Monday, October 12, 2015 – 3:00 PM
Council Chambers • Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union
I. CALL TO ORDER
A.S. President, Blaire Ward called the meeting to order at 4:01 PM in the Council Chambers at the Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union.
II. ROLL CALL
- Voting Members Present: Blaire Ward, Leo Carrillo, Tyler Aguilar, Dominic Bilotti, Andrea Byrd, Lorena Acosta, Keagan Casey, Sergio Cisneros, Anthony Lee, Patty Masengale, Trevor Yarnall.
- Voting Members Absent: Jessica Rentto, Christy Samarkos.
- Non-Voting Members Present: Dean Randy Timm for Christy Samarkos, Christina Brown, Linh Phan.
- Non-Voting Members Absent: None.
- Visitors: Chloe Sension, David Ellman, Clayton Bishop, Jennifer Esquivel-Parker.
III. APPROVAL OF AGENDA
It was moved and seconded to approve the agenda for today’s meeting. CASEY/YARNALL
Anthony Lee made a friendly amendment under item XI. Reports of Board of Directors to correct his reports.
The agenda was approved as amended.
IV. APPROVAL OF PREVIOUS MINUTES
It was moved and seconded to approve the Board of Directors meeting minutes of 8/31/15, as attached. ACOSTA/CISNEROS CARRIE
V. PUBLIC COMMENT:
VI. UNIVERSITY REPORTS AND PRESENTATIONS:
- Business and Financial Affairs Designee: None.
- University President’s Designee, Dean Randy Timm for Christy Samarkos:
- National Coming Out Week from October 7-16th
- Aztec Core is from Jan 5th-7th. Jessica highly suggests that A.S leaders attend this retreat.
- Portfolium is where extracurricular transcript will be stored from now on.
- SDSU Leadership summit is on February 20th. Proposals are due Friday, January 8th.
VII. ITEMS FOR CONSIDERATION:
- General Consent Agenda (Action): It was moved and seconded to approve the General Consent Agenda, as attached. ACOSTA/BYRD CARRIED
- General Consent Report (Information): The general consent report was reviewed.
- #BAF15- 01 Eections Code: David and Chloe went over the changes that were made to the elections code to BOD members.
VIII. CLOSED SESSION (Closed to Non-Members):
IX. BOARD OF DIRECTORS COMMITTEE REPORTS:
- Facilities Committee: Visited the Cal Coast Credit Union Open Air Theater last week. They will resume meetings on this Thursday. There is a 3D printing company that wants to make a model of the Student Union for free.
- Financial Affairs Committee: Toured all facilities to let them know about budget. Marketing and Communications Committee: The committee is working with Aztecs Rock Hunger. They are still looking for different ways to reach out to students.
X. EXECUTIVE REPORTS:
- President: Blaire Ward reported on the following:
- Reminded BOD members to come talk to Blaire about visions and progress of boards and commissions.
- Reminded everyone to keep relationship building in mind, especially with the Flexies and Flis.
- Encouraged members to sign up to be a mentor!
- This weekend, Blaire will meet with alumni to get more alumni engagement in San Jose. Let Blaire know if you want to come.
- Had a meeting with President Hirshman on last Friday and it went great!
- Blaire is very excited about the booksharing installment in the SDSU Children’s Center.
- Executive Vice President: Leo Carrillo reported on the following: 1.
- Encouraged members to participate in Homecoming student team competition!
- Leo is pushing for everyone to get out of their comfort zone and talk to strangers about how to get involved on campus.
- Vice President of External Relations: Tyler Aguilar reported on the following:
- Aztec Government Outreach Day will be on Friday, November 13th.
- The new motor voter bill lets anyone that goes to the DMV automatically register to vote, unless they opt out.
- Undocumented licenses are available now.
- High schools are now required to go through sexual assault training, unless parents choose to opt them out.
- There are new regulation laws for medical marijuana. It is a package of 3 bills: regulation, cultivation, taxing/revenue. This is a guaranteed proposition in 2016 to make California the 4th state to have recreationally legal marijuana.
- The 2015 California Equal Pay Act has been passed and it closes the gender wage gap.
- There is a ban on concealed weapons at high schools and colleges.
- Cheerleading is officially recognized as a varsity athletic sport.
- Beer bikes are legal in California.
- There is a new law that states paparazzi drones as illegal objects.
- Right to Die Bill: assisted suicide to terminally ill or dying patients in California hospitals.
- Vice President of Financial Affairs: Dominic Bilotti reported on the following:
- Showed BOD members the Aztecs Rock Hunger campaign video.
- This week is the busiest concert schedule week! Dom will be taking advantage of this to pre-launch for Aztecs Rock Hunger.
- Vice President of University Affairs: Andrea Byrd reported on the following:
- Wednesday, October 14th, Aztec Culture Education will be having its first meeting.
- Andrea already reserved a week in November for college councils to table or have open forums in the Goldberg courtyard.
- Executive Director: Christina Brown reported on the following:
- Kathy La Master is retiring. She will be working closely with the directors to make sure that they are very well-informed about the Student Success Fee.
- AB 540 will equate to the GMAT for undocumented students to have a chance of higher education.
- She is in the process of writing the A.S self-study for the University Senate review.
- On October 20th and 21st, the finalist for the new Union director will be chosen.
XI. REPORTS OF BOARD OF DIRECTORS:
- Trevor Yarnall reported on the following:
- Trevor will be meeting with Randy Timm to discuss further about beer garden project.
- He will be setting up meetings with student organizations to talk about A.S.
- Patty Masengale reported on the following:
- The theme for Join Us campaign this year is suicide prevention awareness. Let Patty know if you have any ideas.
- Budget for Greenfest was approved on Friday.
- Offered her house for bonding events.
- Reminded BOD members to be mindful and to not say rush A.S anymore.
- Lorena Acosta reported on the following:
- There will be a meet your mentees event this Friday from 1-2pm. Paige will be sending out an email about this.
- Keagan Casey reported on the following:
- Met with College of Arts and Letters representatives. Keagan still needs to meet with Health and Human Services representatives.
- Bylaws are due on the 23rd to Jen.
- He is working on the new template for bylaws with Andrea.
- Fun facts from University Council meeting: the new wait-list system was proposed in 2012!
- Anthony Lee reported on the following:
- On Friday, Anthony met with Modo Labs (Kurugo) to go over functionality and customization of their mobile app services. Modo Labs also mentioned that they have a negotiated a standard price for all CSU’s.
- Presented to University Affairs Board the new proposed resolution process. Main points of discussion were resolutions made by outside authors vs. internal A.S authors.
- Reported on last week’s Diversity, Equity and Outreach committee meetings. Mainly discussed the data on Fall 2015 admission and enrollment of American Indian and African American students, and exploring a possible Dream Center or a centralization of resources for SDSU undocumented students.
- Anthony met with Associate Vice President, Tony Chung, this past Monday to discuss potential campus wide @mail.sdsu.edu email accounts.
- Sergio Cisneros reported on the following:
- There were 68 proposals fro Student Success Fee.
- Gave a shout-out to college of sciences for having the drive to wake up at 7:15am for their meetings!
The meeting was adjourned at 6:00 PM. MASENGALE/BILOTTI CARRIED