A.S. President, Josh Morse called the meeting to order at 4:03 PM at the Stephen L. Weber Board at the Parma Payne Goodall Alumni Center.
It was moved and seconded to approve the agenda for today’s meeting.
It was moved and seconded to approve the Board of Directors meeting minutes of 11/2/13, as attached.
A. Business and Financial Affairs Designee: Nancy Demich reported on the following:
1. The Smoke-Free Campus Policy Implementation Group will be meeting this week.
2. The Division of Business and Financial Affairs and the Division of Student Affairs have been discussing the power outage this past weekend.
B. University President’s Designee: Eric Rivera reported on the following:
1. The Aztec Student Union is impressive! Congratulations to Associated Students for making the building of this facility happen! We look forward to its grand opening next semester.
2. Good luck on finals!
A. General Consent Agenda (Action): It was moved and seconded to approve the General Consent Agenda, as attached. HANCOCK/NAVARRETE CARRIED
B. General Consent Report (Information): The General Consent Report was reviewed via electronic copy. For further reference please request a full agenda copy from the Government Secretary. A.S. President Josh Morse administered the Oath of Office to Chad Karczewski, as newly appointed A.S. Board of Directors Student-at-Large.
C. First Quarter Final Report (Information): Carlos Careaga, Interim Finance Director, reviewed Associated Students’ First Quarter Financial Report, as attached, previously reviewed by the Financial Affairs Committee. Cumulative revenue and expenditure reports were explained.
D. Proposed Bylaw Amendments (Action): It was moved and seconded to approve the Proposed Bylaw Amendments #BA F13-01 through #BA F13-19, as attached. GARMAN/SEEKATZ Javier Gomez made a friendly amendment to the third clause of Section 1.02.3 in #BA F13- 13, adding "as granted by the election of the Board of Directors." It was moved and seconded to change the deadline of the candidates’ campaign finance statements noted in clause 5.01 of Section 5 in #BA F13-19, from 9 AM to 12 noon. COHEN/NAVARRETE FAILED, (3-7-0) The proposed bylaw amendments were all approved as amended.
It was moved and seconded to move into closed session.
It was moved and seconded to approve all proposed full time staff salary adjustments.
It was moved and seconded to move out of closed session.
Patty Rea, Human Resources Director, presented proposed salary adjustments for fulltime staff during closed session.
A. President: Josh Morse reported on the following:
1. The Board of Directors are encouraged to attend the Vice President for Student Affairs forum.
2. The 360° surveys have been sent to your e-mails. Please fill out these and give helpful, constructive feedback to improve the executive officers.
3. Congratulations to Chad Karczewski, our newest Board of Directors Student-at-Large member.
4. The Campus Fee Advisory Committee would like students to be a part of the forums discussing fees affecting students in the future. These fees will need to be finalized next semester.
5. Josh expressed how proud he is of the Board of Directors this semester for their high caliber of work. Next meeting will be in our all-new Union!
B. Executive Vice President: Becca Cohen reported on the following:
1. Facilities Committee had their last meeting.
2. Becca will be checking the submissions for A.S. Member of the Month today. The individual chosen will be recognized in January.
3. Congratulations to Ezinne Ofeogbu, our newest Aztec Student Union Board Representative, and Megan Goodman, our newest Sustainability Commission Representative! All the Campus Life Council seats have been filled.
C. Vice President of External Relations: Javier Gomez reported on the following:
1. The Good Neighbor Program will be caroling and canvasing on December 5 to our neighbors in the SDSU college area.
2. The A.S. Leaders’ Holiday Party will be this Wednesday at BJ’s, after the Campus Life Council meeting. There will be a white elephant gift exchange, where the maximum is $15.
3. The search committee responsible for hiring a new Chief of Police will be reviewing the 10 finalist candidates on January 8 and 9.
4. Kevin Faulconer and David Alvarez will be running against each other for mayor of San Diego in a run-off election in early February.
D. Vice President of University Affairs: Morgan Chan reported on the following:
1. University Council is working to improve the culture of their college councils. The representatives sitting on the council are now working more closely with their presidents to create more unity within the council.
2. Morgan will be meeting the college representatives individually by college to resolve any issues they may have within their councils. The Board of Directors are welcome to join in.
3. The Bike Lane Day was a success, despite the weather on Thursday. Morgan gave a report on how the Wednesday to Thursday event went.
E. Executive Director: Christina Brown reported on the following:
1. The Associated Students department offices are packing up and getting ready to move into the Union.
2. There will be six Aztec Nights events in the first 10 days of the Union’s opening on January 22. Visit http://aztecstudent union.com for more updates on the Union’s progress and for more information about opening week events.
3. Christina updated the Board of Directors on the work she has been doing on planning the ribbon-cutting ceremony, open house, and Legacy of Leadership Gala during Grand Dedication week.
A. Kevin Hancock reported:
1. Go Aztecs!
B. Washington Navarrete reported:
1. The Recruitment and Retention Working Group’s last meeting is this week.
2. The GreenFest Executive Committee submitted a video about SDSU’s GreenFest to a contest to present how SDSU’s celebrates sustainability on campus.
3. Washington will be attending a national college student leadership conference in Boston, representing of ASUB.
C. Jessika Seekatz reported:
1. Stav Geffner and Jessika have been offered to do research on the research programs at SDSU, by the Research taskforce, as a 2-unit credited course. As a result of the course, a drafted proposal shall be made to communicate what research programs need at SDSU.
The meeting was adjourned at 6:30pm.