Monday, September 23, 2013 – 4:00 PM
Stephen L. Weber Boardroom • PPGAC Alumni Center
I. CALL TO ORDER
A.S. President, Josh Morse called the meeting to order at 4:04 PM at the SLW Boardroom at the PPG Alumni Center.
II. ROLL CALL
- Voting Members Present: Josh Morse, Becca Cohen, Javier Gomez, Mariah Kelly, Morgan Chan, Jonathan Cole, Josh Garman, Kevin Hancock, Washington Navarrete, Eric Rivera, Nancy Demich
- Voting Members Absent: Jessika Seekatz
- Non-Voting Members Present: Christina Brown, Clarice Mendoza, Dr. Timothy Quinnan
- Non-Voting Members Absent: None
- Visitors Present: Adam Burkhart, Carlos Careaga, Tyler French
III. APPROVAL OF AGENDA
It was moved and seconded to approve the agenda for today’s meeting.
IV. APPROVAL OF PREVIOUS MINUTES
It was moved and seconded to approve the Board of Directors meeting minutes of 9/23/13, as attached.
V. PUBLIC COMMENT
VI. UNIVERSITY REPORTS AND PRESENTATIONS
- Business and Financial Affairs Designee: Nancy Demich reported on the following:
- The smoking policy’s implementation process is now underway, after it was put on hold, due to its review with the unions. An implementation committee will help put the policy in place.
- University President’s Designee: Eric Rivera: None.
- Student Affairs Strategic Plan: Dr. Timothy Quinnan, the Associate Vice President for Campus Life:
- reported on the 2-year strategic plan developed for the Dividion of Student Affairs. Dr. Quinnan noted the mission, vision, values, plans for execution, and the goals they hope achieve through this plan.
VII. ITEMS FOR CONSIDERATION
- General Consent Agenda (Action): It was moved and seconded to approve the General Consent Agenda, except the 9/23 Financial Affairs Committee minutes, as attached. The 9/23 Financial Affairs Committee minutes will be approved in Action E under Items for Consideration.
- General Consent Report (Information): The General Consent Report was reviewed via electronic copy. For further reference please request a full agenda copy from the Government Secretary.
It was moved and seconded to separate out the Campus Program Funding minutes from September 4, 2013, from the General Consent Report to create Item E under Items for Consideration.
- A.S. Government Key Priority Goals (Information): The executive officers reviewed the key priority goals and how the student-at-large members can assist the executive officers in achieving the key priority goals.
- A.S. Financial Report 2012-2013 (Action): It was moved and seconded to approve the A.S. Financial Report of the 2012-13 school year.
- Campus Program Funding Minutes and Financial Affairs Committee Minutes (Action): It was moved and seconded to approve the Campus Program Funding minutes from September 4, 2013 and the Financial Affairs Committee minutes from September 23, 2013, as attached.
VIII. CLOSED SESSION (Closed to Non-Members)
IX. EXECUTIVE REPORTS
- President: Josh Morse reported on the following:
- It was a great opportunity speaking to the new freshmen and their families this past Saturday at the Family Breakfast. Acting Vice President of Student Affairs Eric Rivera also presented. An award was presented to Provost Nancy Marlin for her dedication and passion towards academic quality for her past 15 years as SDSU’s Provost.Fundraising is a new notion for Associated Students. It is Josh’s goal to execute affective fundraising for the corporation.The university will be gathering student feedback on the possibility of an excellence fee at SDSU.
- Executive Vice President: Becca Cohen reported on the following:
- The polo t-shirts for all BOD, CLC, UC, and JAC members have arrived.
- All A.S. Government members are encouraged to attend Fantastic Friday on October 4 from 1-4 PM. This event is designed for all board and committee members to attend and ask current A.S. Government position holders can come and ask any questions about furthering their involvement in Associated Students. After Fantastic Friday, everyone will be boarding the trolley to the football game that night against University of Nevada.
- Becca and the Awards Committee will be working on an A.S. Member of the Month recognition soon. This award is open to all students who volunteer with A.S.
- Vice President of External Relations: Javier Gomez reported on the following:
- National Voter’s Registration Day is tomorrow! External Relations Board will be out on campus from 10 AM-2 PM allowing students a chance to register to vote if they have not already.
- Lobbying in Washington D.C. with CSSA was life changing. It was impressive seeing the presence that CSU students have in Washington D.C. working with officials. Javier also got the chance to see Tom Rivera and Krista Parker, former A.S. Vice Presidents of External Affairs.
- CSSA was last weekend at CSU Stanislaus. CSU representatives worked to get their policy agenda ready and formed ideas for bills they would like to see passed to benefit higher education.
- The first Good Neighbor Program meeting will be this Thursday in Aztec Mesa 104, at 4 PM.
- Working on a report about the executive officers’ visit to Ohio State to enlighten future executive officers of what they learned from their experiences there.
- Vice President of Financial Affairs: Mariah Kelly reported on the following:
- Aztecs Rock Hunger will be from October 3 to 27. SDSU’s goal is to raise 150,000 pounds of food. A working group has been formed to work on how to achieve this goal and let every Aztec know about this school-wide philanthropy.
- The bookstore is hosting a Community Service Contest for National Student Day. The deadline to submit all of your community service hours is on Friday, September 28 by 4:30 PM to the Student Life and Leadership office. The National Student Day celebration will be held on Thursday, October 4 from 1-1:30 PM at the SDSU Bookstore.
- Vice President of University Affairs: Morgan Chan reported on the following:
- University Affairs Board has created ad hoc committees at their last meeting: one to focus on campus safety and another to focus on academic issues. They also had a presentation from Chief Secka about how to improve campus health and safety, in terms of minimizing the need for alcohol transports and mental health-related incidents.
- After the last University Council meeting, Morgan was able to sit down with any UC members who didn’t attend the retreat in August and get them up to speed on what they missed.
- Executive Director: Christina Brown reported on the following:
- State of the A.S. at the Aquaplex is this Thursday. Tom McCarron, Vice President for Business and Financial Affairs, and Eric Rivera, Acting Vice President for Student Affairs, have been invited to speak.
X. REPORTS OF BOARD OF DIRECTORS
The meeting was adjourned at 5:28pm.