May 1, 2013 – 6:30pm
The Fowler Family Ballroom at the Parma Payne Goodall Alumni Center
I. CALL TO ORDER
President Josh Morse called the meeting to order at 7:03 PM.
II. PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE
III. ROLL CALL
- Voting Members Present: Josh Morse, Becca Cohen, Javier Gomez, Mariah Kelly, Morgan Chan, Jonathan Cole, Joshua Garman, Kevin Hancock, Washington Navarrete, Celeste Rodriguez, Jessika Seekatz
- Voting Members Absent: Dr. Tim Quinnan
- Ex-Officios (non-voting) Present: Christina Brown, Clarice Mendoza
- Ex-Officios (non-voting) Absent: None.
- Visitors Present: Jennifer Esquivel-Parker, Marilyn Martinez, Jacqueline Karczewski, Cassandra Zimmerman, Jordan Wells, Gabrielle Gray, Alyssa Carbajal, Hassan Abdinur, Grace Diaz, Gabriela Leverette, Dara Majdi, Kelsey Schroeder, Tyler Aguilar, Jordan Wells, Michelle Ong, Corey Polant, Tianna Williams, Sean Guardian, Kiana Caton, Maneet Deol, Tyler French, Alexandria Johnstone, Abby Kim, Dillon McLean, Stav Geffner, Cindy Lopez, Helena McAllister, Jordan Harrison, Jack Losey, Sean Zaher, Lindsey Schaefer, Onochie Ani, Alex Ben, Marya Edgar, Tasnim El Mezain, Kristine Morales, Raquel Martin, Blaire Ward, Katelynne, Joshua Beverly, Michelle Mitchell, Cameron Wilmore, Alicia Zamudio Montes de Oca, Jake Garelick, Raj Mohanty
IV. SWEARING-IN CEREMONY
- 2013-2014 Vice Presidents:
A.S. President Josh Morse administered the Oath of Office to Executive Vice President Becca Cohen, Vice President of External Relations Javier Gomez, Vice President of Financial Affairs Mariah Kelly, and Vice President University Affairs Morgan Chan.
- 2013-2014 Board of Directors Members:
A.S. President Josh Morse administered the Oath of Office to the 2013/14 Student-at-Large Board of Directors.
V. MODIFICATIONS TO AGENDA
It was moved and seconded to approve the agenda of May 1, 2013.
VI. APPOINTMENTS AND RESIGNATIONS
It was moved and seconded to approve the Appointments and Resignations List, as attached.
VII. PUBLIC COMMENT
VIII. ADDITIONAL SWEARING-IN CEREMONY
- 2013-2014 Campus Life Council:
Executive Vice President Becca Cohen administered the Oath of Office to the 2013/14 Campus Life Council.
- 2013-2014 University Council:
Vice President of University Affairs Morgan Chan administered the Oath of Office to the 2013/14 University Council.
- 2013-2014 Judicial Affairs Council:
Vice President of External Relations Javier Gomez administered the Oath of Office to the 2013/14 Judicial Affairs Council.
IX. ITEMS FOR CONSIDERATION
2013 Summer and Fall Meeting Schedule (Action):
It was moved and seconded to approve the proposed 2013 Summer and Fall Meeting Schedule, as attached.
President – Josh Morse reported:
- Congrats to everyone who have just been sworn into A.S. Leadership. Understand the role you are to fulfill for the next year. Being the first individuals to pursue these roles in A.S. Leadership, take your position and make it your own with your imagination, passion, and charisma. This will be a year for the record books.
- With the new structure, there will be bumps in the road but it is our jobs as leaders to work through them. It’s not a perfect structure of course, but we’ll just have to adapt.
- The first ever A.S. President’s Round Table was last week. The past seven A.S. Presidents were invited to discuss A.S.’ achievements in the past years, such as the building of the Aztec Student Union and A.S. Government’s most recent restructure. The past A.S. Presidents and Josh walked through the Student Union Building, and it was great to see the formation of a project that they all had a part of.
Executive Vice President – Becca Cohen reported:
- The retreat for A.S. Leadership is May 17. Join the Board of Directors for a Day at the Bay! Please attend and take this opportunity to get to know the members of other Councils.
- The summer retreat will be August 19-21 at Camp Cedar Glen in Julian. This retreat is mandatory for all members of the four Councils. If you cannot make it, please let Becca or Jen know as soon as possible.
- If you have any questions about your positions or Associated Students, Becca welcomes everyone to stop by her office. She upholds an open door policy.
- Congratulations to everyone!
Vice President of External Affairs – Javier Gomez reported:
Congratulations new Council members! This will be one of the best experiences that you’ll ever have. We do have our work cut out for us, but please be assured that next year will be the most historical year of leadership at SDSU.
Vice President of Finance – Mariah Kelly reported:
She is very excited for this upcoming year. Let’s rock and roll!
Vice President of University Affairs – Morgan Chan reported:
- Congrats on being elected or appointed into your positions!
- Members of the Councils are encouraged to attend the retreats and get to know everyone from the beginning. Remember that these Councils are what we make them and everyone has something to bring to the table.
Executive Director – Christina Brown reported:
All are encouraged to ask a lot of questions as there will be a lot of uncertainty in the next year. As a new Council member in this new structure, all of you will be setting the ground work for decades to come. Talk amongst yourselves and with those around you.
It was moved and seconded to adjourn the meeting.
A.S. President Josh Morse adjourned the meeting at 7:33 PM.
A.S. Council Secretary