A.S. President, Josh Morse called the meeting to order at 4:04 PM at the Council Chambers at the Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union.
A. Voting Members Present: Josh Morse, Becca Cohen, Javier Gomez, Mariah Kelly, Morgan Chan, Jonathan Cole, Josh Garman, Kevin Hancock, Chad Karczewski, Washington Navarrete, Jessika Seekatz, Nancy Demich.
B. Voting Members Absent: Eric Rivera.
C. Non-Voting Members Present: Christina Brown, Clarice Mendoza, Dr. Timothy Quinnan.
D. Non-Voting Members Absent: None.
E. Visitors Present: Carlos Careaga, Jennifer Esquivel-Parker, Nadir Bouhmouch, Osama Alkhawaja, Keagan Casey, Alex Johnstone, Kyle Murphy.
It was moved and seconded to approve the agenda for today’s meeting.
It was moved and seconded to approve the Board of Directors meeting minutes of 4/14/14, as attached.
A. Osama Alkawhaja, Student, reported on his disappointment in the unjust way University Council handled the Resolution in Support of Divestment for the Human Rights of the Palestinian People last Wednesday. He addressed the argument that all people have their own truths they find personally find valid, but some truths must be held greater to other truths. Representatives of students need to stand up for justice.
B. Nadir Bouhmouch, Student, reported on his disappointment in Associated Students and the leaders that sit on its boards and councils. The failing of the Resolution last Wednesday is an insult to Student Diversity Commission, the authors of the Resolution, Palestinians who are currently suffering, and to Nadir himself. Unjust criticisms were made to the Resolution, leading to a questioning of the purpose of University Council.
A. Business and Financial Affairs Designee: Nancy Demich: No report.
B. University President’s Designee: Dr. Timothy Quinnan reported on the following:
1. There are three searches ongoing at the moment. Applications for the Assistant Dean for Greek Life are now closed. A full search is underway for the Assistant Dean of Business and Assistant Dean of Education.
2. Thank you to the three A.S. students who volunteered to sit on the Sexual Violence Prevention taskforce!
A. General Consent Agenda (Action): It was moved and seconded to approve the General Consent Agenda, as attached.
B. General Consent Report (Information): The General Consent Report was reviewed via electronic copy. For further reference please request a full agenda copy from the Government Secretary.
C. A.S. Budget for 2014-2015 (Action): It was moved and seconded to approve the A.S. Budget for 2014-15, as attached.
It was moved and seconded to add the A.S.’ Support to the University under the Highlights & Assumptions portion of the 2014-15 A.S. Budget, which will read:
"The A.S. budget continues to include support to the University in key student areas and facility maintenance. A.S. has incorporated $180,000 in Student Affairs oversight, $162,714 for the operations and maintenance of the Alumni Center, $75,000 for Aztec Nights and $143,377 for the non-student fee financed leases that support the Center for Intercultural Relations."
The A.S. Budget for 2014-15 was approved as amended.
D. Proposed Bylaw Amendments (Action): It was moved and seconded to approve Bylaw Amendments S14-01 to S14-07, as attached.
E. Resolution Process (Discussion): The Board of Directors had discussion on the Resolution process and the role of the Board of Directors members when University Council is having readings of a resolution. The difference between the value of the student voice and the representative’s own voice was distinguished and representative duties were discussed. Concerns about the new structure and its effect on the on the student’s need to feel empowered. Points from this discussion were noted to improve the resolution process for future resolutions.
A. President: Josh Morse reported on the following:
1. It’s been real. The Board of Directors have painted a chaotic, but beautiful picture for incoming members and the new structure. It’s important to learn from our mistakes and reflect on how much of an honor it has been to serve.
B. Vice President of External Relations: Javier Gomez reported on the following:
1. Javier will be going to Sacramento to advocate for higher education with Jacqueline Karczewski, representatives from UCSD, and Southwestern College.
C. Executive Director: Christina Brown reported on the following:
1. Thank you for your continuity of great discussions throughout the year!
A. Jonathan Cole reported:
1. Congrats and respect to the graduating seniors!
B. Joshua Garman reported:
1. This is a bittersweet end to such a grand year.
2. Keep a good relationship with Cal Coast Credit Union!
C. Kevin Hancock reported:
1. Go Aztecs and Steve Fisher! It’s been fun!
D. Chad Karczewski reported:
1. Facilities Committee had a great meeting today with Aztec Shops.
E. Washington Navarrete reported:
1. The meetings about improving high school conferences will be held during finals. A list of each participating organization’s necessary members for high school conference success will be made at the next meeting.
F. Jessika Seekatz reported:
1.A possible closing retreat is being discussed for outgoing members and incoming members.
2.Thank you for all your honesty these past couple of weeks.
The meeting was adjourned at 6:15 PM.