A.S. President, J. Cole called the meeting to order at 3:07 PM at the Council Chambers at the Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union.
A. Voting Members Present: J. Cole, Kevin Hancock, Jacqueline Karczewski, Alex Padua, Corey Polant, Keagan Casey, Maneet Deol, Alexandria Johnstone, Chad Karczewski, Kyle Murphy, Eric Rivera.
B. Voting Members Absent: Marilyn Martinez.
C. Non-Voting Members Present: Christina Brown, Clarice Mendoza.
D. Non-Voting Members Absent: Dr. Timothy Quinnan.
E. Visitors: None.
It was moved and seconded to approve the agenda for today’s meeting.
A friendly amendment was made to switch Item F under Items for Consideration from an action item to an information item. A friendly amendment was made to add a time certain of adjournment at 5:30 PM. A friendly amendment was made to add a time certain for closed session at 4:30 PM.
The minutes were approved as amended.
It was moved and seconded to approve the Board of Directors meeting minutes of 4/30/14, as attached.
Jacqueline Karczewski made a friendly amendment to Item E under Items for Consideration, correcting the wording to read that A.S. Chief Justice Kiana Caton administered the Oath of Office to the 2014/15 Judicial Affairs Council.
The minutes were approved as amended.
A. Business and Financial Affairs Designee:
B. University President’s Designee: Vice President Eric Rivera reported on the following:
1. This upcoming year will be an exciting one and Eric is looking forward to working with everyone for an impactful year.
2. Currently, the Division of Student Affairs is preparing for 10 freshmen student orientations and 5 transfer student orientations next month.
3. J. Cole will be speaking to up to 8,000 people at New Student and Family Convocation.
4. The value of SDSU has risen, making it more important for Student Life and Leadership to make a meaningful relationship with the community and begin programming at the Commuter Center before classes start. 78,000 applicants were turned in last fall.
5. SLL will be looking into making the LGBT Pride Center a symbolic "point of pride" for SDSU students.
A. Start-up at State Presentation (Information): Bernie Schroeder, Director of the Lavin Entrepreneurship Center and Glen Brandenburg, A.S. Director of Facilities and Sustainability, made a presentation on the following:
1. Bernie provided the Board of Directors with his experiences and background as a student and currently as the Director of the Lavin Entrepreneurship Center. He has always sought for a blend of academia and entrepreneurship at SDSU.
2. There are opportunities for entrepreneurship in each major and currently SDSU lacks a hub for these opportunities to flourish. A physical space preserved for this purpose will help students see the world with an entrepreneurial point of view. Bernie described his vision for the Start-up at State Center and Christina further explained the context for this concept and its proposed location.
3. Glen explained how an educational component of the Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union’s LEED Platinum Certification will be in this center, showcasing the many sustainable and innovative features of the A.S. facility.
B. Minimum Wage Increase Proposal (Action): Patty Rea, Human Resources Director, presented the proposal describing the new wages for part-time A.S. employees, effective starting June 28, 2014, reflecting the increase of minimum wage in California. It was moved and seconded to approve the minimum wage increase proposal, as attached.
C. 990 Tax Return (Information): Alex Padua, A.S. Vice President of Financial Affairs, presented the 990 Tax Return to the Board of Directors, as attached.
D. 3rd Quarter Financial Report (Information): Alex Padua, A.S. Vice President of Financial Affairs, gave a report on the comparisons between the 2012-13 3rd Quarter report and the 2013-14 3rd Quarter report, as attached.
E. General Consent Report (Information): The General Consent Report was reviewed via electronic copy. For further reference please request a full agenda copy from the Government Secretary.
F. Selection of Executive Committee (Information): The Board of Directors reviewed the bylaws describing the Executive Committee’s purpose.
G. Resolutions Process Review (Information): The Board of Directors reviewed the bylaws describing the Legislative and Judicial Affairs Council procedures. The members listed questions and changes to the bylaws that will be addressed and put into action at the next Board of Directors meeting.
It was moved and seconded to move into closed session.
It was moved and seconded to move out of closed session.
KARCZEWSKI J./HANCOCK CARRIED
The Aztec Recreation Organization Structure was approved.
President: J. Cole reported on the following:Keep in mind that for future Board of Directors meetings, members are expected to uphold the dress code of business casual attire.
The meeting was adjourned at 5:30 PM.
KARCZREWSKI, MURPHY CARRIED