a lot of discussion going on at the Student Diversity Commission and she will be working with Arnelle and Itzelt.
  2. Executive Vice President: Leo Carrillo reported on the following:
    1. Aztecs Rock Hunger is active on social media
    2. Encouraged everyone to pick up tickets to the first basketball game!
  3. Vice President of External Relations: Tyler Aguilar reported on the following:
    1. Manty Block is coming in 2 weeks at 12:30pm on November 9th in Visionary Suite.
    2. Presidential debates will be shown in the union.
  4. Vice President of Financial Affairs: Dominic Bilotti reported on the following:
    1. Aztecs Rock Hunger is at day five today. Dom encouraged everyone to sign up to table and promote.
  5. Vice President of University Affairs: Andrea Byrd reported on the following:
    1. Next University Council meeting on November 4th, Cathie Pucher, Director of Zahn Center and Vanessa Garcia from Capital Fellows Program will be coming to speak.
    2. University Affairs Board is proposing updates to the resolution process.
    3. November 16th-19th are college council forums.
  6. Executive Director: Christina Brown reported on the following:
    1. Recreation is working on a new brochure and just posted an annual report on their website.
    2. Union: researched on a student media center continues and working on the student lounge.
    3. Senate self-study is turned in.
    4. Children’s Center: now that the state of California is offering pre-k schooling for 4 year- olds, the center is focusing on retention of their 4 year-olds.
    5. Cal Coast Credit Union Open Air Theater is in phase 3 of upgrade-focus is on restrooms.

 

XI. REPORTS OF BOARD OF DIRECTORS:

  1. Trevor Yarnall reported on the following:
    1. Beer garden is still on pending university approval. Getting craft brewer students involved in the event.
  2. Patty Masengale reported on the following:
    1. Greenfest is coming together.
    2. Working on green guidelines for all events.
    3. Recommended Marcom Commission as non-voting member of Board of Director.
  3. Lorena Acosta reported on the following:
    1. Reminded everyone to meet with their A.S mentees.
    2. Encouraged everyone to come and bring their friends to the ASUB Halloween event.
  4. Keagan Casey reported on the following:
    1. Meeting with College of Health and Human Services college council to go over their goals.
  5. Anthony Lee reported on the following:
    1. Attended a technical SDSU App meeting with Modo Labs/Kurugo today. Features such as geo-beacon notifications are possible. Webportal integration into the app would not take place until we make the site mobile friendly.
    2. Met with Christina and Dom to discuss A.S’s potential contribution to the establishment of a SDSU App. This was in preparation for Greg Block’s written proposal going to ETAC.
    3. He will attend a meeting with specialized recruitment officers from Enrollment Management on November 10th to discuss improvements in Native American Student Alliance for further student representatives.
    4. Andrea, Brandi and Anthony finished editing the legislation procedure for A.S resolutions last week.
    5. Debbie Richeson will be at Campus Community Commission and SDSU Commuter Board to talk about parking updates.
    6. This past Tuesday, Anthony spoke with representatives from Harvard University about their banking process. He will be meeting with the A.S Finance director about options and a future plan for an improvement to student organization banking.

XII. ADJOURNMENT

The meeting was adjourned at 6:43 PM.

MASENGALE/ACOSTA    CARRIED

 

APPROVED BY: Blaire Ward, A.S. President

PREPARED BY:  Linh Phan, A.S. Government Secretary