Monday, June 10, 2013 – 3:00pm
Mudd Conference Room (Alumni Association) • PPGAC
I. CALL TO ORDER:
A.S. President, Josh Morse called the meeting to order at 3:00 PM at the Mudd Conference Room, at the PPG Alumni Center.
II. ROLL CALL:
- Voting Members Present: Josh Morse, Becca Cohen, Javier Gomez, Mariah Kelly, Morgan Chan, Jonathan Cole, Josh Garman, Washington Navarrette, Celeste Rodriguez, Nancy Demich
- Voting Members Absent: Kevin Hancock, Jessika Seekatz, Dr. Tim Quinnan
- Ex-Officios (non-voting) Present: Christina Brown, Eric Rivera, Clarice Mendoza
- Ex-Officios (non-voting) Absent: None.
- Visitors Present: John Kolek
III. APPROVAL OF AGENDA
It was moved and seconded to approve the agenda for today’s meeting.
Josh Morse made a friendly amendment to add a presentation on the Solar Panel Project as Action Item B.
Agenda was approved as amended.
IV. APPROVAL OF PREVIOUS MINUTES
It was moved and seconded to approve the Board of Directors meeting minutes of 5/1/13, as attached.
V. APPOINTMENTS AND RESIGNATIONS
It was moved and seconded to approve the appointments and resignations of 6/10/13 as attached.
VI. EXECUTIVE REPORTS
- President: Josh Morse reported on the following:
- The pre-summer retreat was very successful. About 60% of the Councils’ members attended.
- Josh had a meeting with President Hirshman about their key priority goals for the university. It was also discussed how the strategic plan will align with these key priority goals.
- The Board of Directors will work on setting their key priority goals at the next meeting on July 15.
- Currently, Josh is working with Student Life and Leadership to make a co-curricular map.
- Executive Vice President: Becca Cohen reported on the following:
- Planning for the retreat in August is currently in progress. Jen and Becca will be going to Julian to visit the venue in the near future.
- There was a great turnout for the Homecoming theme survey and officially, the theme of the 2013 Homecoming is Rise of the Aztecs. If you know any students, faculty members, or artists in the community who would be interested in submitting a design for the Homecoming t-shirts, details about the contest will be announced in the next few weeks.
- Vice President of External Affairs: Javier Gomez reported on the following:
- A few appointments have been made: Robby Rosenthal and Bree Lutjens as co-commissioners of the Marketing and Communications Committee and Jenna Jahn as commissioner of Legislative Research Committee.
- This upcoming weekend, Javier will be going up to the CSSA Meeting in Monterey Bay with Josh. Items that will be discussed at the meeting include distance learning.
- The weekly College Area Community Council meetings have been going great.
- Vice President of Finance: Mariah Kelly reported on the following:
- Currently working on changes to the Finance Board and its structure. Mariah wants to make it more focused and to provide more of a learning output.
- Aztecs Rock Hunger planning is underway.
- This year, Mariah wants to improve the high school conferences held by the cultural organizations every year.
- Vice President of University Affairs: Morgan Chan reported on the following:
- The details and procedures of the Senate Round Table are still being figured out.
- There will be a retreat for the College Council presidents in the fall.
- Last Saturday, there was a community event to start making way for the Campus Community Garden.
- Executive Director: Christina Brown reported on the following:
- If you have heard any news stories about alleged criminal activity at the Mission Bay Sports Center, be assured that this facility has no relation to the Mission Bay Aquatic Center or SDSU.
- The new Vice President of Business and Financial Affairs, Tom McCarron is excited to work with the students at SDSU. Christina recently met with the new Vice President.
- University President’s Designee: Eric Rivera reported on the following:
- Eric is very grateful to be with working with the Board of Directors. He reminded the members to heed President Hirshman’s recommendations to focus in on their priorities, and the 2013-2014 academic year will surely be a historical one.
- Vice President, Business & Financial Affairs’ Designee: Nancy Demich reported on the following:
- Tom McCarron will be starting on June 29.
- Spread the word to your peers about preparedness and being aware on campus. Sign up for the text alerts and head over to the public safety offices to inquire about the ALICE training program.
- Viejas Arena Financial Items: Viejas Arena Director John Kolek reviewed the Viejas Arena requests of 6/3/13, copy attached. It was moved and seconded to approve the Viejas Arena request to begin two projects to build a storage facility and a catering/meeting space for the Viejas Arena.
It was moved and seconded to approve the Viejas Arena request to begin an electrical upgrade project.
- Solar Project: Morgan presented on the transfer of $650,000 from the state held fee revenue account to the state held construction account to fund the solar project, copy attached. It was moved and seconded to approve the transfer of funds to support the solar project.
IX. CLOSED SESSION (Closed to Non-Members)
It was moved and seconded to move into closed session.
It was moved and seconded to move out of closed session.
The meeting was adjourned at 4:39pm.
A.S. Council Secretary